cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Wars: Squadrons (Impressions)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
As of now, I've spent over 3 hours in SW:S, and I'm really enjoying the heck out of this flight shooter!

I won't be attempting a comprehensive review (yet) since I haven't finished the full single story campaign, but I do want to call out some great first impressions.

In particular, the character models and realism is rather amazing and rare in VR. Some of the character models are convincingly realistic.

mb5q1ts3l18l.jpg

ocyw6g9qj0ij.jpg

Experiencing VR's "presence" with these characters is quite the special treat. I go out of my way to engage in one-on-one dialogue with each character (as available).

Now, if I had a complaint, it would be that there is no free-form movement. Everything is fixed in place, with Teleportation to predetermined areas. Very much on par with Wilson's Heart (another personal VR favorite). However, there are multiple areas that open up for exploration, and there are quite a few times where I truly felt like I was in a Star Wars universe (or on the set of a Star Wars film).

90r81sz9gogx.jpg

Note that all of these images are coming straight from my machine, and I'm playing this on the classic Rift CV1, with a mere GTX 980.

One of my favorite aspects of this game are the nuances. I love how they load an R2 unit in to the back of your ship. And this droid is very vocal and animated. You can turn your head behind you any time to see the droid being fully animated.

otltvsp485gv.jpg

Other minor details include the use of the Holo-comm inside the ship; where your Commander can pop in to give you orders in classic Star Wars fashion.

u3nn8qo1ziu9.jpg

As for the flight combat itself,

I would simply compare this more directly with Eve Valkyrie. It has a strong "flight arcade shooter" feel to it; with a heavy emphasize on arcade-style. But once you get the hang of the controls, taking out enemy fighters, blasting turrets off huge ships, dodging missiles, and taking on larger than life vessels feels like this title is well worth the price of admission.
145 REPLIES 145

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm still trying to tweak the graphics. I wish there were more options than TSAA which makes things a bit blurry. 

But I love the campaign. It's the space combat game I've always wanted.

I am surprised by the complexity of the controls. I'm having trouble mapping all the controls to my HOTAS. Using a HOTAS the game is extra hard but rather satisfying. 

I've just scratched the surface. I love the fact that this game has a full campaign with story and characters. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

saami81
Rising Star
I have not finished campaign yet, but i like it so far. I got my controls tuned good enough and game runs well. Who does not want to be a space pilot? 🙂

Star wars was not the first movie that made me want to fly in space and shoot enemies. It was Battlestar Galactica. I remember watching that tv-movie and i was sold. Now i can finally get very close to it.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Is it safe to suggest the VR experience is much better than playing 2D?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

mcdaniels2k9
Honored Guest
Hey folks, can you do me a favour?

I have got the Rift and Rift S and I experience screen tearing when:

a.) something fast passes by and I look out of the left / right window. E.g. A tie-fighter goes head on with me and then passes left and I look to the left watching the pass the fighter.

b.) If I rotate the ship and look at the debirs and ships in space which scroll from left to right / up down, they are viewed with double triple shadow (tearing / ghosting combination?!).

So simply said: Every fast moving object is having a double triple shadow when it is moving fast by my side.

I also have to mention, that I also have this with flightsims. (fast passing objects left or right -> Double / triple vision)
Tried the HP Reverb too ->  same behaviour.

As I have a higher end rig:
AMD Ryzen 3800x (not overclocked)
16GB of DDR4 Ram
Asus Rog STRIX RTX 2800
27" TFT

and reinstalled everything multiple times,
I wonder if this is just the normal behavior of VR? I got a headache cause of these double and triple  pictures.

Do you also have these issues in Squadrons? Even if I lower the rendering resolution that low, I even cant read the menus the behavior is the same.

Only thing I recognized is, that I have low performance headrom in Rift-Performanceoverlay from time to time (and dont know why / if this is the cause)

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Zen why am I seeing X wings and rebel terrorist.
Please let us know your location so we can send a team to collect you for.... the good of the empire.
ENDOR. NEVER FORGET!
WAAAGH!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@mcdaniels2k9 -You probably need to run the game capped at 45 fps using ASW or adjust VSync to see if that helps. I play DCS World at 45 fps in VR because I was getting what you were getting. That is how I got rid of it anyway.

mcdaniels2k9
Honored Guest

RedRizla said:

@mcdaniels2k9 -You probably need to run the game capped at 45 fps using ASW or adjust VSync to see if that helps. I play DCS World at 45 fps in VR because I was getting what you were getting. That is how I got rid of it anyway.

Ok... I'll give it a try. Do I have to set this via the oculus tray tool? (Squadrons is running via Steam VR)
I also fly DCS and have this issue 😉

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

Ok... I'll give it a try. Do I have to set this via the oculus tray tool? (Squadrons is running via Steam VR)

This might help but it's a while since I used my Oculus VR headset. I think this is still the same way you set ASW to 45 fps. So I think it's force enabled to make it stay at 45 fps.

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/pc/asynchronous-spacewarp/?locale=en_GB

mcdaniels2k9
Honored Guest
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!

RedRizla said:

RedRizla said:

This might help but it's a while since I used my Oculus VR headset. I think this is still the same way you set ASW to 45 fps. So I think it's force enabled to make it stay at 45 fps.

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/pc/asynchronous-spacewarp/?locale=en_GB

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!! That trick did it!!! Set it to 45 in OTT and there are is no double picture anymore, but the crosshair is jittery (like in the spitfire -> blurry when moving).

Anyways it is much better with 45, if I set 45 locked (double vision is there again).

I wonder what for I got that monsterrig when it is not capable of holding up the FPS (80/90)

Thank you very very much!!