Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUDNnIXZmM

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
659 REPLIES 659

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Hey guys, is anyone else having the blurry texture issue? I used to get this with previous versions, but not every time I played - it was just an irregular annoyance. Since the update I seem to have it all the time - the area around you is worst. Sometimes it's blurry from the off, sometimes it's okay first, then when you move to an area, the terrain in your immediate vicinity becomes blurred. If I start mining from the ground it sharpens up fast. It's very weird.
I've seen others complaining of this on the NMS reddit, but no solutions and as it's intermittent, it's difficult to fix. I used the settings recommended on the Cas & Chary YT channel.

Funny thing is, before the update that introduced the living ships I never had this at all, with Index or Quest - then it became quite frequent and now, after Origins, it's every session. I've switched TAA off which made no difference.

Could this be what you are talking about (link below)? Some suggest turning tessellation off, but I'm not sure if that will help.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/2850173019341587677/

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
No, that's something else - the pop-in doesn't bother me much, never been a big issue - not like Subnautica!

I've seen a number of people complaining about the issue I have and TAA was mentioned, but on or off doesn't seem to make a difference. I will be trying all possible different settings and see if anything changes. ** I seem to remember having this on the Quest first for a while but not in the Index, but then it affected both after a while.
I used to have most things on high-ish settings, but I think there was an issue once, can't remember exactly. I was wondering why people on flatscreens were complaining about performance, when I was having no issues in VR. After Living Ships update things started getting a bit unpleasant, so I used the settings recommended by Cas & Chary, which seemed okay to start with, but things got progressively worse each update.

Last night I had a freeze/CTD whilst playing. I got those quite frequently a while back and I think that's about memory optimisation on the dev's part. Seems if I don't save fairly frequently (every 10 minutes or so), it freezes - and always when I'm just starting to use the terrain modulator. We know their memory optimisation isn't good because of the problems players have with terrain returning to how it was after being modded for bases and showing mineral deposits where they have already been mined. Of course, there is a limit on the number of changes you can make to the terrain, which is far from ideal.

I think I will go about this arse-about-tit and set everything to high, then reduce it one by one, instead of starting from low. Just for a change 🙂

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@JohnnyDioxin -Let us know if you fix it. Cheers!

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well, it's been quite an evening. I started off with a fresh game on permadeath - tedious as it is, due to the tiny amounts of stacks in the inventory, but it was just for testing the graphics settings.

Set off with everything on low with the exception of base detail, which was on medium. Everything went well, with no issues bar one freeze/CTD when I jumped out of my ship, but the save was intact and it gave me an error code, for once.

On restart all was well and no more freezes the whole evening. One thing I have had issues with is audio, which I had problems with before the upgrade and reinstall. Lots of pops and crackles and every now and then it goes mute for several seconds before continuing as before. This only happens in NMS, and in nothing else.

Anyway, I took a few screenshots for comparisions, but in the end I didn't need them. I set everything to "Ultra" and GTAO on Standard - left AA off - and the difference was quite jaw dropping. Best thing, no drop off in performance, no stutters, no crashes, nothing - however I did notice the pop-in was worse - but again, not excessively so.

xdiblbtbsi03.jpg

I'm not calling this "sorted" yet - when I've played for a week or so with no problems on these settings - then it will be sorted.

By the by, I found some nice new touches with this update today as well.

<SPOILERS!!>
Firstly, the visitor spacecraft that land near you on a planet. You can sell them materials but they sell you upgrades for your ship, suit and multitool. I won't go into too much detail for those that haven't had this happen yet, but I bought an unknown upgrade for my scanner and it gave me an extra 49% range. Was well pleased. However, the two upgrades I bought for my multitool (I only have one and it's the best I've ever had, despite being a class B - perhaps they tweaked the upgrades?) which were more expensive were a total waste of nanites.

Then there was the mist and low cloud on frozen planets - excellent effects. Maybe they've been there all along and I didn't experience them because I wasn't on ultra settings?

