cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats happened to Lone Echo 2?

Antonyvw
Protege
As the title says what has happened to Lone Echo 2? I havent seen any info since they said it was delayed till this year. But we are now in 3rd quarter and still no new news since telling us delays due to Covid-19. Is it still happening? When are we likely to see it?
27 REPLIES 27

ShocksVR
Superstar

Not sure you can base success on the reviews though for Lone Echo 1 maybe the PC master race are just lazy buggers. I never post reviews.

The Oculus Producer for Asgard's Wrath specifically encouraged users to leave a review if they liked the game.  While he didn't say it directly and some of the context is lost since it happened a year ago, I do remember getting the impression from his replies that future game development may be tied to simple metrics like the number of reviews it has.

John Carmack also stressed the point of voting for ideas on the User Voice site during his OC6 talk.  Again, it seems like focus is given towards ideas that have a metric behind them like how many votes it has.

By comparison, the Quest store and User Voice just blows out of the water anything from the Rift side.  Quest games have way more reviews, the Quest User Voice site has way more votes for proposed ideas.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Not sure you can base success on the reviews though for Lone Echo 1 maybe the PC master race are just lazy buggers. I never post reviews.

Sure, I think we counted that 1 in 40 persons rated Alyx on Steam - so about 25k ratings when SteamSpy said 1 million users owned the game. That ratio may of course differ from game to game - but still might give us some idea of the connection between sales and ratings. If I remember correctly, estimates based on other games was from 1/20 to 1/100 users writing a review, so there may be large variations, but seeing that Lone Echo has gotten like 1/3 of the ratings given to Total Recall I doubt that Lone Echo has been even close to being as successful as Beat Saber. This may be because Lone Echo needs a much bigger rig to shine than even Total Recall and especially Beat Saber. And nausea may limit Lone Echo users too. 

I think Zuck found out that by supporting Lone Echo - and other games requiring high-end rigs - he was really making games for the top 1% (or less) of gamers. Making owners of high-end gpus happy is not the way to get 1 billion people to adopt VR, unfortunately. I'm sure that today Oculus would never have paid for Lone Echo 2 - or it would have been totally dumbed down for mobile VR, and I really hope that's not what's causing the current delay. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere about it being delayed to next year due to COVID-19.

saami81
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:

Sure, I think we counted that 1 in 40 persons rated Alyx on Steam - so about 25k ratings when SteamSpy said 1 million users owned the game. That ratio may of course differ from game to game - but still might give us some idea of the connection between sales and ratings. If I remember correctly, estimates based on other games was from 1/20 to 1/100 users writing a review, so there may be large variations, but seeing that Lone Echo has gotten like 1/3 of the ratings given to Total Recall I doubt that Lone Echo has been even close to being as successful as Beat Saber. This may be because Lone Echo needs a much bigger rig to shine than even Total Recall and especially Beat Saber. And nausea may limit Lone Echo users too. 

I think Zuck found out that by supporting Lone Echo - and other games requiring high-end rigs - he was really making games for the top 1% (or less) of gamers. Making owners of high-end gpus happy is not the way to get 1 billion people to adopt VR, unfortunately. I'm sure that today Oculus would never have paid for Lone Echo 2 - or it would have been totally dumbed down for mobile VR, and I really hope that's not what's causing the current delay. 

What Total Recal has to do with this? Am i missing some good VR game?

Luciferous
Consultant
Yes but the Rift review pages are not exactly obvious and in my face when I am launching games. Maybe the Quest has a better format? Plus maybe age has something to do with it. I am sure the Quest on the whole has a lot more younger participants then PCVR.  The youth have been brought up socially commenting on nearly every aspect of their lives where (as seen on this forum) a lot of older gamers are anti social networking.

Antonyvw
Protege

Yes but the Rift review pages are not exactly obvious and in my face when I am launching games. Maybe the Quest has a better format? Plus maybe age has something to do with it. I am sure the Quest on the whole has a lot more younger participants then PCVR.  The youth have been brought up socially commenting on nearly every aspect of their lives where (as seen on this forum) a lot of older gamers are anti social networking.

I think you may have something there. I have facebook. I maybe look at it a couple of times a week, but I add things very rarely. Thing is as they seem to be pushing the social stuff, its no wonder that quest is getting far bigger ratings than anything on Rift.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I agree that user reviews are not a 1-for-1 indication of the number of actual users. But it can give insight based on a range of known percentages (average number of owners who leave reviews).

Compared to every other review statistic on Oculus Home for PC, like Beat Saber, and all other review stats on Oculus Quest and GO - not to mention Steam review stats - then we start to see a trend with something high-end like Lone Echo.

Otherwise, we would have to assume that all those people leaving reviews for Beat Saber are also buying Lone Echo but not leaving a review for it. Which is highly unlikely. And the userbase is not big enough to justify any idea where millions bought Beat Saber and left reviews, while an entirely different group of millions bought Lone Echo but didn't leave reviews.

I think it's fair to say that the same group is involved in all purchasing, and sharing in the same review stats.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

saami81 said:

RuneSR2 said:

My phone and too fast spelling - that's Robo Recall :blush:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

saami81 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Nothing, but it did make me LMAO. 😄

I heard Predator VR is good too. 😄 😛

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

saami81 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Nothing, but it did make me LMAO. 😄

I heard Predator VR is good too. 😄 😛

Well, it was something with Recall ... B)