cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official link cable drain battery.

PierpaoloOb
Explorer
Hi guys I'm having an issue with the quest 2 connected with the original oculus link through USB C port. Basically it was still draining battery and after around 3 hours was at 15%.
Do you know if it's normal?
Thank you!
105 REPLIES 105

enigma01
Trustee
I’ve just tested with mine and it’s the same for me too. Battery level was 81% at start, played Stormland for a about 30 mins and battery had dropped to 69%

I have it connected to my USB C port on my Acer Triton 500, it would keep my Quest 1 fully charged whilst gaming. 

MerlinStWahgwaa
Expert Protege

The 10 watt to 15w was a few cents in cost savings.  To most users this is a non issue, to some they are overthinking it.

Ummm, its not a non issue if you know how powerd/electrical devices work. If it requires 15w but you give it 10w, that can and will cause damage to components over usage and time. 

Edit: Think of it this way, sure, turned off, the 10w charger makes no difference.  You could charge from a 2w charger with the unit off, it would just take longer to charge.
BUT how about your cell phone? Wouldn't you be upset if your brand new cell phone, came with a lower wattage charger than required to run the device powered on, and could ONLY be charged while turned off? And that having it turned on and using it to say, check your email or watch YouTube, would not allow the battery to continue charging, but in fact would allow it to discharge, while still plugged in...?

For vr i really can't really play past 2 hrs just from comfort standpoint.  So just wait for bit and they will start optimizing the quest 2 for real world usage.

Lool..2hrs... really? Umm... I play in over 6 hour sessions in VR quite often, I love Elite Dangerous, and if I cant do that with a WIRED connection because my internal battery is dying when it should be charging, thats a serious issue for a brand new device that was DESIGNED to do exactly that. And considering the Q1 worked and still works PERFECTLY to keep the device charged while using Link, and this device is litterally the same with some slightly new hardware, but identical enough, there is no excuse for the batteries to be draining while using Link.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

My headset does not stay charged on the elite battery strap either....

Both the headset and external battery drop, at uneven rates as well.... but the headset is always at a lower battery level. Especially after about 1 hour of game play, installing games, and playing with settings without any removal of the headset from my face.

I do agree the battery drop is much less with the headset connected to the Link cable, or the elite battery strap, but neither of them keep the headset at 100%, or even above 80%.

That's interesting. I took my comments on the Elite battery strap from the UploadVR review. He says he played until the extended battery was depleted (about 3 hours) and he still had 75% in the headset battery.

I plan to spend more time playing over Link this weekend, so I'll see how it goes for longer play sessions. If the unit can't be powered externally to extend playtime, that's a bit of a downer. Of course, battery management could always be tweaked with firmware revisions in future updates.

Edit: According to this support article, the Elite battery strap should be used up first before the headset's internal battery gets used.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MerlinStWahgwaa
Expert Protege
I'm going to give standalone Beat Saber and Vader Immortal E1, a good 1-2 hour session later today, with the elite battery strap and headset starting from 100%, unplugged from all cables... see what happens...

I already have them installed, and downloaded my Imagine Dragons pack of songs, so I should good to play offline/solo, but the device will still be on my wifi and signed in ect....

I'll come back after I try this session and post my results as well....

I'll try Elite Dangerous SteamVR with my Link cable tomorrow, Saturday, and see what happens with that too....

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've read some comments on Reddit that once the Quest battery is down to 78%, the charging circuit kicks in at a higher rate and the battery charge stops dropping, but it doesn't gain charge. In my testing last night on Link and today with my powerbank, I was above 80% the whole time. It will be interesting to see what happens with longer play sessions.

enigma01
Trustee

nalex66 said:

I've read some comments on Reddit that once the Quest battery is down to 78%, the charging circuit kicks in at a higher rate and the battery charge stops dropping, but it doesn't gain charge. In my testing last night on Link and today with my powerbank, I was above 80% the whole time. It will be interesting to see what happens with longer play sessions.

But I started at 81% and dropped to 69%? I’ll try some more over the weekend too from fully charged for longer session and see what happens then. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

enigma01 said:

nalex66 said:

But I started at 81% and dropped to 69%? I’ll try some more over the weekend too from fully charged for longer session and see what happens then. 

I can't vouch for the statement, just relaying what I had read. I'll do my own testing this weekend and see what my unit does.

I also saw a post that said Quest 2 is designed to not charge while in use. I could live with that if it would at least run entirely on external power and not deplete the battery when there is adequate external power available.

nalex66 said:
Edit: According to this support article, the Elite battery strap should be used up first before the headset's internal battery gets used.

I wonder if that wording is misleading and needs one word added.... strap battery gets used up before the internal battery get used up. So they both drain but strap runs out first.

Maybe it's a result of tests to limit overcooking the internal battery. Putting a limit on the charge in order to extend the life... or reduces risk of overheating.

I assume this isn't an issue when using Link to run PCVR? has that been mentioned already? I haven't read the whole thread.

Edit: the OP mentions Link but was that running PCVR or just to charge whilst playing Quest games?

nalex66
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

I wonder if that wording is misleading and needs one word added.... strap battery gets used up before the internal battery get used up. So they both drain but strap runs out first.

Maybe it's a result of tests to limit overcooking the internal battery. Putting a limit on the charge in order to extend the life... or reduces risk of overheating.

I assume this isn't an issue when using Link to run PCVR? has that been mentioned already? I haven't read the whole thread.

The actual wording is “Your Quest 2 will use up all of the charge in the Elite Strap With Battery before it starts to use up the internal battery.”

Even with Link and a 15W USB C port, the battery drains slowly (perhaps at half the rate of running on battery alone). I hope to test this weekend whether it keeps draining at the same rate all the way down.

And that's Link running PCVR games, not just Link cable charging during Quest gaming?
That's surprising as the XR2 should be lightly loaded.