cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Store Compatibility and Cross Buy FAQ for Rift, Quest 1, Quest 2 and Go.

kojack
MVP
MVP
With the influx of people from the Quest 2, many are asking about how game purchases work with the Rift and Quest. Things are a bit more complex than you might expect.

Hardware & OS

Headsets

The Rift CV1 and Rift S (I'll just call them Rift) are PC headsets. They connect with a cable to a Windows PC.

The Quest 1 and 2 (I'll just call them Quest) are stand alone headsets. This means they have their own computer built in and run games directly, no PC needed. They are Android based and use mobile phone chips. Quest 1 and Quest 2 are compatible for games and they use the same store.

The Go is also a stand alone headset. It runs Android on a mobile chip like the Quest, but is much weaker. It is also a 3DOF headset, which means it can't track movement, only rotation.

Software Compatibility

Software made for the Rift can't work on the Quest or Go directly, they aren't compatible. Likewise, Quest and Go software can't work on the Rift. It's like trying to play a PC game on a mobile phone, it's the wrong hardware and OS. If a developer wants to support Rift and Quest or Go they need to build their game for both platforms. How easy that is depends on the game, getting a Rift game ported to the Quest can require heavy optimisation, the Quest is just far weaker than a good gaming PC.

Stores

Oculus Stores

There are 4 Oculus stores: Rift, Go, GearVR and Quest.

Rift Store
The Rift Store has windows based PC games. You can buy from the Rift Store using the Oculus website, the Oculus desktop app, the Oculus mobile app or in VR using the Rift.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

Quest Store
The Quest Store has Android based stand alone games. You can buy from the Quest store using the Oculus website, the Oculus mobile app or in VR using the Quest.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/

Go Store
The Go Store has Android based stand alone games. You can buy from the Go store using the Oculus Website, the Oculus mobile app or in VR using the Go.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/

GearVR Store
As far as I know, the GearVR store is the same as the Go store. Every Go game I've looked at says it is GearVR compatible too.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/

Third Party Stores

You need to enable Unknown Sources in your Rift settings to play games from third party stores.

Steam
Steam sells VR games made for PC only. They don't sell Android based games that would run on the Quest or Go. The Rift can run any game from Steam that is made for SteamVR (like HalfLife Alyx), or some games include native Rift support.

Epic Game Store
Same as Steam, the Epic store only sells PC games. If they have VR support using SteamVR or native Oculus support, they will run on the Rift.

Cross Buy

Cross buy is when a game is available on both stores, and buying on one gives you a free copy on the other. For example, Audica is cross buy. If you buy it on the Rift store, it will become free on the Quest store. It works the other way too, buy on Quest and get it for free on Rift.
Developers choose if their game is cross buy. Some do (Audica, Pistol Whip, Vader Immortal, etc). Others don't (Beat Saber, Virtual Desktop, etc).
If a game isn't cross buy and you want it on both platforms, you have to buy it twice.
Games that are cross buy between the Rift and Quest: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/2335732183153590

The Go has a limited selection of games that can be played on the Quest. They won't appear in your Quest library, you need to change the library in your Quest user interface from Quest to Go and they will be visible.
https://support.oculus.com/684583725353553/

Steam and Epic Game Store aren't cross buy with Oculus. If you buy Beat Saber on Steam, you can run it on the Rift, but you don't get it on the Oculus store, it's still only on Steam. While Audica is cross buy for Rift and Quest, if you buy the Rift version of Audica on Steam you don't get a Quest version too, only games bought on an Oculus store count for cross buy.

Link Cable

The Link cable changes some of the above, to a degree.
The Link cable lets a Quest connect to a PC. It effectively turns the Quest into a Rift. This means it now runs PC Rift games. It can play anything a Rift can, including games from Steam or Epic Game Store. It works by streaming video over the USB Link cable to the Quest, and sending back the tracking data. At least for now it's a lower quality option than running natively, its like watching a game streamed on Twitch, there can be video compression artifacts and latency. Some people notice the issues more than others.
Any USB cable (with USB-C on one end) should work for Link, but there's an official Link cable which is rather expensive, but it's an active 5m fibre-optic cable, which is always expensive. Getting a 5m cheaper cable that works is tricky, most USB3 cables max out at 3m.

