cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free upgrade for user for Oculus Quest 1 to 2

lancejohnson321
Explorer
I am posting this to make an appeal to facebook to allow users of Oculus 
My request is I bought the oculus one in jan 2020 at a higher price point and now oculus 2 is coming
I humbly request that u allow a free upgrade for people to trade up from oculus 1 to oculus 2
It makes good business sense as u don’t want to loose ur customer base, the oculus one was not well used as much as it should due to gameplay and graphics
Remember u will make the money back in terms of game bought and usage and also u could get rid of the expense of maintaining the oculus one. Also vr needs a breathe into it and people will be more happy to buy into a oculus if they know they can trade up at a small expense
The model for the oculus is not the same as a Apple smartphone yet for example
That is smart phone is considered a necessary device u need to have it
Oculus is considered at the moment as a niche item which is a luxury
Price point is more important For wide adoption and building a strong community
People want more interaction and their friends to get involved but the price point of the quest 1 was high but ur quest 2 price point is good
If u can get people to adopt the tech more widely that would be lead to the platform success
Remember key thing about Facebook at the beginning is ur got a high quality service for free
I am not suggesting u make the quest free just more accessible
Which brings me back to allowing people to upgrade for free.

Please could the Oculus forum team consider this in their next discussion and perhaps escalate to executive management.

2nd - if anyone who owns a Quest 1 agrees with me - please email support and facebook message Mark Zuckerberg on his facebook page.
33 REPLIES 33

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I wouldn't say they are selling the Ouest 2 at a loss because you will need to purchase games and apps to make it worth buying. Apps, games, media and advertising is where Facebook will make their money, so they are selling it to make money, lots of money.

I think most Quest 1 users won't stop using their Quests if they don't get a free upgrade, even the recent buyers, so I'd question how big a benefit to Facebook's plan to increase usage it would be to do such a thing. I'm not planning to stop using mine any time soon I can wait.
I think i can wait.

There's always a balance between early adoption verses waiting for the ecosystem to grow or waiting for a possible price drop. With VR I think it's fast moving and a few price drops, so early adoption is my preference to get the most of each purchase before I early-adopt the next headset, but each person needs to figure out their own balance.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

... Also will my friend by a headset if he knows mine is not compatible with his? Will my friend buy a headset that will be expire in 12 months? He is a common person who has other interests in life. Even now - u should be reluctant to buy a quest 2, knowing Quest 3 is probably coming out next year. Also would i recommend the oculus 2 to a friend knowing something better will come out shortly.

Just to address one of your points; your headset has not expired, and Quest 2 will be compatible with Quest 1. They share the same store and apps, so your friend will be able to play multiplayer games with you even if he has a Quest 2 and you have a Quest 1. In that regard, this is more like a new phone model than a new console generation. 

Also, if you don’t buy because you worry about a new version coming out later, you’ll never buy anything. There will always be something better coming along in the future. You either jump in at some point, or you spend your whole life watching from the sidelines. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

lancejohnson321
Explorer
Great comments guy. I am pretty sure - Oculus will never respond - so hearing ur opinions is important.

Responding:
1. Oculus is already making a loss on Quest 2- I don't think so, but let us assume so. Even if that is the case - why are they selling a loss - widescale adoption. Back to my point. 

2. Oculus will lose more money giving Oculus Quest 1 upgrade - ok, I again refer to my post - isn't it better to loose a relative small account of cash to retain ur customer base? Ok - how much does it cost to train staff - provide support/repairs for an older product - It can be quite expensive. Perhaps it would be cheaper to upgrade people.

3. Phones are necessary, the Quest is a luxury item - people need phones, and have to get it. Their experience is not much different between phones. It will be with the quest.

In any case some of u guys must be oculus quest employees looking for a pay upgrade, since no one seems to support this model of free upgrades, worried that our billion dollar VR company will go bankrupt.

Ok - lets make it easier - why don't we follow the Apple model - where u can trade in ur old phone, PAY a charge, and get a new one? Or in other words - trade in ur old one to get a significant discount on the new one?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Apple is Apple....same as any phone provider, they have upgrade paths...As you said, the Quest is a luxury item, if you want luxury you pay for it. 

I hope you are aware that this is a community forum not a workers forum??? No one is looking for a pay upgrade here, well not from Oculus 😉

I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree, not gonna happen anytime soon IMO
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

falken76
Expert Consultant
LOL, good luck.  It does NOT make good business sense to do something like that, but you can ask.  Don't be surprised if they tell you to go pound sand though, I would.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Great comments guy. I am pretty sure - Oculus will never respond - so hearing ur opinions is important.

In any case some of u guys must be oculus quest employees looking for a pay upgrade, since no one seems to support this model of free upgrades, worried that our billion dollar VR company will go bankrupt.

Ok - lets make it easier - why don't we follow the Apple model - where u can trade in ur old phone, PAY a charge, and get a new one? Or in other words - trade in ur old one to get a significant discount on the new one?

Of course, anyone that isn't with you is against you.  If they don't see the light that you shine, they must be an employee of Oculus.  You are asking the company to give you their new product for free with no compensation above what you paid for the old tech, it doesn't work like that.  A company that appeased it's buyers like that would go out of business due to loss.

If you want to follow the apple model, you have to pay apple prices.  They've been consistently ripping off the public since 1976.  They also dumb their products down to the lowest demonator so their junk can be used by morons that are confused by their own shadows.

Even if they did offer an upgrade, do you not think there should be a limit on it?  You had your Quest for 3 quarters of an entire year.

This is how companies succeed.  They make products that people want to buy, they don't need trickery like exchange programs for discounts or free upgrades, if they make a quality product and have decent support, they'll be fine.

BTW:  Phones are not a necessity, they are actually a luxury as well.  You would be able to exist without a phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oculus wont respond because  ... Well its a daft unrealistic suggestion to be honest.
A free Oculus Quest 2 to 400,000 users who own a quest ... They wont lose their Customer Base as you think in fact they will probably create a whole new one for the Quest 2.

Antonyvw
Protege
Does the OP include getting a free quest 2 if we have the Rift/rift S? After all that is the group of people that are no longer going to be supported unless we link to a facebook account? I really dont think so.