New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I just love how rift owners got the shaft

I love how us PC VR adopters are getting pretty much the shaft with Oculus discontinuing the rift and wanting to focus on the quest. So what does that mean to anyone now with a Rift-S? Should we sell it while we can or cut our losses?

Comments

• Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    I love how us PC VR adopters are getting pretty much the shaft with Oculus discontinuing the rift and wanting to focus on the quest. So what does that mean to anyone now with a Rift-S? Should we sell it while we can or cut our losses?
    I've been trying to sell my Rift with 3 sensors for a month and a half.  So far I've had one offer of $100.  6-7 months ago, I would have been able to sell it easily and for a reasonable price.  (around $250)  I'll take it out into the desert and use it for target practice with a half pound of Tannerite before I sell it for that.  Seriously.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,096 Valuable Player
    Like my Rift cv1 already is, the Rift S is earmarked for its production to end sometime next year.  Production will be discontinued but device support will continue for some time to come, including any warranty issues.  So, I would just continue to enjoy some of the best PCVR with your Rift S.  I intend to do this with my Rift cv1. 

I have preordered a Quest 2 mainly for mobile VR and media.  Plus, wireless with Virtual Desktop is kinda fun to muck around with.  I'm also very interested in riding its development train over the next year or so.  If improvements to its firmware and Link software gets to the stage that its PCVR performance matches my Rift cv1 I'll happily retire it.  I honestly do not see that happening any time soon, but who know? 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• falken76falken76 Posts: 3,066 Valuable Player
    They discontinued my Rift when yours came out, I still use it right now.  I couldn't get anything for it if I tried to sell it anyway.  I pre-ordered HPs new headset.  It's the only one in all this time since I bought the CV1 that looked like an upgrade that was worth it and in my price range.
  • HaselHoofHaselHoof Posts: 136
    Art3mis
    But the rift will still function and i still enjoy using mine  .1 have the Rift CV1 and it works fine  , when the Rift S came out the CV1 didnt stop working so i think your worrying about nothing just enjoy the great devices.
  • ThugThug Posts: 436
    Trinity
    I think the disappointment is that Oculus appear to have abandoned PCVR.
    Ok, my CV1 still works great as does my Oculus account and games, but i want to play my games, those that i have bought, in the best and newest high end resolutions and FOV's and not via a 4 or 5 year old piece of hardware. I want to see more PCVR games produced and not just via the cordless headsets with less quality.
    If i cant then please let me play my Oculus purchased games via a different headset from a different manufacturer.
    I could have bought these via Steam and wouldn't be having this issue, but i chose to use and support Oculus, so please let me have the choice.
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,066 Valuable Player
    Thug said:
    I think the disappointment is that Oculus appear to have abandoned PCVR.
    Ok, my CV1 still works great as does my Oculus account and games, but i want to play my games, those that i have bought, in the best and newest high end resolutions and FOV's and not via a 4 or 5 year old piece of hardware. I want to see more PCVR games produced and not just via the cordless headsets with less quality.
    If i cant then please let me play my Oculus purchased games via a different headset from a different manufacturer.
    I could have bought these via Steam and wouldn't be having this issue, but i chose to use and support Oculus, so please let me have the choice.

You fell for the scam of buying software on a proprietary platform, you should have bought them on steam with the exceptions of exclusives here since they aren't available on Steam.  Many of us saw this scam from day one and bought from Steam.  You can use a hack like Re-vive to play some of the games you bought on Oculus.  Buy the software on Steam, they're a universal platform, you switch HMDs, you don't need a hack to keep playing the games you bought.  Change your buying patterns today.