New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus is Now Powered by Facebook

NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 171
Art3mis
edited October 11 in General
Logging on to Oculus.com now gives you this pop-up.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,312 Valuable Player
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    So, I went ahead and logged in with Facebook and when I launched the Oculus App it started just like normal. Nothing seems any different. However, I did already have the accounts linked, so there's that. The only difference that I can see is that now in "Facebook Settings" it now has my Facebook name.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,871 Valuable Player
    Its okay, we were told, "Oculus is not a brand, Rift is a brand!"
    2xan55713klf.png
    https://vrawards.aixr.org/
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,811 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:

I'm fairly certain that Oculus has always been a brand, and Rift has always been a Product.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    So, I went ahead and logged in with Facebook and when I launched the Oculus App it started just like normal. Nothing seems any different. However, I did already have the accounts linked, so there's that. The only difference that I can see is that now in "Facebook Settings" it now has my Facebook name.

I'm hoping that we start to see some real benefits to all this soon. Quest 2 is officially out of pre-order status and live on the market tomorrow. I hope this means that Horizons is also available! 

That would be the reason we're all now seeing this new Facebook banner.
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 204
    Nexus 6
    How about if you want to keep your Oculus library but opt for a compatible headset (like HP reverb 2) will they be able to use their tyrannical TOS on you anyways? I mean you have paid for your Apps you should be able to use them without having to comply to their TOS.... unless the apps were never yours to start with loll
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
    32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Art3mis
    kobs57 said:
    How about if you want to keep your Oculus library but opt for a compatible headset (like HP reverb 2) will they be able to use their tyrannical TOS on you anyways? I mean you have paid for your Apps you should be able to use them without having to comply to their TOS.... unless the apps were never yours to start with loll
    The bad news is that I'm almost certain that they will be disabling your account, not your headset. So even if you get a competitor's product and use Revive, you won't be able to use your purchased games after the deadline.

And you are right that you never actually own software, you license it and that license can be revoked.
    kobs57 said:
    Lol screwed to the end aren't we *shakes head* doesn't matter i'd rather buy all my titles again and never have to do anything with FB ever again

Yeah, Oculus has never provided direct formal support of non-Oculus headsets. Using Revive is a work-around, and one that will likely face issues once the Facebook Account Linking is mandatory.

But hey, that's the great thing about the open consumer market, right? You can always choose another product. And Steam has been doing great. I've enjoyed getting my titles from SteamVR (e.g. Star Wars: Squadrons). I personally have no qualms owning multiple products from multiple organizations.

In the end, it's all about luxury and fun. None of these things are "essential" in any way. It's all purely entertainment.
  • Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    edited October 12
    kobs57 said:
    Lol screwed to the end aren't we *shakes head* doesn't matter i'd rather buy all my titles again and never have to do anything with FB ever again
    Yep. FB and the people who support that crap are evil and should be shunned.
    edited October 12
    kobs57 said:

Anyone who bought a Rift, GO, or Quest is supporting Facebook. You're an owner of Oculus products as well, so you're supporting Facebook just as much as the people you're attempting to attack with that comment.
    Art3mis
    kevinw729 said:
    Rift is going to become Brand-X at the hands of FB.
    Rift never had its own Logo, because it was never a Brand. The Rift DK1, DK2, CV1, and S, all contain the Oculus Logo/Name on it. Because Oculus is the Brand, and Rift is the Product.

The same goes for Quest and GO. The HMD's have the name "Oculus" on them; because that's the Brand. The physical hardware doesn't actually say Quest/GO on it.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,859 Volunteer Moderator
    @Double_Shot please keep the tone down, there is zero need to attack people for what they purchase and what they support. We want to keep the forum informative and relaxed and helpful to users who WANT to use the hardware and software. Whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion please keep it respectful.

