cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this user research study a scam?

Liasfur
Honored Guest
Received this email:
Thank you for your recent purchase of Quest 2!

We are looking for people 18 years or older to participate in a
90-day research study starting October 14, 2020 and ending January 15,
2021 so we can learn about your initial experiences with the Quest 2 and
how to make it better.
The study will be conducted remotely and
will include a variety of fun activities from individual interviews, to
video focus groups with other new owners, to in-VR experiences and text
and video-based online discussions. 

To
thank you for your feedback, you will receive $275 if you are selected
and fully participate in the 1st month of the study, with additional
compensation for each activity you complete after that.
Total compensation for full participation is at least $775. Time commitment will be about 3-4 hours of participation a month.  

The feedback we receive from this survey will help us
improve our products. Your responses will be used for research purposes
only. We'll collect and use your data in accordance with our Oculus Data Use Policy.

Follow this link to the survey: Take the Survey. 

If you are selected for the study, our research partner, The Band, will
contact you directly and you will receive a follow-up call or email with
more details.

Thank you,

The Oculus User Experience Research Team & The Band

__

I filled out the survey and got set up with a zoom call with someone who interviewed me to see if I would be a good candidate for the study. Then the next day I received the details of the study and some digital papers to sign. Now I'm getting cold feet, could this just be an elaborate scam?

Edit: the initial email was from

noreply@research.facebookmail.com

7 REPLIES 7

featherz
Honored Guest
I got one too and was wondering the same thing!

As soon as I see money being offered I assume it's a scam, but this sound like it's actually legit.

We had similar queries in the past when emails went out (a couple years back) with almost identical wording and also offering compensation for the time although previously it was $125 amazon gift cards so assuming it's legit, things have improved.

If @ShowbizDonkey could comment though and put your minds at rest, that would be great.

The previous emails had Oculus Research's address on it which was 1 Hacker's Way. That probably didn't help  😐
Either way, if in doubt, don't hit on any links on such emails.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hello @Liasfur @featherz @DaftnDirect , I have checked into this email and can confirm that it is legitimate research study being conducted right now. - Clint
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

foerstermaria
Honored Guest

Glad to know that it's legit because it' sounds interesting!

glaxisgalaxy
Explorer

Will I only get this email if I pressed send me emails when creating my account? Because I want to do this research study 

How will I be able to also have the opportunity to do this?

Hey, @glaxisgalaxy! These emails are normally sent out randomly to different users. If you click the option to receive emails, you may be lucky and get the email for the survey yourself!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.