New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

This forum and your moderators. Please read.

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,305 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 1
    @Netheri, there's no problem criticizing Oculus, Facebook or whoever. Just as there's no problem praising Oculus, Facebook or whoever.

What is a problem is antagonising other forum members, either as part of being overly enthusiastic... or by baiting other forum members... fanboy name calling is an example of that.

Note also that the moderators are volunteers, we're VR enthusiasts from the early days of the DK headsets, we're not Facebook.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,700 Valuable Player
    edited October 1
    To me the issue that doesn't ever seem to get addressed is: Which is worse, the Baiting or the Taking of the Bait?

The only criticism I have is that "baiting" has always been handled quite loosely on this forum. This goes as far back as 2016.

From the official Forums Rules, it is Rules 1, 3, and 4 that "baiting" falls in to, yet baiting runs rampant. vannagirl called it out earlier, and we can see recent responses in this thread that contain baiting. But nothing is ever really done to address it. The only thing that ever gets addressed is "blatant disruption."

My only suggestion would be that this forum could really use having all the rules applied more evenly. As opposed to picking only those rules that stand out the most to act on.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    I read an article that said the Egg came first. Because, apparently, the Egg has a substance in it that doesn't come from the Chicken, nor can it be produced by the Chicken.
     :o 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,213 Volunteer Moderator
    Dinosaurs were laying eggs long before chickens existed. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,854 Volunteer Moderator
    Awww come on @Zenbane

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,597 Valuable Player
    I think the new rules seem to be going well :) The forum seems a much happier place.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,854 Volunteer Moderator
    Haven't had to get the whip out yet ;)

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• jabjab Posts: 295
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2
    I think the new rules seem to be going well :) The forum seems a much happier place.
    Excluding anyone but a group of like minded yes people will make it peaceful for sure, but also a bit boring and uninformative no? Echo chambers are never healthy in the long run.

Personally I feel this forum has lost most if its relevance (much like the products), and I don't think I am alone. Just look at the post count for the latest 21 release compared to the previous ones.

Right now I am checking in a couple times a week mostly out of old habits until the FB login becomes a requirement.

jab said:
    Excluding anyone but a group of like minded yes people will make it peaceful for sure, but also a bit boring and uninformative no? Echo chambers are never healthy in the long run.

For as long as I've been on this forum (2016), this place has never been an Echo Chamber. I'm quite certain that if this forum ever reached a level of harmony that it qualified as an "echo chamber" ... the entire Internet would implode. 

Personally, I can't think of anyone that I agreed with 100%. For example, Nalex and I disagreed on the validity of using "Alternate Facebook Accounts" for VR usage. Techy has a Reverb for Flight Sims and I'm still using a CV1 while maintaining a preference that leans away from Flight Sims. Rune rates games based on their visual functionality (e.g. SS implementation) whereas I typically ignore graphics and rate almost entirely on gameplay and originality.

When Rift-S was announced, I spent weeks speaking out "against" the effectiveness of inside-out tracking, and was highly critical of Oculus for taking away external sensors.

This community is far from an echo chamber. Those who enjoy their Oculus products are quite vocal about what they like vs don't like. The real value comes from... like-minded individuals coming together to have healthy debate and constructive criticism. Little of which takes place since positivity tends to get over-shadowed by those on a strict "anti" agenda. I do not believe that this community needs an "anti" crowd to consistently disrupt healthy conversation in order to keep some sort of "balance." Those of us who are here for the right reasons are perfectly capable of keeping the balance ourselves.
    edited October 2
    Yeah, just take a look at the threads, plenty of disagreement and always will be.
    Trying to belittle people who don't a problem with Facebook or Oculus isn't a great way argue a case though.
    Just as belittling those who do have an issue is not good.

If the reasoning behind us creating this thread isn't clear, and it doesn't seem to be for some people, we'll be happy to clarify further.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
    edited October 2
    jab said:

Personally I feel this forum has lost most if its relevance (much like the products), and I don't think I am alone. Just look at the post count for the latest 21 release compared to the previous ones.

Right now I am checking in a couple times a week mostly out of old habits until the FB login becomes a requirement.

The mods have explained numerous times in this thread alone that it is not against debate or argument but grudges, baiting and personal attacks. If you find that kind of thing informative and exciting then you are indeed at the wrong forum. 