Thanks.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Nexus 6
    edited October 12
    Zenbane said:
    kobs57 said:

Anyone who bought a Rift, GO, or Quest is supporting Facebook. You're an owner of Oculus products as well, so you're supporting Facebook just as much as the people you're attempting to attack with that comment.
    Agreed but back when I bought my CV1 Facebook wasn't even in the picture (or it was hidden) it was just oculus rift. But now that I know all that, I'm doing what I can to escape the evil grasp by buying something else *drums fingers on the desk waiting for the Reverb G2*
    Edit: Not holding my breath, probably not going to enjoy one before Jan-Feb 2021 a bit like the Nvidia 3000 series
    Art3mis
    edited October 12
    <snip> Abusive rant removed.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,267 Volunteer Moderator
    That's enough of that. You've been warned more than once, and this sort of attack is way over the line.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    You know, something just occurred to me about the new Facebook account system; in the past when we’ve banned people from the forum, they would sometimes make a new account and come back to stir it up again. But the forum doesn’t have its own account system, they’re Oculus accounts that we use here. As of yesterday, you can no longer create a new Oculus account, so now anyone joining the forum will have to use a Facebook account. Perhaps we’ll see less trolling going forward. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Yes, we mentioned the same thing on the Facebook Oculus forum last month - the subject was that this forum will now follow the same rules as the Facebook run forums. Will be fascinating to see how the user avatar, and details stuff will be implemented, or merged with the Facebook account stuff - interesting times indeed. :) 
    2xan55713klf.png
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Nexus 6
    So that means the guy who was just banned can no longer use his oculus headset??
    No, it just means he can’t troll the forum. Bans here have never had any impact on other aspects of Oculus accounts. 
    nalex66 said:
    No, it just means he can’t troll the forum. Bans here have never had any impact on other aspects of Oculus accounts. 

But would not a Ban here add to his score regarding his account status and could impact his access?
    2xan55713klf.png
    kevinw729 said:
    nalex66 said:

But would not a Ban here add to his score regarding his account status and could impact his access?
    There is no such scoring system for user accounts. 
    edited October 12
    kevinw729 said:
    nalex66 said:

Hmm, but there's no such thing as a Facebook score though, so his access couldn't be impacted. Also, the banned user openly stated that he didn't have a Facebook account anyway. So even if a Facebook Score did exist, it wouldn't apply in his case.

When I was in Forum Jail for those 2 weeks, nothing prevented me from using my Oculus headset nor Software; and nothing prevented me from using my linked Facebook account. I never received any messages in Oculus nor Facebook during that Jail Time.

Did you notice anything that negatively impacted your Oculus usage while you were in Forum Jail? Curious if I missed something.
    Art3mis
    nalex66 said:
    That's enough of that. You've been warned more than once, and this sort of attack is way over the line.

Nexus 6
    nalex66 said:
    kevinw729 said:
    nalex66 said:

There is no such scoring system for user accounts. 
    Yet loll
    kobs57 said:
    Zenbane said:
    kobs57 said:

Agreed but back when I bought my CV1 Facebook wasn't even in the picture (or it was hidden) it was just oculus rift. But now that I know all that, I'm doing what I can to escape the evil grasp by buying something else *drums fingers on the desk waiting for the Reverb G2*
    Edit: Not holding my breath, probably not going to enjoy one before Jan-Feb 2021 a bit like the Nvidia 3000 series

Yeah, I can get that. Granted, by the time the CV1 was released, Facebook had owned Oculus for 2 years (since 2014). But I agree that back then, Facebook was more in the background.

Now that Facebook is center stage, it is certainly going to put a lot of early adopters off. In your case, I honestly wouldn't stress about it too much since you can still use your Rift CV1 and existing Library without any hassle until 2023. And as long as you don't purchase any more software from the Oculus Store, then you should be in good shape.

Besides, by the time Facebook locks down Oculus Home, I have no doubt that some engineer is going to be posting instructions on how to turn our HMD's in to a dumb terminal and use our Oculus Software while bypassing all that Facebook stuff. Afterall, it's all just a bunch of runtimes!
    Nexus 6
    I've already put most of my games in my wish list on steam, buying them one at a time when I have a little money lose besides the dedicated oculus games like robo recall etc.I will have all of them in steam probably before I get the reverb G2
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,022 Valuable Player
    edited October 12
    nalex66 said:
     As of yesterday, you can no longer create a new Oculus account, so now anyone joining the forum will have to use a Facebook account. Perhaps we’ll see less trolling going forward. 

Maybe he could just create a fake Facebook account if it's that easy to do and get away with doing.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,684 Valuable Player
    edited October 12

Yep he wouldn't have to worry about getting his gaming blocked but boy wouldn't it be ironic that he had to keep opening Facebook accounts to socialize with us :smile:  I bet he would love that.

I am not saying peoples views of Facebook are right or wrong but I just don't get why some people who absolutely detest them, don't just cut their losses and sell the headset on Ebay. The speculation is over, the Facebook path is clear, time to move on if you hate the vision.