cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP Rift Thanks for starting this crazy journey

TC1999
Adventurer
As you may have heard the Rift as a brand is now discontinued and there will be no other pc deditated VR headset from Oculus. 
I just want to say thanks Rift for all the fun and will never forget seeing that T-rex stepping over me. 

The Rift is dead - Long live the Quest !!!!!

90 REPLIES 90

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep still have the Rift CV1 sitting here all boxed up.
Have had an incredible amount of hours in with both it and now my Rift S.
Sorry to see it go.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to have to watch that part of the stream again, I was putting my shopping in the freezer so didn't hear it clearly.

Did they actually say that the Rift S was being discontinued in Spring 2021 or that the entire product line was being discontinued? If they said just the former it could mean we'll see the Rift 2 next year, perhaps?

Seems a bit of a daft decision building a brand as strong as the Oculus Rift and flushing it down the bog in favour of a brand that's less than 2 years old. ???

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I believe they said that there will be no more PCVR-only headsets, but I missed that part of the stream too (read it on UploadVR).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I still haven't heard this as official news. Just hearsay from UploadVR. I'm not denying its truth at this point; I'm just waiting for something more official.

If it's true, then hey... Rift had a great run! But Quest is clearly selling exceedingly well while high-end PCVR remains on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of ROI.

saami81
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

I still haven't heard this as official news. Just hearsay from UploadVR. I'm not denying its truth at this point; I'm just waiting for something more official.

If it's true, then hey... Rift had a great run! But Quest is clearly selling exceedingly well while high-end PCVR remains on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of ROI.

You would still need high-end pc to run Quest 2 with link. I just watched VR oasis Quest 2 stream and he said that Quest 2 with link is already on par with Rift S and it has bigger fov. In future it is propably even better.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

saami81 said:

Zenbane said:

You would still need high-end pc to run Quest 2 with link. I just watched VR oasis Quest 2 stream and he said that Quest 2 with link is already on par with Rift S and it has bigger fov. In future it is propably even better.

I think Quest 2 is great (so far). But I don't think that I would upgrade my PC for it lol

Maybe for a Reverb G2, or an Index CV2. But not a Quest.

saami81
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

saami81 said:

Zenbane said:

I think Quest 2 is great (so far). But I don't think that I would upgrade my PC for it lol

I was thinking too, if my 2070 super is good enough for Quest 2 with link. I heard it requires more horsepower than dedicated PCVR hmd for some reason.

However my Rift S left controller ring is broken in middle and doesnt track right side, so i needed to buy either new controller or hmd and since i cant find replacement controllers... Thats why i ahvent beat your beat saber scores lately 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

saami81 said:

Zenbane said:

saami81 said:

Zenbane said:

I was thinking too, if my 2070 super is good enough for Quest 2 with link. I heard it requires more horsepower than dedicated PCVR hmd for some reason.

However my Rift S left controller ring is broken in middle and doesnt track right side, so i needed to buy either new controller or hmd and since i cant find replacement controllers... Thats why i ahvent beat your beat saber scores lately 🙂

I thought controllers were available to buy separately under Accessories? I'm sure I saw them there a while back. Maybe they've discontinued them?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think it will be hard for some to come to terms with what we have been suggesting now for the past few months. I would like to say that the Rift (CV1) and the Rift-S were great pieces of hardware that advanced the VR community, and we look forward to one day Oculus returning to the PC-VR dedicated business. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959