Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BREAKING - Quest 2 Video Revealled!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Edit by mod.
Vid temporarily removed.

Just spoken with @Techy111 - and he agrees that as the video(s) are now all over the web, it can go back up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EPMxJiJRQ&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JTgq3uoQBE&feature=share
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
412 REPLIES 412

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

I didn't:) 

Well, Ok, maybe it's easier if you just list what you'd improve with the Quest 2 and what you'd take out to balance the cost of those improvements.

Facebook can then add that data to what they have  😉

I would XD but it seems like I am the mad person no one listen to LOL
pcls28z4695q.png

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Interesting points here about the price of Quest 2. I guess only time will tell how many people have to end up spending more to get full enjoyment out of it. At the price it is now though, I can see some people purchasing it just to watch movies in bed. We will just have to wait and see how many people find it comfortable for VR games using just the strap. 

The only thing that surprises me is why people are ordering these addons when they haven't even tried the headset for themselves yet? It's like some people already believe it's going to be uncomfortable for full VR usage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:
The only thing that surprises me though is why are people ordering these addons when they haven't even tried the headset for themselves yet? It's like some people already believe it's going to be uncomfortable without addons for full VR usage.

Oh! Because I already got to try it xD the traps hurt my ears after a while. I wear glasses though so maybe is my major problem xD Plus people that already had the GO knows about what the strap feels like for them. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Mradr said:

RedRizla said:
The only thing that surprises me though is why are people ordering these addons when they haven't even tried the headset for themselves yet? It's like some people already believe it's going to be uncomfortable without addons for full VR usage.

Oh! Because I already got to try it xD the traps hurt my ears after a while. I wear glasses though so maybe is my major problem xD

Yeah, I imagine it to be uncomfortable for VR game usage out of the box. However, I have seen some people that think the first Quest was comfortable.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

nalex66 said:

Mradr said:

... its a bit of a fuck you to the customer when you have to keep buying extras on the side to get everything they could put together in the first place.

I think you are fundamentally wrong here. They've made the base functional unit very affordable, and given the consumer the choice for all the extras. Some people may like the elastic strap for watching movies while lying down. Some people may not mind the cheap foam facial interface. Some people may have their own battery pack and headphones that they want to use.

It would have been a bit of a fuck you to the customer to bundle all the extras into a higher priced headset and make everyone pay for those things, whether they want them or not.

Didn't you say something about HTC doing the same thing just a year ago:)? I mean that is how I take "likes" as to say to agree with the comment. 

Also, not really. At the end of the day - you would've not known the difference. For example, if they had a better strap - you would've just thought that is the way it was. Same for the extra battery storage. I can prove this point because no one said anything about removing extras from their CV1, Quest 1, or Rift S to go back to a basic strap. Would've saved money esp for the Rift S by a long shot. Yet, everyone that got it was happy for the strap. You can go look up old post about people telling me that Rift S had a batter strap for PC use over the Quest:)

While I agree those are good use cases - I could argue that they get dirty fast with no good way of cleaning them. So was the "cheap"ness worth if you are a person that likes to keep it clean as possible? I seen reports of the strap causing rubbing and ear pain after a long use because it doesnt give good enough support like the older straps. Its a value you have to weigh and a bag of trade offs you are going to pay for. 

I don’t recall saying anything like that about HTC, but feel free to correct me if you can find such a quote.

Anyway, in the case of Quest 2, it’s their one and only model (once Rift S is retired), so it needs to be all things for all customers that they want to attract. It’s their entry level unit as well as their flagship, so it needs a low base price to make it accessible to the budget-sensitive. For those willing to spend more for a premium product, there’s the larger storage option, better comfort options like the Elite strap and the VR Cover facial interface, and functional improvements with the battery strap, headphone options, and the Link cable. You can spend an extra $300 to get a top end “pro” version with all the options, or pick and choose the features you want. You‘ll also have your choice of third party add-ons. I think this is a very reasonable way to cover all the bases with a single product line. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

inovator
Consultant

Mradr said:

inovator said:

inovator said:

In reality if it costs you 600 dollars your getting a phenomenal deal. 1. A standalone 2. A pc headset, 3. A pc wireless that will get even better. Many  casual users will not need the mods. Besides hardware costs the research costs are huge. I believe it's being sold at a loss. If I'm understanding correctly you mentioned a possible pro in addition. Way back I said oculus will stick with only one unit if the quest is a huge success. I don't believe that will change.

