cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
\Because I prefer to jog alone like other people I have spoken to do. That's why you see a lot of lone joggers out and about because like me they are self motivated and more focused doing it on their own. There are groups for jogging for the none motivated if you want to join that, but you are not forced to join them. That's why I said it's like being forced to join that jogging group before you can use the gym equipment. That just wouldn't happen, it's as simple as that, really.

Hmm, well, if you sign up for Facebook, you don't have to socialize with anyone. You can be a "lone jogger" on Facebook.

I mean, when you go "jogging alone" you're not entirely alone, right? There are other people in your city, state, province, etc. There are cars on the road, planes in the sky.

Take your statement here for example,
"That's why you see a lot of lone joggers out "

How can you "see" them if they are lone?
 😉 

DTH
Heroic Explorer
Make sure you read the fine print.  In big bold letters, The paper said  "sign hear and see the world"  I won't tell you what the fine print said. This was in the 1960's    😄

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

OmegaM4N said:

RuneSR2 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

I’m pretty sure I read that Oculus said not to link your accounts until after 11 October.  I intend to wait until I get my Quest 2 before trying to link my accounts.

I'm in no hurry, if there'll be a storm, I hope it'll be over when I wake up after experiencing the amazing New Year's Eve 2022  B)

Facebook are already having tantrums over EU privacy and data transfer laws and are shouting at the sky that they may just pull their entire social media business out of the EU completly, which of coure they won't because imagine them actually giving up all those corporate tax loopholes lol............so for all of us in the EU the whole FB mandatory thing might end up being optional with a FB account required if you want to use the social features of the HMDs, assuming FB wants to continue to do business in the EU, and all thanks to the Irish regulator, so we shall see how it all pans out.

Now that would be a dream come true and is the way it should have been done. Creating a Social Media Account to play some VR games that have no social features is just plain daft when you think about it. Doesn't Facebook understand that people don't like being forced to do something they don't like? Why deny people something they enjoy like VR by forcing them to create a Social Media account?

This is like me joining a gym and being told I have to jog 5 days a week with a group of people or I can't use the equipment back at the gym. 

Well the funny thing is the whole mandatory FB account thing for the Q2 is just minutia compared to this, as this is now basically American privacy laws butting heads with EU privacy laws, so it will be interesting to see the outcome, but my guess will be FB will backdown on a lot of the stuff because at the end of the day they are not going to walk away from over 400 million EU FB users as that is still a chuck of change in ad revenue alone, even if they can't store, keep, impose or access specific user information.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:
Well the funny thing is the whole mandatory FB account thing for the Q2 is just minutia compared to this, as this is now basically American privacy laws butting heads with EU privacy laws, so it will be interesting to see the outcome, but my guess will be FB will backdown on a lot of the stuff because at the end of the day they are not going to walk away from over 400 million EU FB users as that is still a chuck of change in ad revenue alone, even if they can't store, keep, impose or access specific user information. 

Facebook is the one threatening to leave, and Facebook doesn't have a history of making false threats. It's also false to assume that FB would instantly lose the 400 million EU Users, because a good percentage of those users will just use a Proxy Server. Similar to what people do today with Netflix.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
\Because I prefer to jog alone like other people I have spoken to do. That's why you see a lot of lone joggers out and about because like me they are self motivated and more focused doing it on their own. There are groups for jogging for the none motivated if you want to join that, but you are not forced to join them. That's why I said it's like being forced to join that jogging group before you can use the gym equipment. That just wouldn't happen, it's as simple as that, really.

Hmm, well, if you sign up for Facebook, you don't have to socialize with anyone. You can be a "lone jogger" on Facebook.

I mean, when you go "jogging alone" you're not entirely alone, right? There are other people in your city, state, province, etc. There are cars on the road, planes in the sky.

😉 

1) If I can be a lone jogger on Facebook, then why do I have to create a social media account.

2) Yes, I'm entirely on my own, just like I'm living on my own in a block of flats until my girlfriend comes to visit. There's people living here, but they're not living with me.

A bit pointless me going into all this really because it is what it is and nothing will change it. I don't mind though because I'm not into Mobile VR, so I really shouldn't comment on it. That's the last I'll say on the matter because it isn't really affecting me yet. 

I just hope it helps to make VR popular in the end because that can only benefit us all.

Edited - Meant to say live in "a" block of flats because I don't own them. I wish I did because I'd be rich 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

😉 

1) If I can be a lone jogger on Facebook, then why do I have to create a social media account.

2) Yes, I'm entirely on my own, just like I'm living on my own in my block of flats until my girlfriend comes to visit. There's people living here, but they're not living with me.

A bit pointless me going into all this really because it is what it is and nothing will change it. I don't mind though because I'm not into Mobile VR, so I really shouldn't comment on it. That's the last I'll say on the matter because it isn't really affecting me yet. 

I just hope it helps to make VR popular in the end because that can only benefit us all.

I am with you there all the way.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

1) You answered it yourself. "On Facebook." How can you be "on Facebook" without being "on Facebook" ?? lol

Once you are "on Facebook" you can be a lone jogger "on Facebook." It's self-explanatory.

Just as with your own example, you can join a gym and workout alone.

2) Yes, I'm entirely on my own, just like I'm living on my own in my block of flats until my girlfriend comes to visit. There's people living here, but they're not living with me.

Nope, you are not entirely on your own, nor are you entirely alone. You didn't build the block, you didn't build the flats. Everything around you was built by someone else, controlled by someone else, and regulated by someone else. Unless you hunt for your own food, then you also depend on someone else for sustenance as well. Your clothes were probably made and supplied by someone else.

Also, sorry, but your neighbors do live with you. That's what makes them neighbors.

But you did change the subject. I was talking about the fact that going out and jogging will entail being around other people. Nobody truly jogs alone, if you are outside. Not sure why you switched it to living in a flat.

That aside, there's one important thing you are not addressing:

If you don't want to use a Facebook Account, then don't buy a Facebook product.

So going back to your analogy, if you want to jog alone, then why would you pay to join a gym?

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
lo1hq4qhbcnw.gif
Its time to see this TOS agreement!

WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

If you don't want to use a Facebook Account, then don't buy a Facebook product.

I have problems with this... We still have a voice and I say let us have a voice if want to do it or not as well. Just because we like the products doesnt mean we have to like the ToS. We still have to pay for the product and we still have to pay for the games. The argument doesn't stand just because of that alone. If it was all free- sure - we can't really complain or say other wise - but we're still paying for a device to have in hand and to use like we want to use it. Its just that simple. 

Make it free or give me voice!

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^FB, Google and the likes can have as many TOS as they can come up with but none can circumvent the laws of other countries, so American privacy laws are not applicable outside America, but as i said FB and Google will both whine and moan but in the end they will knuckle down to the laws of the countries they want to continue to make money in as neither are going to walk away from such a large revenue stream....i mean the EU is on fire at the moment, lootboxes kicked into the grass and next up privacy laws, then after that tax loopholes. Lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.