cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Oculus?

TehFoxx259
Sightseer
Not even 2 years old and you've already discontinued the Quest wtf and how long untill you plan to discontinue the Rift S and it's parts? essentually screwing over anyone who owns one and gets a fault in one of the cables

this is why i'd never recommend Oculus to anyone anymore after the cable of my Rift cv1 got that very common cable issue and finding a new cable is next to impossible unless i want to get serverely ripped off, if you discontinue headsets you should still keep making the parts/cables for at least 5 - 10 after so anyone who already owns one can still use theirs instead of paying hundreds of dollars for a paper weight as that is what my Oculus Rift cv1 is atm and it's just barely 2 years old

i'm just glad i live in australia and Oculus has to abide by it's consumer guarentee laws but i feel so bad for everyone in the US who don't get that and are getting scammed/ripped off by Oculus

You do realise people that buy a VR headset expect to at least get more than 5 years out of it not 1 - 2, so this is why i'm telling anyone i know that are wanting to get a VR headset to avoid Oculus at all costs because of this
14 REPLIES 14

Nekto2
Superstar

I figure I have spent at least 5k-6k hrs total in my Rift CV1 since I bought it a few years ago. I'm usually in VR about 40hrs a week (lately, the last 1.5 years of that time has been entirely development).

This is awesome!
Could you write about your eyes health and how do you feel is it ok to be in VR for so long?
Have you made some 10-15min brakes?
Any suggestions and hints for those who try to be in VR full work day?

ps. it may be possible to get a cable from old broken cv1 on ebay? But it could cost more.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
Well, to start. I'm not constantly in VR while developing, I develop on flat screen monitor, then test in VR as I go (though I do have the option to create inside VR, it takes some time to get use to). I'm always doing some sort of testing in VR and use VR to look at what I've created to get more inspiration and ideas. Most of the time seeing what I've created in VR gives me a better way of looking at what I've done in ways that can't seen the same way on the monitor.

I have no problem with my eye's afterwards or at anytime while in VR. Most of my time in VR is on weekends and also during the week later in the day and into the evening. I don't do VR for a living, it's my creative outlet that has turned into a major project (which I will release down the road when ready). Presently my project spans approx 100 square km so it does take some time to create the areas due to the size.

Thanks for the cable suggestion, I've looked, but for now most that are selling are just gouging. I'll wait till the Rift isn't as popular anymore and try to get a used one then.

Cheers!!

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

Expressing my own views on this products expected life span - I think the some 500-days of the Rift-S life will be way under most peoples expectations. My view would be that having now fully reverted to the smartphone lifespan that Oculus had always attainted too for their hardware they my find it difficult to sell the VR community on this path. However great content will keep users loyal, and we really did not see Quest 1 or Rift-S supply that. 

Stormland, Asgard's Wrath, Medal of Honor and (next year) Lone Echo 2 all say Hi.

Three AAA titles released in one year isn't too shabby. And it would have been four if it wasn't for COVID-19.

And it's not as if the Quest is short of great quality content either.

Compare that to Valve. They've released one AAA game in four years. Oculus are going to be releasing three in one year and have released an absolute shitload since 2016.

The only company that comes CLOSE to showing AAA quality game support is Sony, and they must have brought around half, if not less, the amount of AAA content to PSVR since it launched.

You can criticise Oculus and Facebook for A LOT of things but NOT for not bringing top quality content to their headsets over the years.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Most of my VR gaming time is in flight sims and now also racing sims. The vast majority.
Of the others, Alyx was by far my favorite. I played that one all the way through and looking forward to another play through when I get the Reverb G2.  Hoping to see more from Valve going forward.

Kind of go back and forth with Asgard's Wrath, I like it ok but tend to take a lot of breaks with that one. Have yet to play it all the way through. I think I am on the third character now. I liked Alyx better, it really captivated me.
Medal of Honor I am very much looking forward to - glad to see it will have Steam VR support also so I can use the Reverb G2 with it. Unless of course I end up being disappointed in the G2 in which case guess I will be using the Rift S.

JamesssssSmith
Honored Guest
It is very cool!)