New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

RIP Rift Thanks for starting this crazy journey

TC1999TC1999 Posts: 189
Art3mis
As you may have heard the Rift as a brand is now discontinued and there will be no other pc deditated VR headset from Oculus. 
I just want to say thanks Rift for all the fun and will never forget seeing that T-rex stepping over me. 

The Rift is dead - Long live the Quest !!!!!

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,022 Valuable Player
    Yep still have the Rift CV1 sitting here all boxed up.
    Have had an incredible amount of hours in with both it and now my Rift S.
    Sorry to see it go.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,908 Valuable Player
    I'm going to have to watch that part of the stream again, I was putting my shopping in the freezer so didn't hear it clearly.

Did they actually say that the Rift S was being discontinued in Spring 2021 or that the entire product line was being discontinued? If they said just the former it could mean we'll see the Rift 2 next year, perhaps?

Seems a bit of a daft decision building a brand as strong as the Oculus Rift and flushing it down the bog in favour of a brand that's less than 2 years old. 🤔😲🤔
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,938 Volunteer Moderator
    I believe they said that there will be no more PCVR-only headsets, but I missed that part of the stream too (read it on UploadVR).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,365 Valuable Player
    I still haven't heard this as official news. Just hearsay from UploadVR. I'm not denying its truth at this point; I'm just waiting for something more official.

If it's true, then hey... Rift had a great run! But Quest is clearly selling exceedingly well while high-end PCVR remains on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of ROI.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 276
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    I still haven't heard this as official news. Just hearsay from UploadVR. I'm not denying its truth at this point; I'm just waiting for something more official.

If it's true, then hey... Rift had a great run! But Quest is clearly selling exceedingly well while high-end PCVR remains on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of ROI.
    You would still need high-end pc to run Quest 2 with link. I just watched VR oasis Quest 2 stream and he said that Quest 2 with link is already on par with Rift S and it has bigger fov. In future it is propably even better.
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:

You would still need high-end pc to run Quest 2 with link. I just watched VR oasis Quest 2 stream and he said that Quest 2 with link is already on par with Rift S and it has bigger fov. In future it is propably even better.

I think Quest 2 is great (so far). But I don't think that I would upgrade my PC for it lol

Maybe for a Reverb G2, or an Index CV2. But not a Quest.
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:

I think Quest 2 is great (so far). But I don't think that I would upgrade my PC for it lol

I was thinking too, if my 2070 super is good enough for Quest 2 with link. I heard it requires more horsepower than dedicated PCVR hmd for some reason.

However my Rift S left controller ring is broken in middle and doesnt track right side, so i needed to buy either new controller or hmd and since i cant find replacement controllers... Thats why i ahvent beat your beat saber scores lately :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,908 Valuable Player
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:

I was thinking too, if my 2070 super is good enough for Quest 2 with link. I heard it requires more horsepower than dedicated PCVR hmd for some reason.

However my Rift S left controller ring is broken in middle and doesnt track right side, so i needed to buy either new controller or hmd and since i cant find replacement controllers... Thats why i ahvent beat your beat saber scores lately :)

I thought controllers were available to buy separately under Accessories? I'm sure I saw them there a while back. Maybe they've discontinued them?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,392 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    Tested (Norm) was not that happy for the Quest 2 and also recommended G2 or Index if you want the best PCVR. But Quest 2 hasn't had 90 Hz enabled for PCVR yet and compression may improve too, so it's too early for any conclusion about Quest 2 image quality in PCVR games. 

Personally I'm sad to see the end of the Rifts. Rift was a synonym for the best VR you could get for many years. Killing that name may say a lot about where Facebook is heading. Slightly surprising that Oculus has survived, while Rift did not. This is sad news to me, guess I do have a lot of emotions left for the Rift. Rift wasn't just a product, it facilitated the most profound experiences in computer gaming I have ever experienced. Unfortunately, the average person on this planet neither does not care or simply has no idea what high-end PCVR can do.

