New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

BREAKING - Quest 2 Video Revealled!

18910111214»

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 4,179 Valuable Player
    edited October 2020
    Anyway, I guess I'm saying it's good the the strap is an option, not a bundled cost as I'll probably not get one until I decided I wanted it.
    While I understand the option if it was in reason.. this does open them up to situations where it can be self created or a reason for them NOT to improve the base model. For example, Quest 3 could only  have an hour and half of battery life. This could be do to either them not wanting to improve the battery storage or just them using more power because it require it. While they could improve the battery storage - they instead see a bit more value you in getting the next battery Elite strap instead.

At least it opens the door up to situations like this... and we wont know if its because they choose not to or because they want to push the cost to the customer for more profit. As customers it look like we're winning only spending 300 for te base model - but we're actually loosing because we will have a need to upgrade for something that we shouldn't really be paying extra for.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,496 Volunteer Moderator
    As I've said before, I think Oculus/Facebook will, for the foreseeable future, produce the best headset that they can at the £400 price point as that seems to be the sweet spot for them. The Q2 256 seems to be exactly that. Different people have different needs and the accessories seem to cover those options. Seems to me they did ok with this headset.

I'm betting we'll be having the same conversation about whatever they manage to do for a £400 Q3 in 2 years time.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
    edited October 2020
    As I've said before, I think Oculus/Facebook will, for the foreseeable future, produce the best headset that they can at the £400 price point as that seems to be the sweet spot for them. The Q2 256 seems to be exactly that. Different people have different needs and the accessories seem to cover those options. Seems to me they did ok with this headset.

I'm betting we'll be having the same conversation about whatever they manage to do for a £400 Q3 in 2 years time.
    2022 or 2023? Quest single units will have to play the race game just a bit. We're going to see shorter live spans going forward. 1 or 1.5 year jumps - more depending on the SoC release than anything. We might - but it be more of a "told you so" I feel like xD Like now. I could 100% say, Told you so everyone here:D 

Also you kind of disproven your self... if it was the best headset they could make for under $400 - why didn't they include over the ear headphones or a optional two strap design or even a longer cable for Oculus Link? "Best VR headset they can make" is a bit open to more than one interpretation is it not? 

-------------------
    I love how everyone agree with Zen and Snowdog that they would'nt go away from a PC-Only-Headset - that the Link wasn't good enough etc and they drop that hard:) While I am over here saying they be moving to a Quest like design going forward XD Now they did - everyone just accepting it now and looking for the good points to make their ground/stand again:))
  • NimarusNimarus Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    All the improvements are worthless to me if they demand I create a Facebook account. It could be even better than the Valve Index AND be half the price and I'd still refuse to buy it.
    Mradr said:

2022 or 2023? Quest single units will have to play the race game just a bit. We're going to see shorter live spans going forward. 1 or 1.5 year jumps - more depending on the SoC release than anything. We might - but it be more of a "told you so" I feel like xD Like now. I could 100% say, Told you so everyone here:D 

Also you kind of disproven your self... if it was the best headset they could make for under $400 - why didn't they include over the ear headphones or a optional two strap design or even a longer cable for Oculus Link? "Best VR headset they can make" is a bit open to more than one interpretation is it not? 

I love how everyone agree with Zen that they would'nt go away from a PC-Only-Headset - and they drop that hard:) While I am over here saying they be moving to a Quest like design going forward XD Now they did - everyone just accepting it:))
    How do you mean disproven? We can discuss for ever what individual items could have been included or altered but that doesn't change anything.

The bottom line is all decisions have been made based on feedback and judgement of how people have use the original Quest, including what type of headphones were most often used and whether the supplied cable was used for charging of plugged in during use.

There are going to be people who use their headset differently and want different individual design decisions made but the design process (irrespective of the complexity of the actual design) is fairly simple , they use feedback and data to change what they think needs to be changed and balance everything within a target price.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
    edited October 2020
    Mradr said:

I love how everyone agree with Zen that they would'nt go away from a PC-Only-Headset - and they drop that hard:) While I am over here saying they be moving to a Quest like design going forward XD Now they did - everyone just accepting it:))
    How do you mean disproven? We can discuss for ever what individual items could have been included or altered but that doesn't change anything.