Virtual Desktop

Virtual Desktop works like Link, but uses Wifi instead of a USB cable. It also streams Rift games to the Quest. You need to buy the Quest version of Virtual Desktop if you want to stream PC games to the Quest. The PC version of Virtual Desktop is different.
I've never used Virtual Desktop, so I can't say too much about how well it works.

Revive

Revive is a third party program that lets other VR headsets (Index, Vive, Reverb, etc) impersonate a Rift and play games from the Rift store. This isn't guaranteed to work for all games, some have issues and don't work. But it does at least give a chance to not waste your whole library if you move to a non-Oculus headset.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
36 REPLIES 36

kojack
MVP
MVP

DTH said:

Are they going to stop making games for my Rift S anytime soon?

Since they are pushing Link as an advertised feature, it requires there to be a steady stream of PC VR games for it to be worth the effort. So Rift-S should have new things. Although if developers stop making PC versions and just do Quest, there will still be all the SteamVR games made for Index/Reverb/Vive/Pimax that will run on the Rift-S.

4) ADDED I don't suppose there is a way to get the games I bought on the Steam store to be "cross play" available with my Quest 2?  I own Doctor Who: Edge Of Time, Creed, and maybe a couple others that might be available on BOTH had only bought them through the Oculus app and not Steam.  😞

No prob.

Cross Play is possible, maybe. It depends on the game.
Both Steam and Oculus provide libraries for joining multiplayer games, friends lists, etc. But those aren't compatible. Same for leaderboards. I have a co-worker with a rift as a friend in the oculus software. He has beatsaber from Steam. I have beatsaber from oculus. I can't see his scores because beatsaber used the oculus and steam libraries.
Games like Rec Room should work though. They have their own login system, I'm pretty sure they will work (not 100%). VRChat definitely is cross play. Elite Dangerous too, it runs its own servers and accounts.
I generally don't play multiplayer vr games, so I'm not sure.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

dwbrn
Honored Guest
I have a Rift I don't use anymore.  But that account has games on it.  I bought a new Quest 2 and forgot I already had an account and made a new account and merged it with Facebook.  Is there any way I can merge the Rift account in with the new one?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

dwbrn said:

I have a Rift I don't use anymore.  But that account has games on it.  I bought a new Quest 2 and forgot I already had an account and made a new account and merged it with Facebook.  Is there any way I can merge the Rift account in with the new one?

That’s something you’ll need Oculus support to fix for you. You can open a support ticket here. In the meantime, I would avoid buying any games on the new account, because I’m not sure whether they can merge both together or just switch to the old one. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Dovahkiin74
Explorer
I just want to return my quest 2 and support won't help.

kojack
MVP
MVP

I just want to return my quest 2 and support won't help.

You'll need to use the ticketing system nalex66 mentioned just above, that's where issues like returns can be handled.

JoshuaJSlone
Expert Protege

nalex66 said:

Edit: I was just going through my library, and found that I can't switch to my
Go library in the Quest 2. I have Daedalus installed on my Quest 1, and
can switch to my Go library there and launch it, but on my Quest 2 the
dropdown to switch libraries is missing. Thought maybe I could install
it through the phone app, but there is no option there to install it.

The reason I came to the forums today was because this is how it is for me, too. I was hoping it was something that would just update itself in the background or during a reboot, but it hasn't yet. Does anyone out there see the Go/GearVR option in Quest 2?

PhotonCatcher
Honored Guest
Some of my Go games work on my Quest 1. But my Quest 2 doesn't seem to have the ability to play the Go games that work on the Quest 1.  Will this be available in a future release?

A10Pilot
Protege

Some of my Go games work on my Quest 1. But my Quest 2 doesn't seem to have the ability to play the Go games that work on the Quest 1.  Will this be available in a future release?

CTO John Carmack stated that GO backwards compatibility was terminated for Quest 2. Sorry 😞

kojack
MVP
MVP
Hmm, yep, Carmack tweeted this about Oculus Go compatibility on the Quest 2:
Support was remove on Quest 2. I totally lost the internal debate over backwards compatibility.

JoshuaJSlone
Expert Protege
Take something already working and remove it, with the only people affected being customers who have bought multiple generations of your headsets. Good plan.