Yeah, R&D is a big deal. If anyone is just adding up the cost of components, they're going to be off by a big factor. Not to mention distribution and logistics, returns and warranty, support, driver and SDK development... advertising...

Yup I left out alot of other costs.

All that cost is cover by many factors - plus they are still making money off
1) Sell your data
2) Selling you
3) Selling you software
4) Devs selling software on their store
5) Selling the headset
6) Selling add ons
7) Not really "repairing" your device - but a force rebuy
Just to name a few extra source of income you are over looking.

R/W is a risk factor - real cost - but a risk factor. Driver and SDK would be paid off by the store use. D/L would be pay off as a block sum - or force the user to take on this cost - either way at a bigger discount than normal shipping would would be pay off from the 250 price tag or over time by other services/plans. R/W and D/L are a one time cost as well usually. Business take lost here - nothing new if there is a problem with their product. Its a way to keep making sure that quality is high on ship products. This should only account for less than 5% of total sales. Anymore they need to look at their quality. They are still profiting the 50$ - but could still be use for other reasons of course to cover the off chance. Still - profit. As for the R/D sure - there is cost - that's the hidden cost - but its a cost they are dropping out by switching to the Quest like device. Its cheaper to work on one product idea than it would've been two or more witch is one of the reasons for dropping PC-Only-Headsets. R/D is done at small scale - as well before it goes into a full product. A lot of the R/D we seen didn't hit this unit either as the SoC was done by other company and the same with fast switch LCD. Really, the only cost was design here. There is a big difference here between the Quest 1 and Quest 2 and all around Quest 2 is cheaper by design good or bad.

In reality if it costs you 600 dollars your getting a phenomenal deal. 1. A standalone 2. A pc headset, 3. A pc wireless that will get even better. - inovater

Yes and no. I predicated this, but I figure they would've still broken it down a little with base and pro. In this case, they are doing it in a single unit - and just like before we saw with HTC Vive - its a bit of a fuck you to the customer when you have to keep buying extras on the side to get everything they could put together in the first place. Like R/D wise its not that hard to think and model a extra battery to the back of the headset. Something I even told Snowdog they could've done:P so where is my R/D research money?

I guess we will agree to disagree. You being so bitter is influencing what your saying. 

inovator
Consultant

nalex66 said:

Mradr said:

... its a bit of a fuck you to the customer when you have to keep buying extras on the side to get everything they could put together in the first place.

I think you are fundamentally wrong here. They've made the base functional unit very affordable, and given the consumer the choice for all the extras. Some people may like the elastic strap for watching movies while lying down. Some people may not mind the cheap foam facial interface. Some people may have their own battery pack and headphones that they want to use.

It would have been a bit of a fuck you to the customer to bundle all the extras into a higher priced headset and make everyone pay for those things, whether they want them or not.

For my quest one I had my own brick battery that I used (I owned it before the quest). I used a 20 dollar strap solution for comfort. The original phone was fine for me. Your points exactly.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I was really disappointed today. I found some bluetooth earphones and would really like to use them with Quest 2 - or for Quest 1 as well - but I was reading about all the issues doing that, even though technically it is possible.

I'm still going to get them to use with the Quest/2 and wireless PCVR. Then I can just select sound output from the PC - it will be a case of what the latency is like. If no good, I'll just return them to Amazon!

Though I think set 1 would be better - set 2 are more for music player & phone control, which would be of no use.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Richooal
Consultant

I was really disappointed today. I found some bluetooth earphones and would really like to use them with Quest 2 - or for Quest 1 as well - but I was reading about all the issues doing that, even though technically it is possible.

I'm still going to get them to use with the Quest/2 and wireless PCVR. Then I can just select sound output from the PC - it will be a case of what the latency is like. If no good, I'll just return them to Amazon!

Though I think set 1 would be better - set 2 are more for music player & phone control, which would be of no use.

I'll never buy anything from Amazon again.
If you can stick those things in your ears and Amazon will take them back, just because you don't like them, then I don't like Amazon.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Luciferous
Consultant
Well not Amazon unless its direct from them but it is normally down to the supplier.

I have a friend who designed/created and sells camping / fishing portable toilets. People return them often with bits of crap in them after they had a camping weekend. Now he just bins them but less scrupulous people?

Being able to return things easy is the price he has to accept for using Amazon. He says the number of sales generated from Amazon he gets completely wipes out any returns losses.