cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 20.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Recording in-VR

• We’ve improved in-VR recording by adding an image stabilization feature. This enhancement will reduce unwanted motion that can happen when looking around in-VR while streaming.

Tracking

• We’ve enhanced rendering stability for Rift S to improve head tracking.

Oculus Link

• Users are now able to hide the ‘Activate Oculus Link’ modal. You can always enable Oculus Link from the Settings > Quick Actions menu.
40 REPLIES 40

Globespy
Expert Protege
I've stayed on the v11 or v12 since last year (blocked updates through firewall rules), and just got a RTX 3080.
I get the message in virtual desktop that says my PC doesn't support VR, which is obviously something to do with the older software I have.
But VR works normally other than the message I see in virtual desktop.

I am very hesitant to update since my software version is so many revisions out of date, and can't afford a bricked Rift S.
Seems that for most this v20 actually works, is that the general consensus and safe to update?
Or just stick with the annoying message on the old version?

PS - are there any benefits to newer versions as it relates to RTX cards? Any useful processing that happens with RTX cards that could be a better VR experience?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can only say I have not had any trouble with any of the updates for my Rift S.

Richooal
Consultant

Globespy said:

I've stayed on the v11 or v12 since last year (blocked updates through firewall rules), and just got a RTX 3080.

--------------------------------------------------
I am very hesitant to update since my software version is so many revisions out of date, and can't afford a bricked Rift S.
Seems that for most this v20 actually works, is that the general consensus and safe to update?

Just a couple of points on V20...

In all the time I've read these forums and update threads, I've never seen so few comments for a release so old. It's also the longest we've been without a "PTC" release.
I think the lack of comments may have been because of all the discussion around upcoming T's & C's and facebook log in. I don't think that the lack of comments means everybody is happy (but that may be true).

Given the long time since this update was released in PTC ,and then general release, I think it's safe to say that we can soon (after new t & c, and new facebook log in) expect a MAJOR software update.

While this current V20 release may be seen as safe and inoffensive for your Rift S, If I was you, I'd be waiting to see what the next release does to everyone before unblocking the updates.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Globespy said:

I get the message in virtual desktop that says my PC doesn't support VR, which is obviously something to do with the older software I have.
But VR works normally other than the message I see in virtual desktop.

PS - are there any benefits to newer versions as it relates to RTX cards? Any useful processing that happens with RTX cards that could be a better VR experience?

Mate, take your tinfoil hat off and update your Oculus software.  I think you should also update win10 to 2004 and your Nvidia drivers (latest ones are meant for the new rtx3000 series).  Hiding under a rock is not going to help you in the long run imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Globespy
Expert Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

Mate, take your tinfoil hat off and update your Oculus software.  I think you should also update win10 to 2004 and your Nvidia drivers (latest ones are meant for the new rtx3000 series).  Hiding under a rock is not going to help you in the long run imho.

Mate, no tinfoil here except from what is used to wrap spuds on the BBQ.
You make good points about keeping software current, and some odd [incorrect] assumptions about my overall software installation patterns. 
I'm interested to hear your take on what essential features that have made significant usability improvements for Rift S (not CV1) users you think I may have missed out on by staying on the circa December 2019 firmware version?

Cheers.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Globespy said:

TomCgcmfc said:

You make good points about keeping software current, and some odd [incorrect] assumptions about my overall software installation patterns. 
I'm interested to hear your take on what essential features that have made significant usability improvements for Rift S (not CV1) users you think I may have missed out on by staying on the circa December 2019 firmware version?

Cheers.

For my cv1 and pretty sure same for S; X Plane 11 now shuts down properly and games/sims that have Vulkan rendering options now work without crashing,  Link has also improved.  All this without any decline in VR performance.  Of course you also have the ability to get support.

i guess if nothing new floats your boat then just stay retro, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

Globespy said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Cheers.

For my cv1 and pretty sure same for S; X Plane 11 now shits down properly and games/sims that have Vulkan rendering options now work without crashing,  Link has also improved.  All this without any decline in VR performance.  Of course you also have the ability to get support.

i guess if nothing new floats your boat then jest stay retro, lol!

Now that I would like to see!
 😉 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Man, I gotta stop posting using my smartphone with my fat little fingers, lol!

Cavanna00
Protege

Recording in-VR

• We’ve improved in-VR recording by adding an image stabilization feature. This enhancement will reduce unwanted motion that can happen when looking around in-VR while streaming.

Has anyone already made some experiences with the improved streaming?

Redlightning777
Protege
So not know if it is related.. however between the past couple of updates I am starting to have missing thumbnails in my library.