I know things have changed a lot since 2013, when we both joined but the world moves on and so has Oculus. The forum has many new users excited by the prospect of VR and their new headsets. There is no need to kill that enthusiasm because it's not the direction we would have chosen.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,810 Valuable Player
    Loo
     I for one sometimes miss the entertainment value of the constant nay sayers.
    But it did get old fast.
    WAAAGH!
  • Remmer_GRemmer_G Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    What got old fast for me is the constant group of people, with literally thousands of posts, that come into every problem thread saying they've never had a problem, while also having nothing useful to add.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,828 Valuable Player
    Remmer_G said:
    What got old fast for me is the constant group of people, with literally thousands of posts, that come into every problem thread saying they've never had a problem, while also having nothing useful to add.
    This is usually because the poster with a problem does not provide enough info (like PC specs), nor have they contacted Oculus Support sending them their logfiles imho.  In this case, all an experienced user can say about a particular Oculus App update and device is that it seems to work ok for them.  Most experienced users will list their PC specs in their signatures so that others can see what kind of PC they are running.  I notice that you do not do this.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    jab said:

I'd give this two thumbs up if I could.
    Luciferous said:
    The mods have explained numerous times in this thread alone that it is not against debate or argument but grudges, baiting and personal attacks. If you find that kind of thing informative and exciting then you are indeed at the wrong forum. 

I know things have changed a lot since 2013, when we both joined but the world moves on and so has Oculus. The forum has many new users excited by the prospect of VR and their new headsets. There is no need to kill that enthusiasm because it's not the direction we would have chosen.

I feel like this was the best post in the thread. And with everyone out of forum jail, a good note to end the discussion on, imo.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,828 Valuable Player
    So, are we able to put a mod on our Ignore List?  Just kidding mate.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    So, are we able to put a mod on our Ignore List?  Just kidding mate.
    lol that's an interesting question, I assume you can if the function's there on your drop-down... maybe half or you already have us on ignore and we just don't know!  :o

We can't ignore any of you though... well, the function's there but you know what I mean  ;)
    edited October 9
    Ignore list feature is rubbish, you always see the person being quoted anyway and you still see the post with option to view. Its too tempting not to press.
    edited October 9
    jab said:

Anybody remember the dislike button before it was given the thumbs down? Every post was like the gladiators arena in the Roman Empire :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,157 Valuable Player
    Ignore list feature is rubbish, you always see the person being quoted anyway and you still see the post with option to view. Its too tempting not to press.

Yeah it it still shows an original post starting a thread by the one on ignore list.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Anybody remember the dislike button before it was given the thumbs down? Every post was like the gladiators arena in the Roman Empire :)
    Yeah, it probably seemed at the time like a good way to balance up the comments but... well... the internet!
    We'll get those useful/fun features once the Facebook account linking is mandatory and the forum gets integrated. Assuming that happens, of course.

Facebook's version of a "dislike" button is the Angry Face emoji. Plus, Facebook has a Block button that pretty much removes a person from your social media existence. It works much better than the Vanilla Forum's "ignore" feature. Once this forum becomes part of the Facebook account linking, I think we'll see some improvements overall.
    Art3mis
    jab said:

I prefer to just use real words instead of emoji nonsense.  But I guess the emojis are for the sensitive types who are hurt by words...grin....
    edited October 9

Emoji's are for those who enjoy text-based communication formats in ways that are light-hearted and fun. Not everyone is on a forum specifically looking to pick a fight. 
    Art3mis
    edited October 9
    Zenbane said:

Emoji's are for those who enjoy text-based communication formats in ways that are light-hearted and fun. Not everyone is on a forum specifically looking to pick a fight. 
    I think you are though.  Especially in those PMs you send to me.  Got something derogatory to say, why not just say it here?  

I would like to point out that this the first direct post I have made to you in days.  But yet over and over, you insist on stalking me from thread to thread and now you are stalking me in PMs.  I insist that you stop communicating with me.  I don't like you and I don't HAVE to like you.  Leave me alone stalker.
    edited October 9
    Zenbane said:

I think you are though.  Especially in those PMs you send to me.  Got something derogatory to say, why not just say it here?  

I would like to point out that this the first direct post to I have made to you in days.  But yet over and over, you insist on stalking me from thread to thread and now you are stalking me in PMs.  I insist that you stop communicating with me.  I don't like you and I don't HAVE to like you.  Leave me alone stalker.

As I said in the PM, it's better to handle matters privately, not publicly. Since you're going from one thread to another looking for a fight, let's hash it out one on one over PM. I don't need an audience. And this forum doesn't need any toxicity.