cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - USB plug has to be Reseated upon every restart

blanes
Rising Star
I have had my Rift S and before that Rift CV1 since launch - plugged into same PC since then and never had any issue with any of my USB ports.

However since about a month ago I have to unplug my Rift S usb connector and then replug it in every time I reboot my PC.  Otherwise I cannot use the Rift S due to a hardware notification telling me my Rift is not working and I have to plug into a new USB port.  That is wrong because I just reuse the same plug and then it works,  I have tried every other USB port and the problem still manifest each reboot.

It is really annoying as there is nothing wrong with my USB ports, the problem began when I subscribed to the Test channel whilst on the version 16 release, which worked fine. But then even unsubscribing and going back to v16 the problem remained and now with the v17 full release update I expected it would be fixed and it is not.

Has anyone else encountered this ?  Is there any workaround or fix to prevent having to unplug and plug back into USB upon every single reboot ... so crazy really and frustrating as it seems Oculus do not reply anymore on these forums regarding such problems.
20 REPLIES 20

letekmgc
Honored Guest
I tried the riftS from a friend for 1 month
Never had this problem
Enjoyed the experience, bought one

! Same config, same system, same everything ! 

My Brand new Rifts has this "unplug me at statup" problem. And i can be sure my MB gives enough power to usb3 (tried 3.1, same problem) 

kojack
MVP
MVP
I found the pcie cards (with sata power) that I used for my CV1 didn't support the Rift-S at all. Most of the USB ports on my Asrock Taichi motherboard also didn't work reliably. But running through a Orico 10 port powered hub fixed everything (and I'd run out of USB ports anyway).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Tician
Honored Guest
Someone could try this::
Might be about the WIndows-setting that every time you shut down your PC it instead goes into some sort of hybernation (which is the default setting on every Windows 10 PC) in order to start up faster. It doesn't do this when you really restart the PC instead of shutting it down and turning it back on. I can imagine that this might cause issues. Someone could try to change the windows-settings: Power-Settings -> Additional Power settings -> First option on the left -> Untick "fast start" and save.

Paddy4929
Honored Guest
I have the same problem with my Rift S. I have to unplug USB after every reboot before the rift will work. Been like this for about a year. You would have thought Occulus would have fixed this issue by now. It's frustrating.

RichardVR55
Honored Guest
I ahve the same problem and now afterreinstallation the panel says that my pc have to be updated at windows10 . terriblr software and nobody one in assistyance resolve the problem.

Timbo1903
Honored Guest
Had the same issue since I first got my Rift-S and now it just plain won't work at all. It's giving me the 'No DisplayPort connection' warning and appears to be pretty much bricked. 
For the record I'm running

i7 9700K 3.6GHz (boost 4.8GHz)
RTX 2080 8Gb graphics card
32Gb DDR4 RBG OC
500Gb SSD + 2Tb HDD

Oculus Tech Support have been no help so far. A lot of can-kicking with checking drivers are updated I'm getting very close to sending it back for a full refund and deleting all accounts connected with Facebook.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I had the same problem with my Rift S as soon as I bought it as a replacement to my dead Rift CV1. After trying all known solutions, the only thing that worked for me was to install an InaTeck KT4006 USB3.0 card that I already had from prior. I also don't plug anything else into it so that the Rift S has exclusive use to it. No problems since installing. There are equivalent cards from Inateck that will also work. Amazon is a great place to find user reviews.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

zolton_campbell
Honored Guest
 turn on intel virtualization in bois settings if dont know how to go on youtube you will find your fix there it worked for my problems usb and displayport problems

tony_browne_pho
Honored Guest
I found a way round this problem that seems to work for me.  I use a small, portable, unpowered  USB3.0 plug-in expansion board. This has separate on/off buttons on each of the expansion ports. I turn the PC on with the button in the off position for the RIFT. Then I turn on when PC has booted. The Oculus tool  status then changes from disconnected to connected, and all works fine

shawnden
Honored Guest

are your graphic cards AMD those of us having issues?