The bottom line is all decisions have been made based on feedback and judgement of how people have use the original Quest, including what type of headphones were most often used and whether the supplied cable was used for charging of plugged in during use.
    BS everyone will tell you that the over the ear head phones were better ~ "I love my CV1 for this reason" - "Rift S sounds better" etc etc dont even go there :P Feedback wasn't taken at all - it was all base around price and what they could cut to lower the price base around what people at base level needed to use the headset. Everyone here jump my ass about the head strap alone used on the Rift S when I brought up the price issue with it. If feedback was taken - they would've not went with the basic strap - they would've went with something in between like we saw with the Elite Strap.

SAD truth - I was the one that brought up they could use the basic strap to lower the price as it was good enough for basic use as the base model like Q2GO. But I was using that as a really basic getting started with VR - not as their flag ship model.

"Best VR headset they can make" is a bit open to more than one interpretation is it not? <--- 100% you are defending Facebooks choices around what you think is "best headset" with being a bit bias siding with Facebooks decisions. 
    edited October 2020
    Mradr said:
    Mradr said:

BS everyone will tell you that the over the ear head phones were better ~ 
    How many people used them on the Quest?
    I have them but never used them.

Edit: plus you're ignoring some of what I said... it's not about including everything that everybody thinks is the best... it's about balancing what can and should be included based on data and cost... don't forget the cost.
    edited October 2020
    Mradr said:
    Mradr said:

BS everyone will tell you that the over the ear head phones were better ~ 
    How many people used them on the Quest?
    I have them but never used them.

Edit: plus you're ignoring some of what I said... it's not about including everything that everybody thinks is the best... it's about balancing what can and should be included based on data and cost... don't forget the cost.
    I didn't forget about the cost/price its been kind of my whole problem with FB recently that everyone thinks I am a bit crazy for/about:)

Look - if the device came with it - people would've used it more or at least had a taste to say they want them. This goes back to the whole you wouldn't know what you are missing until you had it problem.  "Also, not really. At the end of the day - you would've not known the difference." as I said to Nalex. Anyone that did how ever did like them. I did. I was sad to see them go when I got my Quest. Again - they didn't take feedback from everyone - what feedback they did take was that it was good enough for Quest on the go move because it was consider "ok" for the use case it was presented for - this model is going to be their flag ship for the most part going forward. It kind of needs to be that. Witch is why I keep hearing stuff about some type of pro model ~ dont know what that is.

Also I am hope I am not ignoring what you said? It takes me a little time to write everything out. 
    Mradr said:
    I didn't:) 
    Well, Ok, maybe it's easier if you just list what you'd improve with the Quest 2 and what you'd take out to balance the cost of those improvements.

Facebook can then add that data to what they have  ;)
    edited October 2020
    Mradr said:
    I didn't:) 
    Well, Ok, maybe it's easier if you just list what you'd improve with the Quest 2 and what you'd take out to balance the cost of those improvements.

Facebook can then add that data to what they have  ;)
    I would XD but it seems like I am the mad person no one listen to LOL

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,058 Valuable Player
    edited October 2020
    Interesting points here about the price of Quest 2. I guess only time will tell how many people have to end up spending more to get full enjoyment out of it. At the price it is now though, I can see some people purchasing it just to watch movies in bed. We will just have to wait and see how many people find it comfortable for VR games using just the strap. 

The only thing that surprises me is why people are ordering these addons when they haven't even tried the headset for themselves yet? It's like some people already believe it's going to be uncomfortable for full VR usage.
    edited October 2020
    RedRizla said:
    The only thing that surprises me though is why are people ordering these addons when they haven't even tried the headset for themselves yet? It's like some people already believe it's going to be uncomfortable without addons for full VR usage.

Oh! Because I already got to try it xD the traps hurt my ears after a while. I wear glasses though so maybe is my major problem xD Plus people that already had the GO knows about what the strap feels like for them. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,058 Valuable Player
    edited October 2020
    Mradr said:
    RedRizla said:
    The only thing that surprises me though is why are people ordering these addons when they haven't even tried the headset for themselves yet? It's like some people already believe it's going to be uncomfortable without addons for full VR usage.

Oh! Because I already got to try it xD the traps hurt my ears after a while. I wear glasses though so maybe is my major problem xD

Yeah, I imagine it to be uncomfortable for VR game usage out of the box. However, I have seen some people that think the first Quest was comfortable.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,363 Volunteer Moderator
    Mradr said:
    nalex66 said:
    Mradr said:
    ... its a bit of a fuck you to the customer when you have to keep buying extras on the side to get everything they could put together in the first place.
     I think you are fundamentally wrong here. They've made the base functional unit very affordable, and given the consumer the choice for all the extras. Some people may like the elastic strap for watching movies while lying down. Some people may not mind the cheap foam facial interface. Some people may have their own battery pack and headphones that they want to use.

It would have been a bit of a fuck you to the customer to bundle all the extras into a higher priced headset and make everyone pay for those things, whether they want them or not.
    Didn't you say something about HTC doing the same thing just a year ago:)? I mean that is how I take "likes" as to say to agree with the comment. 

Also, not really. At the end of the day - you would've not known the difference. For example, if they had a better strap - you would've just thought that is the way it was. Same for the extra battery storage. I can prove this point because no one said anything about removing extras from their CV1, Quest 1, or Rift S to go back to a basic strap. Would've saved money esp for the Rift S by a long shot. Yet, everyone that got it was happy for the strap. You can go look up old post about people telling me that Rift S had a batter strap for PC use over the Quest:)

While I agree those are good use cases - I could argue that they get dirty fast with no good way of cleaning them. So was the "cheap"ness worth if you are a person that likes to keep it clean as possible? I seen reports of the strap causing rubbing and ear pain after a long use because it doesnt give good enough support like the older straps. Its a value you have to weigh and a bag of trade offs you are going to pay for. 
    I don’t recall saying anything like that about HTC, but feel free to correct me if you can find such a quote.

Anyway, in the case of Quest 2, it’s their one and only model (once Rift S is retired), so it needs to be all things for all customers that they want to attract. It’s their entry level unit as well as their flagship, so it needs a low base price to make it accessible to the budget-sensitive. For those willing to spend more for a premium product, there’s the larger storage option, better comfort options like the Elite strap and the VR Cover facial interface, and functional improvements with the battery strap, headphone options, and the Link cable. You can spend an extra $300 to get a top end “pro” version with all the options, or pick and choose the features you want. You‘ll also have your choice of third party add-ons. I think this is a very reasonable way to cover all the bases with a single product line. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,911 Valuable Player
    Mradr said:
    inovator said:
    inovator said:
    In reality if it costs you 600 dollars your getting a phenomenal deal. 1. A standalone 2. A pc headset, 3. A pc wireless that will get even better. Many  casual users will not need the mods. Besides hardware costs the research costs are huge. I believe it's being sold at a loss. If I'm understanding correctly you mentioned a possible pro in addition. Way back I said oculus will stick with only one unit if the quest is a huge success. I don't believe that will change.
    Yeah, R&D is a big deal. If anyone is just adding up the cost of components, they're going to be off by a big factor. Not to mention distribution and logistics, returns and warranty, support, driver and SDK development... advertising...
    Yup I left out alot of other costs.
    All that cost is cover by many factors - plus they are still making money off
    1) Sell your data
    2) Selling you
    3) Selling you software
    4) Devs selling software on their store
    5) Selling the headset
    6) Selling add ons
    7) Not really "repairing" your device - but a force rebuy
    Just to name a few extra source of income you are over looking.

R/W is a risk factor - real cost - but a risk factor. Driver and SDK would be paid off by the store use. D/L would be pay off as a block sum - or force the user to take on this cost - either way at a bigger discount than normal shipping would would be pay off from the 250 price tag or over time by other services/plans. R/W and D/L are a one time cost as well usually. Business take lost here - nothing new if there is a problem with their product. Its a way to keep making sure that quality is high on ship products. This should only account for less than 5% of total sales. Anymore they need to look at their quality. They are still profiting the 50$ - but could still be use for other reasons of course to cover the off chance. Still - profit. As for the R/D sure - there is cost - that's the hidden cost - but its a cost they are dropping out by switching to the Quest like device. Its cheaper to work on one product idea than it would've been two or more witch is one of the reasons for dropping PC-Only-Headsets. R/D is done at small scale - as well before it goes into a full product. A lot of the R/D we seen didn't hit this unit either as the SoC was done by other company and the same with fast switch LCD. Really, the only cost was design here. There is a big difference here between the Quest 1 and Quest 2 and all around Quest 2 is cheaper by design good or bad.

In reality if it costs you 600 dollars your getting a phenomenal deal. 1. A standalone 2. A pc headset, 3. A pc wireless that will get even better. - inovater

Yes and no. I predicated this, but I figure they would've still broken it down a little with base and pro. In this case, they are doing it in a single unit - and just like before we saw with HTC Vive - its a bit of a fuck you to the customer when you have to keep buying extras on the side to get everything they could put together in the first place. Like R/D wise its not that hard to think and model a extra battery to the back of the headset. Something I even told Snowdog they could've done:P so where is my R/D research money?
    I guess we will agree to disagree. You being so bitter is influencing what your saying. 
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,911 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Mradr said:
    ... its a bit of a fuck you to the customer when you have to keep buying extras on the side to get everything they could put together in the first place.
     I think you are fundamentally wrong here. They've made the base functional unit very affordable, and given the consumer the choice for all the extras. Some people may like the elastic strap for watching movies while lying down. Some people may not mind the cheap foam facial interface. Some people may have their own battery pack and headphones that they want to use.

It would have been a bit of a fuck you to the customer to bundle all the extras into a higher priced headset and make everyone pay for those things, whether they want them or not.
    For my quest one I had my own brick battery that I used (I owned it before the quest). I used a 20 dollar strap solution for comfort. The original phone was fine for me. Your points exactly.
  • JohnnyDioxinJohnnyDioxin Posts: 2,722 Valuable Player
    I was really disappointed today. I found some bluetooth earphones and would really like to use them with Quest 2 - or for Quest 1 as well - but I was reading about all the issues doing that, even though technically it is possible.

I'm still going to get them to use with the Quest/2 and wireless PCVR. Then I can just select sound output from the PC - it will be a case of what the latency is like. If no good, I'll just return them to Amazon!

Though I think set 1 would be better - set 2 are more for music player & phone control, which would be of no use.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
    Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 2,068 Valuable Player
    I was really disappointed today. I found some bluetooth earphones and would really like to use them with Quest 2 - or for Quest 1 as well - but I was reading about all the issues doing that, even though technically it is possible.

I'm still going to get them to use with the Quest/2 and wireless PCVR. Then I can just select sound output from the PC - it will be a case of what the latency is like. If no good, I'll just return them to Amazon!

Though I think set 1 would be better - set 2 are more for music player & phone control, which would be of no use.

I'll never buy anything from Amazon again.
    If you can stick those things in your ears and Amazon will take them back, just because you don't like them, then I don't like Amazon.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,723 Valuable Player
    edited October 2020
    Well not Amazon unless its direct from them but it is normally down to the supplier.

I have a friend who designed/created and sells camping / fishing portable toilets. People return them often with bits of crap in them after they had a camping weekend. Now he just bins them but less scrupulous people?

Being able to return things easy is the price he has to accept for using Amazon. He says the number of sales generated from Amazon he gets completely wipes out any returns losses.
    I was fortunate when I had a store on Amazon marketplace as I didn't get a single return. I don't know what Amazon's policy is on such things, but I somehow can't imagine they won't at least be checked and if such an item weren't brand new in any case I wouldn't accept them, and I guess most wouldn't. So it's simple - if they are soiled you send them back.
    What marketplace traders do is a different matter - but you can choose who you buy from.

Don't you clean stuff like that with IPA before use anyway? I certainly do.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,723 Valuable Player
    edited October 2020
    Not that simple with Amazon, you start getting a bad reputation, reviews. When it comes to Amazon they are totally on the customers side. 

You may want to look at this video although we are getting a little off track. Amazon don't even look at a lot of returns and just sell it off as bulk returns. That includes earphones.

edited October 2020
    Well I stand by my point - give it a clean and use it or return it - don't see a problem.
    ps - I once bought a FFB wheel from ebay and it actually stank of shit. Seriously - it reeked like someone had put it in a pig sty for a few months. The seller refused to see what the problem was (maybe it was Miss Piggy?) but fortunately back then they had a phone number you could call for such things and they gave me an instant refund and I was allowed to keep the item, though I binned it.

I must admit, whenever I have telephoned Amazon with a grievance they have been stellar in sorting the issue there and then, too. Though sometimes I struggle to understand wtf they are saying (just like when I phone Microsoft - who on earth do they get to do their customer service on the 'phones? Last one sounded like she was on something and mumbled and drawled so much I barely understood a word!).

Sorry - yeah, going OT here :)

I'm hearing some concerning things about the largest IPD setting for Quest 2 and how it affects FOV. If it's as bad as it was in the Rift S for me (bloody awful) the rest of it will have to be outstanding for me to keep it. FOV isn't everything AFAIC, but the positives have to outweigh the negatives.