cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Connect 7 - Stuff n Thaangs

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This can be used as a Megathread to discuss everything announced at the conference. Which begins in 27 minutes!
253 REPLIES 253

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

Calibos said:

Rift S is dead next Spring. Told Ya!!

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-killing-oculus-rift/

Obvious. I think most people knew this was coming. But what it ultimately means is all the prototype tech we've seen will hopefully make it into Quest 3/4/5 etc. 

Yeah I have been saying it was all moving to Quest for a while now and got a lot of pushback on it.
This one is no surprise to me.

But you did also say that the Oculus name/brand was getting removed. You and kevin doubled down on that quite a bit. Yet it turned out to be false.

If the Rift = Dead prediction turns out true, then cool. 1 out of 2 predictions aint bad.  🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP
I don't know about other regions, but for me the battery strap is listed as Unavailable. But Zenbane's pic showed it added to the cart.

So the default strap is worse than Quest 1 and weight is barely lighter (probably the strap difference makes up a lot of that). I'm already concerned about it hurting my face like Quest.
The battery strap should help (more weight to the back to balance). But a rigid strap with larger box on the back (compared to Quest 1) sucks if you want to watch movies while sitting in a high back chair or lying down.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Luciferous
Consultant
I think them saying we have a much better way to play pc-vr content than the Rift leaves much to the imagination. Sticking the knife in the Rift S users seems a little unnecessary. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just watching the unboxing in another thread i can see " White" being a big issue and getting grubby very quickly especially that fabric strap in fact the reviewer commented he could already see marks.
IPD adjustment seems very cheap and clicky ( perhaps im wrong ) but externally it does have a cheaper plastic look which is fair enough considering the price.

I probably will get one later but i think i will let others do that first and see what they think.
🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:

Oh so the Rift is dead, in the future at least. Well at least we won’t have to argue about that anymore.

I spit my coffee out when she trolled Rift S users by telling them the best way to play PCVR was with the Quest II and the link cable...that was just mean. lol

Well, the Rift-S isn't even the best Rift for PCVR. 🙂
I was just playing Audica while waiting for the conference. I've got a Rift-S and Quest connected to my PC, but I used my CV1.

(I do like the Rift-S for things like Elite Dangerous, but that will become the job of the Reverb G2 I ordered today. My CV1 is still the go-to headset for dark games and things with good audio)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

I don't know about other regions, but for me the battery strap is listed as Unavailable. But Zenbane's pic showed it added to the cart.

So the default strap is worse than Quest 1 and weight is barely lighter (probably the strap difference makes up a lot of that). I'm already concerned about it hurting my face like Quest.
The battery strap should help (more weight to the back to balance). But a rigid strap with larger box on the back (compared to Quest 1) sucks if you want to watch movies while sitting in a high back chair or lying down.

Shaving things off makes things cheaper that's why you have to pay for these comfort addons. A single LCD display will have saved them some money instead of using Oled displays too.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm chuckling at the memory of all those who were praying that MoH would not be made for Quest 2 - now it may look better in that than anything else. Of course they will disagree - but I don't care - mirth!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

kojack
MVP
MVP

Just watching the unboxing in another thread i can see " White" being a big issue and getting grubby very quickly especially that fabric strap in fact the reviewer commented he could already see marks.

The Quest's fabric body gets dirty from handling and is much harder to clean than a removable strap.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

OmegaM4N said:

Oh so the Rift is dead, in the future at least. Well at least we won’t have to argue about that anymore.

I spit my coffee out when she trolled Rift S users by telling them the best way to play PCVR was with the Quest II and the link cable...that was just mean. lol

Well, the Rift-S isn't even the best Rift for PCVR. 🙂
I was just playing Audica while waiting for the conference. I've got a Rift-S and Quest connected to my PC, but I used my CV1.

(I do like the Rift-S for things like Elite Dangerous, but that will become the job of the Reverb G2 I ordered today. My CV1 is still the go-to headset for dark games and things with good audio)

You know i had made peace somewhat with the fact that the Vr industry are going to ditch oled and go for the cheaper LCD, but now you have poked my OCD on the matter again. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

Yeah, the battery strap is not yet available in Canada either. I was thinking that I should have ordered one of the Elite straps, then noticed that the battery one includes the carry case (which I already ordered). I wonder why they would bundle it like that, when it's presumably the same case (which says it fits both versions of the Elite strap).

Anyway, the basic Elite strap can be ordered on its own, so I can always get it later after trying the standard strap. I already have a nice Anker battery pack I can use, so I don't know that I need one built into my headstrap.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo