cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 IPD Setting

enigma01
Trustee
On my Quest I have to set the IPD adjustment to the widest to get achieve the clearest picture. There is 4mm difference between the max IPD width on the Quest 2 and Quest. Will I see a difference?
45 REPLIES 45

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I think the clarity through the lenses will be okay, but there may be some loss of a FOV. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
There is no software IPD, so I am expecting chromatic aberrations and lens distortions of the images.
According to Carmack's FB connect stream, we can also expect reduced FOV.
I hope they will work towards fixing the 2 issues before its shipment in October.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

Foul_Pilgrim
Honored Guest
I've had similar concern. My IPD is 73mm. The Quest 1 barely accommodated me. Learning that the Quest 2 has even shorter distances has me a little anxious. 

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
I keep thinking that 3 fixed IPD settings are like making the most beautiful sculpture in the world, covering it all up in a plastic shroud and poking 3 sets of holes and telling ppl to look at it thru those holes as everyone will find a sweet spot.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

kojack
MVP
MVP
At least it's better than the Rift-S and Go with their fixed 63.5mm ipd.
But still disappointing.

The Arstechnica reviewer said he was able to partially move between two settings to get a non-supported ipd, but the Oculus rep told him the software won't register that so the rendering won't exactly match the lenses.
Of course that doesn't help people outside of the range like this thread.

nalex66 said:

I think the clarity through the lenses will be okay, but there may be some loss of a FOV. 

Yep, people with higher ipd than supported will get less fov. People with lower ipd than supported will get more fov but less stereo overlap.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Vexin
Honored Guest
Same here, my IPD is around 72 and even the max setting on Quest 1 was slightly off. As it stands, I won't be buying a Quest 2.

enigma01
Trustee

Vexin said:

Same here, my IPD is around 72 and even the max setting on Quest 1 was slightly off. As it stands, I won't be buying a Quest 2.
I tried a friends Rift S a few times and couldn’t get a decent clear image, whereas my Quest 1 is okay on widest setting. Does this basically rule out Quest 2 for me too? 

enigma01
Trustee
I played a few games on my Quest 1 today and set the IPD to 68, when I’d normally have it on 70. I was actually able to play for a couple hours quite comfortably, no eye strain or headaches etc. So I’m guessing there must have been some other factors when I tried my friends Rift S preventing me from getting a clear image. My theory is therefore that the Quest 2 could work for me and I’ve gone ahead and ordered one on Amazon UK! They still have them available for delivery on 13th October. If it doesn’t work for me I’ll send it back. 

TheFullEnglish
Honored Guest
I did put in a preorder, but I'm at 75mm (apparently I have some alien DNA in my bloodline)...and I'm not optimistic at all. I may have to return it or sell it depending on how useable or unusable it is.