I guess the Rift CV2 also died today, but in reality it probably died in 2018...

One day I'll put the CV1 next to the 3D plasma, maybe it's time to build a wall of the greatest things lost to humankind, and then I can stand next to it much like these dudes ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    kevinw729 said:
    I think it will be hard for some to come to terms with what we have been suggesting now for the past few months. 

Similarly, you were suggesting that the Oculus brand would vanish and get replaced by Facebook, but Quest 2 is still 100% Oculus brand. Coming to terms with that is likely just as difficult as you describe.

People have been saying that Rift is dead since 2016. If it happens this time, after 4 years of saying it, then cool. I guess if we wait long enough... a prediction eventually comes true?
     :) 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,707 Valuable Player
    It is the end of an era.

And while the smart marketing may be trying to pivot "All-in-One" to gloss over the loss of a dedicated PC hardware solution, I think we can see now how much of a gulf existed between Lenovo and Oculus near the end. 
    Nexus 6
    snowdog said:
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:

I thought controllers were available to buy separately under Accessories? I'm sure I saw them there a while back. Maybe they've discontinued them?
    They must just added them back again. LAst time i checked it showed unavailable and couldnt find one on oculus,amazon or ebay either.
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,306
    Neo
    edited September 16
    Well I've got a Reverb G2 due here at launch... and now a Quest 2 as well. As many of us called as far back as Gear VR, Facebook continually moved away from PCVR. They continue to lead in the 'idealism' of VR (at least the theory if not the practice) with the things like varifocal, but until VR can truly be gen 2 with way more than just fov/res increase (i'm talking proper foveated rendering, wireless, varifocal and maybe even breakthroughs in locomotion) then I don't think they are going to be missed that much PC while Index and G2 are doing what they are doing.

I always understood the attraction of 'dumbed down' all in one standalone VR to take anywhere, but quest 1 was too underpowered for my bare minimum VR acceptance, Quest 2 has just hit it out of the park and is going to be a massive hit. As a dev I'm eager to see what I can get out of it even if I keep the 'idealistic' VR visions for PCVR/G2 and future stuff.

Quest 2 is the switch of VR, not as potent as PS5/XBS but tons of fun, cheap and very easy to use/take anywhere. For how much FB are going to be data mining I think that's fine, the DEEP VR will be kept away from their prying eyes on PC and I actually like that idea. Two separate devices for two levels and concepts of "VR".

I also think a Quest 3... 4.... 5... eventually is going to connect amazingly well to a PC, probably wirelessly, and then they will come back to compete on PC but I doubt it'll ever be a main concern of theirs again (why all the oculus staff jumped ship I guess).

I also hope to grab an RTX3080 tomorrow.
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | Future Reverb G2/Quest 2 owner | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
    Going to be hard to justify all that Half Dome propaganda if the hardware is never going to be applied - maybe a good thing Facebook has taken over Oculus Connect?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 16
    snowdog said:
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:
    saami81 said:
    Zenbane said:

Currently unavailable in Canada and US, but the rest of the world has them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,769 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    I hate to say it, but the last bit of good news I heard from Oculus was back in January 2016 when Oculus CV1 was announced. 

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention and again when half doom was talked about.
    RedRizla said:
    I hate to say it, but the last bit of good news I heard from Oculus was back in January 2016 when Oculus CV1 was announced. 

Lone Echo in 2017?  <3

Asgard's Wrath  <3

Stormland  <3

Can't say Oculus didn't try to ignite high-end PCVR, unfortunately the crowd wants cheap low-end stuff. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,429 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

LOL!!!  Laughed hard at that one....also maybe quite accurate as well.  :D

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,769 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

Lone Echo in 2017?  <3

Asgard's Wrath  <3

Stormland  <3

Can't say Oculus didn't try to ignite high-end PCVR, unfortunately the crowd wants cheap low-end stuff. 

