Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Can't wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLUDNnIXZmM

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
659 REPLIES 659

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Remember that this has now shown up on my old hardware and my new stuff, including a complete fresh Windows install and therefore Steam and the game, too.

Actually, though, thinking about it - I didn't have this problem before and I'm wondering if it started after I got the 2080Ti - I was using an RTX2060 before that. In any case, it's still weird that it's an intermittent issue, even in the same session.

I will move it to another SSD and see if that makes a difference. I won't reinstall it as this has been the third install where it has happened.

**yes, in that thread you linked to the guy is talking about when using terrain tesselation, which I believe is a AMD card option

They seem to agree it's a game issue, too - I did try the VR Optimisation mod for the game that people seem to think is the holy grail, but made zero difference to anything for me. I'll try the LOD one that is recommended, though.

Here's alink to the mod for anyone else interested - it's only the "Lite" version for now - the guy is working on an ultra version. I'll report back on how effective it is for me.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@JohnnyDioxin -I was looking to use that LOD mod, but I'm not sure what it's used for. Do you think it will increase fps or is it mainly to fix the stuff you're talking about?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
It's supposed to fix the blurries - but I tried it today and it doesn't do a very good job, though they don't seem quite as bad. This is supposed to be the 'Lite' version, maybe the 'Ultra' version will be better.

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

Fixed the above ^^ But here's an interesting fact. I have a program called fps that lets me monitor fps in VR by flipping my controller over in VR games. I first played No Mans Sky using the Oculus CV1 with 150% super Sampling in Steam VR and got a measly 42 to 52 fps. I then switched to HP Reverb G1 and was shocked to see I got between 52 and 82 fps using its native resolution. This was mostly high settings apart from post processing, which I set to low because I don't like it. I then switched most of the other setting to ultra and was getting around 42 to 65 fps, which still beats the Oculus Cv1 with its Super Sampling set to 150%.

Anyway, what I'll take from this is that the HP G1 craps all over Cv1 when it comes to fps and visuals, and I didn't think I'd be saying that. Super Sampling is nothing but a resource hog, which tells me that CV1 would have been better using a higher resolution instead of Super Sampling to get a better image.

I'm sure you mean fpsVR. It's a nice program and I have also been using it for a couple of years.

Regarding resolution, that's what I've been saying since I got my O+. I was already pushing more pixels than the Reverb G1 and the G1 at 100% has a better image than my O+ did at 180%. For whatever reason, the WMR headsets have a very low distortion correction and run close to their native resolution at 100%. This is great for performance.

I don't know enough about lens tech to say why that is. The Index is running a 1.4x correction so 100% in an index is close to the G2's 100% resolution. And we know which one looks much better there. At first I thought it was from Fov but I'm not sure.

Maybe that HP/Valve collaboration on the lenses will be beneficial to Valve's next headset.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Just had another 5+ hour session and that mod is definitely not doing anything to help - things were getting really bad at one point. I've read a couple of posts by people who say a save & exit/restart helps but I haven't seen that myself.

So tonight I started fiddling with the settings again. I've currently got most on High - I noticed that on the video Cas & Chary did about VR settings, they recommended using FXAA but when I tried that it looked really terrible - though their video is getting long in the tooth now.

So I've completely switched off AA again - the AF does seem to have a positive effect. It gets difficult to be really sure after a while. At one stage I'd got it so that although you could see that the base image was good - saturation, gamma, detail etc - it was as though I was looking through a glass pane with condensation on it. Really weird. I tried to find which setting had made it look like that, but couldn't suss it. It's really frustrating when you can see epic potential but just can't get that last tenth out of it.

When I get the best I can out of it, I'll  post the settings I end up with. Long way to go, yet.

**btw this will be the first game I will try with my Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop wireless (at 90Hz) so I can't wait to see how it looks. I just found the UploadVR article saying that 'God' had got the prog working already with Quest 2, which is the main reason I'm getting one (as in I was hoping he would and really chuffed to read he has already done it). Be interesting to see what Air Link brings, though.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@JohnnyDioxin - Did you say you were playing this wireless? Maybe it's down to the transfer of date if that is the way you are playing it.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
No - I do play it wirelessly but in the last couple of weeks only on Index. It happens on both - it's not headset specific.

ps - the fact that many others suffer from the same (I've seen it come up on reddit as well, many times before everyone seemed to give up and accept it) shows that it's a game issue. I didn't see people saying that they were using VR, either, so it probably affects both. I wonder if the console kiddies are having it, too.

edit - wow, I hadn't actually done a general search on info for this, but it seems it's been an issue since game release, 4 years ago! So definitely not VR specific.
I see a couple of gamer sites have "solutions" which I may try - one claims it is all down to the anisotropic filtering and can be fixed by changing the nVidia panel settings, though if that would do anything in VR is unknown.

I've got a lot of reading to do, but I'll try and spend a lot of the day - it is Sunday after all - investigating and see if I can find anything that really works.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Ok ay I've read up everything that Ive found - this is definitely a game issue, not my issue. I'm still adjusting certain settings but there is no guarantee at all that it will get sorted. This has been around for over 4 years and nothing has been done - seemingly because for one it is coded at a low res and the upscaling is a fiasco and secondly because Hello Games refuse to even acknowledge the issue, so they won't be trying to fix it - a bit like the Subnautica debacle.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Good news - seem to have fixed it - pending further sessions - by forcing Anitsotropic Filtering through the nVidia cpl.
Just had another 5+ hour session and no texture issues at all.

Really pleased to finally be able to play without this distraction - for a game where you spend so much time looking at the terrain, it needs to be up to snuff!

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

Fixed the above ^^ But here's an interesting fact. I have a program called fps that lets me monitor fps in VR by flipping my controller over in VR games. I first played No Mans Sky using the Oculus CV1 with 150% super Sampling in Steam VR and got a measly 42 to 52 fps. I then switched to HP Reverb G1 and was shocked to see I got between 52 and 82 fps using its native resolution. This was mostly high settings apart from post processing, which I set to low because I don't like it. I then switched most of the other setting to ultra and was getting around 42 to 65 fps, which still beats the Oculus Cv1 with its Super Sampling set to 150%.

Anyway, what I'll take from this is that the HP G1 craps all over Cv1 when it comes to fps and visuals, and I didn't think I'd be saying that. Super Sampling is nothing but a resource hog, which tells me that CV1 would have been better using a higher resolution instead of Super Sampling to get a better image.

A bit late to this thread, the difference in performance is most likely down to SteamVR being a pile of old shite on Oculus headsets. I'm sure Valve do it on purpose. The update before this latest one broke OpenComposite for the game which was annoying, not sure if this latest one still has the issue.

I ALWAYS play Steam VR games without SteamVR whenever possible because of the performance difference it gives for most games.

Valve don't get anywhere near enough grief as they should do for how crap SteamVR is for Oculus headsets, it's got on my tits for quite some time now.