cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 User Reviews and Impressions

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe nice to have a thread to collect Quest 2 user experiences? 

I'll be happy to start with one from Oculus SubReddit:

First thing I noticed was the black levels are no where near as good as the Quest 1. But oh damn, that display is sharp.

SDE is NOT gone, but it is massively reduced. I notice it mostly looking at UI and reading text.

Thank God setting 2 fits my IPD best because the loss of FOV in setting 3 is really bad.

I was gutted the elite strap has been delayed for me but I was pleasantly surprised by the built in one, it feels more comfortable to me than the Quest 1 strap so far, let's see how I feel after extended use though.

This might be a placebo, but is the tracking more responsive? Just feels like a sliver of delay has been shaved off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jae2n4/quest_2_first_impressions/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

273 REPLIES 273

MarkT25810
Expert Protege
@JohnnyDioxin

Hi there i think my ipd is 67 if i remember....guess you had to
use setting 3? i fear i may have too but if the FOV is worse i do not
think i will get the headset after all, thats the biggest issue ive had
with VR which they do not seem to improve much on

the FOV in my old rift s was all ok when i changed the settings in the software but fear this in setting 3 will be worse

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is acceptable for you. For me, yes, the FOV isn't fantastic - it really is like a diving mask shape and size - but the graphics are great and the Touch controllers are also nice, so it's worth it to me.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Some of the regulars I follow in the Facebook VR Groups are giving Quest 2 high praises as well. Overall, the impressions I'm getting from sources I pay attention to are very high. This is especially exciting considering that this is Week 1 of its release. Usually the first week is a nightmare of complaints. Very groundbreaking moment in VR overall, imo.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I should also add that,

Most of the "cons" from all sources seem to indicate a "small FoV." So at the very least, we can conclude that Quest 2 is not an overall upgrade for Rift-S users. It is a solid upgrade for Quest 1 users, but Rift-S may still have a few leads on Quest 2. Based on what I'm reading from multiple sources.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Okay so...

I went to Target to get some snacks, came home with the Quest 2. Whoopsy!

First impressions?

What an absolutely gorgeous view! The clarity and crispness is a strong upgrade from Rift CV1, GO, and Quest 1.

I find it way more comfortable than the original Quest, and the default GO-style headstrap is perfect. This may very well hold me over for some time, for both stand-alone and PCVR.

Going to try some PCVR titles throughout the week and see how it all plays out.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Whole day with the Q2.........my review.

Pro...
The increase in clarity is very nice, making watching media way more enjoyable(i unfortunatly have to move the HMD about because of the IPD thing does not like me)
Controllers are very good, nice, light and they seem to work perfectly, although i have not tried them yet with something like Beat saber.
Audio is good, seems to have a nice bass to it also, and that basic headset seems to be ok, no issues with it even after a few hours in the HMD.
The lighter weight from the quest 1 is very nice indeed, it is no longer like having a breeze block hung on your face.

Cons....
That IPD mess is pure garbage, seems mine in between the third and second setting so it can never get both eyes totally clear.
Third IPD setting and you see the edges of the LCD panel......unforgivable in a VR HMD as far as i am concerned.
God rays are still there and the display is slightly blurry, but as i said, this might be because the IPD thing is trash and i can't fine tune it to my actual IPD.
Black levels and colour vibrancey both take a hit compared to oled, but at this point the industry is going the cheaper lcd route so not much we can do about it, it is what it is.
Oculus link works to a degree but iit is quite obvious that there is a visual impact on the clarity when compared to a native PCVR, plus that IPD thing just impacts on everything with this HMD for those who don't fit into those 3 specific settings.

So this thing is perfect for my better half as it is light, it fits her IPD perfectly and is not thethered to any PC, for me it is of no use whatsoever because of that one feature, that IPD thing, i mean would it have killed them to have a digital IPD slider in the menu options to fine tune into people IPDs, i mean WMR first gen had this option on W10.

A hit and miss HMD, will be great for some, will be useless for others.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Okay so...

I went to Target to get some snacks, came home with the Quest 2. Whoopsy!

First impressions?

What an absolutely gorgeous view! The clarity and crispness is a strong upgrade from Rift CV1, GO, and Quest 1.

I find it way more comfortable than the original Quest, and the default GO-style headstrap is perfect. This may very well hold me over for some time, for both stand-alone and PCVR.

Going to try some PCVR titles throughout the week and see how it all plays out.

The Room VR: A Dark Matter may be a first choice, as I know you love puzzle games (and Room VR is the highest rated game in the Rift Store, 4.9/5 = 98% based on about 250 ratings) - it's one of the 3 games with 4K-ish textures, but Boneworks and Alyx may be even better - to show off the 4K panel res. 

Then again - one dude on Reddit mentioned that you get Quest 1 res in Quest 2 PCVR and that image quality was significantly worse than Rift-S, for now. He could not get any effect out of Oculus Tray Tool, thus super sampling did not work - or did not provide perceivable benefits to image quality, maybe due to the compression. 

Still Room VR for puzzle fans - and/or Boneworks - should still be the best way to test ultra-res PCVR textures quality, and maybe some good ol' Lucky's Tale 😉

Btw, Reddit seems relatively quiet this morning, some like Q2, some don't - most critical posts seem about problems merging accounts. Other central problems, like @OmegaM4N wrote, seem to be about comfort and IPD too. 

No matter what, also coming from Index, the jump in res from both CV1 and Quest 1 to Quest 2 should be massive - if it isn't, then something is wrong (IPD, some may have vision problems and not know it - and of course the new high-res panels should make PCVR compression artifacts extremely easy to see if present, because there's no SDE to cover up artifacts). Personally I highly recommend having both lcd and oled hmds available for PCVR, but I won't start repeating myself ... again 🙂

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I wonder if this is the first dude to notice the columns, but diagonal?! Anyome knows if Oculus rotated the Quest 2 panels?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/jawc3t/quest_2_diagonal_lines_on_screen_and_hiss_from/

As written in a comment, another dude sees the columns too, which is to be expected if you got razor-sharp vision and use a lcd hmd.

Most Index, Reverb and Rift-S users do not see the columns, not sure I trust any review that does not comment on the columns, or is completely sure they are not present...

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The Quest 2 doesn’t look like it has any sort of diagonal column pattern in this shot from Tyriel Wood’s latest “through the lens” video:
dfpaxjha4t17.png

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nalex66 said:

The Quest 2 doesn’t look like it has any sort of diagonal column pattern in this shot from Tyriel Wood’s latest “through the lens” video:
dfpaxjha4t17.png

You can't see them when you're standing still, lcd columns can only be seen when moving. It's not the usual SDE. Can be seen in some lcd TVs too, but normally you're so far away from a TV that they can't be seen - but lcd hmds are different.