Thirdly, up to now I'd only seen the meteorites from afar, but last thing this evening, I visited a Transmission Tower. I went into one of the nearby caves to mine some cobalt and when I came out there were fires everywhere. I can only assume they were caused by these meteorites.

ln8nd7e22jcm.jpgbcwkjaof0gpv.jpg

I saw the big "Tremors" style worm thing yesterday, though it was quite far away. I also note the slightly modified procedure and interactions in the anomoly, too.

Anyway, having a great time in this game. Must have well over 500 hours now, since April.

Oh, one final glitch - in the anomoly, all the text was in German! Good job I'm fluent, but it that text block is very distracting, wish we could get rid of it.

sk6i9fem65uj.jpg

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How do you stop your controllers drifting in this games? I'm using the Oculus Cv1 controllers and I can't stand still?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Fixed the above ^^ But here's an interesting fact. I have a program called fps that lets me monitor fps in VR by flipping my controller over in VR games. I first played No Mans Sky using the Oculus CV1 with 150% super Sampling in Steam VR and got a measly 42 to 52 fps. I then switched to HP Reverb G1 and was shocked to see I got between 52 and 82 fps using its native resolution. This was mostly high settings apart from post processing, which I set to low because I don't like it. I then switched most of the other setting to ultra and was getting around 42 to 65 fps, which still beats the Oculus Cv1 with its Super Sampling set to 150%.

Anyway, what I'll take from this is that the HP G1 craps all over Cv1 when it comes to fps and visuals, and I didn't think I'd be saying that. Super Sampling is nothing but a resource hog, which tells me that CV1 would have been better using a higher resolution instead of Super Sampling to get a better image.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

Anyway, what I'll take from this is that the HP G1 craps all over Cv1 when it comes to fps and visuals, and I didn't think I'd be saying that. Super Sampling is nothing but a resource hog, which tells me that CV1 would have been better using a higher resolution instead of Super Sampling to get a better image.

All Oculus had to do was to put Quest 1 panels in the CV1. That said, NMS does not support native Oculus drivers, and I've seen a few times in other games and apps that Index delivers 50 to 100 % better performance using native Steam drivers than CV1 - when pushing a similar amount of pixels. And ASW 2.0 isn't supported for the CV1 in NMS, adding to the perceived performance problems. 
Personally I'd like oled and CV1 SDE in NMS due to the very low-res textures, the game looks very bad using lcd, but that'll break my rule of never disconnecting the Index from the rig 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

Fixed the above ^^ But here's an interesting fact. I have a program called fps that lets me monitor fps in VR by flipping my controller over in VR games. I first played No Mans Sky using the Oculus CV1 with 150% super Sampling in Steam VR and got a measly 42 to 52 fps. I then switched to HP Reverb G1 and was shocked to see I got between 52 and 82 fps using its native resolution. This was mostly high settings apart from post processing, which I set to low because I don't like it. I then switched most of the other setting to ultra and was getting around 42 to 65 fps, which still beats the Oculus Cv1 with its Super Sampling set to 150%.

I have fpsVR but I've never actually used it because I don't want to fall into the framerate chasing trap. I did that with DCS World a couple of years back and it wasn't nice. Now I go by the mantra that if it looks nice, who cares what the framerate is. I'll only use it now if I get real performance issues like bad stuttering.

I'm in Index with 120Hz refresh rate and 113% resolution plus motion smoothing (general setting). I suppose I could give fpsVR a go just to see what it comes up with, but not for tweaking.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Without changing anything, this evening I had the blurry texture issue, but not all the time. I'm putting it down to a game glitch just as I did before and not going to chase a setting solution because it doesn't make sense. If it was fine yesterday but not today with no changes, then AFAIC the problem is not at my end. Not after having the same thing on two different PCs.

edit - couple of screenshots I took to illustrate the issue - which I never get when in water, btw:

c52c726a4b3d.jpgrmgxc096cxsz.jpg

This when I jump to a new spot - it fills in the detail within a few seconds, usually, but blurs again every jump. Although on some terrain types it doesn't happen at all. Just too mixed up to simply be a setting error.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@JohnnyDioxin - This is exactly what it describes in that link I gave you to Steam. Did you read all the thread and look at the screen shots someone had posted?

Not sure if this would help, but have you tried reinstalling the game and your Graphics card driver?