cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free upgrade for user for Oculus Quest 1 to 2

lancejohnson321
Explorer
I am posting this to make an appeal to facebook to allow users of Oculus 
My request is I bought the oculus one in jan 2020 at a higher price point and now oculus 2 is coming
I humbly request that u allow a free upgrade for people to trade up from oculus 1 to oculus 2
It makes good business sense as u don’t want to loose ur customer base, the oculus one was not well used as much as it should due to gameplay and graphics
Remember u will make the money back in terms of game bought and usage and also u could get rid of the expense of maintaining the oculus one. Also vr needs a breathe into it and people will be more happy to buy into a oculus if they know they can trade up at a small expense
The model for the oculus is not the same as a Apple smartphone yet for example
That is smart phone is considered a necessary device u need to have it
Oculus is considered at the moment as a niche item which is a luxury
Price point is more important For wide adoption and building a strong community
People want more interaction and their friends to get involved but the price point of the quest 1 was high but ur quest 2 price point is good
If u can get people to adopt the tech more widely that would be lead to the platform success
Remember key thing about Facebook at the beginning is ur got a high quality service for free
I am not suggesting u make the quest free just more accessible
Which brings me back to allowing people to upgrade for free.

Please could the Oculus forum team consider this in their next discussion and perhaps escalate to executive management.

2nd - if anyone who owns a Quest 1 agrees with me - please email support and facebook message Mark Zuckerberg on his facebook page.
33 REPLIES 33

lancejohnson321
Explorer
I really appreciate the feedback. I was only kidding about the Oculus employee comment. 

Some people suggest  its not a smart suggestion ok 

I think most people are struggling with a different mindset - that u have to pay a high price point of entry into the market to make money vs my suggestion - keep it cheap and expand the market rapidly and collect later.

Also most of  
Some dumb suggestions where people did not make money at initial entry point:

1. Make facebook free.

2. Open source software

3. Android software

4. Youtubers/Instagrammers - there are loads who make tons of cash from providing free content initially.

5. Microsoft-  hear me out on this - listen to Bill Gates talk he has with Warren Buffett a while ago - he knows that people in China in late 1990s/early 2000s were pirating his software - he knew that if he waited, eventually he would collect - why -because he knew when he gets widescale adoption and legislation/financial situation of china improves he will make a ton of money (people would be stuck to Microsoft for their software needs on upgrades)- which he did. Growth is the key, not initial paypoint.

6. Amazon was running at a loss every year until just a few years ago (remember the half price harry potter books)- they were growing. Now one of the most valuable companies in the world.

How about I change the question and put it to you.

What is the best way Oculus could rapidly expand and get the most growth?

Note - most VR companies are going bankrupt.

lancejohnson321
Explorer
I can't post links but I could not resist:

Peter Parker: Can you pay me advance for my Oculus?

J Jonah Jameson: Laughs incredibly loudly

J Jonah Jameson: What you serious?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Me: you have asked the question and probably knew the answer before you posted.

You: OK thanks.

I'll quite happily close this thread for you ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wait though. If Facebook doesn't want to "loose" their customer base, what about all the Rift owners? Already abandoned, don't they deserve a free Quest 2? (Asking for a friend)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remmer_G said:

Wait though. If Facebook doesn't want to "loose" their customer base, what about all the Rift owners? Already abandoned, don't they deserve a free Quest 2? (Asking for a friend)

The picture FB is looking at for Oculus is likely much larger than what they see in PC-VR.
I suspect they don't mind giving up a percentage of the PC-VR market they currently have , as they feel they have much more to gain in the social arena for Quest. The amount of folks now on FB is absolutely huge and they view them as potential customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:
BTW:  Phones are not a necessity, they are actually a luxury as well.  You would be able to exist without a phone.

Well - yes - at least for the "smart" part of the phone. A lot of jobs still require you to have a way of communication though - so a phone is still necessity in todays world. I dont think I could do my job without a phone for my customers to reach me:) While it be possible yes, it just be way too inconvenient to the point the customer would not want to work with you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A trade in program would have more value than a free upgrade program xD Give them your old they cut off some percent for a new one.

At best case they fix up the older Quest 1 and sell them off as replacements or refitting them and selling them on a public site like ebay then claim they are reducing e-waste.

Trade-ins with phones make sense because the Apple and Google app market are among the biggest revenue earners on the planet, tens of billions of dollars, not to mention profits made on phone contracts.

When VR hits these levels, I'll be shouting louder then anyone for discounted trade-ins.

xeno3d
Adventurer
This is silly.....  You as a consumer need to do your research and realize that technology advances pretty fast.  It isn't any different than a mobile phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

BTW:  Phones are not a necessity, they are actually a luxury as well.  You would be able to exist without a phone.

I dunno ... Im not sure kids these days could make fire or find food to survive in the wild without looking up a phone app in a life or death situation. 
🙂

lancejohnson321
Explorer
Hi -  I appreciate all the useful comments, and to see how other people think.

I think we can all agree to disagree.

If I  somehow do convince Oculus to somehow implement my 'daft' idea of the free/small charge upgrades with a trade-in - I'll let u know. 

Thanks again all. 
Preview