I'm talking Hardware Rune :)
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

Lone Echo in 2017?  <3

Asgard's Wrath  <3

Stormland  <3

I'm talking Hardware Rune :)

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    What about Touch? That was rather game changing.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,270 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    Come on guys, where's your optimism. Eventually they will get cheap wireless VR with the same or better quality as  tethered PC VR. I expect that will happen with Quest 3. Quest 2 will build the foundations for it.

System Specs: RTX 3090 , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,184 Volunteer Moderator
    Come on guys, where's your optimism. Eventually they will get cheap wireless VR with the same or better quality as  tethered PC VR. I expect that will happen with Quest 3. Quest 2 will build the foundations for it.
    you're spoiling their fun
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
    kevinw729 said:
    Going to be hard to justify all that Half Dome propaganda if the hardware is never going to be applied - maybe a good thing Facebook has taken over Oculus Connect?

Key word there - propaganda.
    As I have said before Half Dome Tech is tucked away somewhere on a shelf collecting dust.
    Hopefully some other players will pick up the ball and run with it concerning PC-VR.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:

Lone Echo in 2017?  <3

Asgard's Wrath  <3

Stormland  <3

I think it is more the crowd FB wants to go after to get them to buy into VR.
    Don

dburne said:
    kevinw729 said:

Key word there - propaganda.
    As I have said before Half Dome Tech is tucked away somewhere on a shelf collecting dust.
    Hopefully some other players will pick up the ball and run with it concerning PC-VR.

I need to be clear what I mean by "Propaganda" - the use of information as a means to attract, with no real intention to implement.

In reality I respect many of those that worked on Half Dome 1 and 2 - I had the pleasure to meet many of them after they left Oculus when the Rift-S situation reached its crescendo. 

And I do expect one day Half Dome lens and visual distortion concept will be implemented - I just think that chances it will be from Oculus is a moot question. 

There is one possible silver lining and that is sales - if we do see a drive in Quest 2 placement, then as with Quest 1 to Quest 2, I would not be surprised to see a Facebook MR pivot system that would implement some of the Rift magic! Allowing the loyal supporters to keep wishing for a "TickTock Rift 2 for 2022" :)

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 313
    Trinity
    Well, if the Rift is officially end of line, that sucks...as a developer, developing on the Rift or Rift S has been incredibly smooth (which is saying a lot about WMR or Steam development and how much it sucks...especially WMR). As long as the Rift/Rift S still work with Oculus software builds I'll be developing with the Rift S and just make sure things work properly with Steam.

When Quest 2 performance gets 90hz or above, I'll consider developing with it with tethered PC for high end VR (unless wireless PC connectivity becomes a reality). I'll take the wait and see approach for now...but may still consider it for stand alone development later.

While I understand why Oculus is choosing this path (unified)...it seems a bit pre-mature considering how many people are still wanting a better or high end tethered VR HMD (besides Nvidia stirring the market with their new lineup). If Oculus were to release a dedicated high end PCVR hmd, I do think HP + Valve would loose many sales (based on what we know of Oculus's research), but hey...I'm not a seer!!! So far, their decision has paid off with the Quest 1 though...at least for stand alone. Hopefully they can incorporate 'more' of their PCVR research into the Quest lineup sooner, rather than later.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, MSI 1080ti Gaming X, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Oculus Rift (now dead), Rift S, Odyssey +, Windows 10 Pro 2004
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details soon...don't want to spill anything just yet!!
    I would still suggest waiting until we get something official from Facebook or Oculus on the matter. So far the whole "rift is cancelled" news comes from an unknown source within a Road to VR article. As of now, the only thing we know for sure, officially, is that the Oculus brand is alive and well (despite previous strong claims otherwise).

The Road to VR article has spurned a lot of "distraction posts" in light of the news that the Oculus brand is alive and well.
     :)