cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feels like I'm in VR even though I am not

JohnForrester
Honored Guest
I got my VR Headset about 2 days ago and after playing yesterday for a few hours I noticed this feeling with my hands where they don't feel like mine and it just looks and feels very weird. I especially notice it when I am typing on my keyboard I actually miss keys sometimes or if I'm trying to press 'A' key I will bring my finger to the 'S' key instead and then it feels inverted where I bring my finger to far to the left or right when trying to click a certain key. Also my proception is not right I can't touch the tip of my nose correctly when my eyes are closed. I've been feeling this way about 24 hours now, I am starting to feel concerned at this point.
18 REPLIES 18

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
I think a lot of people get similar feelings after using VR for the first time. The symptoms should stop soon and as you use VR more you'll have this issue less and less.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
You see the world upside down. As a old man I feel this all the time. Vr is for old people.

Quickdraw_Og
Protege
This might be worth reading; 

Virtual Reality Induces Dissociation and Lowers Sense of Presence in Objective Reality https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20712501/

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

This might be worth reading; 
Virtual reality induces dissociation and lowers sense of presence in objective reality
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20712501/

I would say that this applies more to Smart Phones than VR.

0m3irrps4b4k.png

KillaJamm
Explorer
I've been using it for 2 days now as well, I felt a bit disconnected after my first few hours like with my hands and that but after a few more sessions with the headset it's gone away, if it persists maybe speak to your GP. 

JohnForrester
Honored Guest

Tadin said:

I think a lot of people get similar feelings after using VR for the first time. The symptoms should stop soon and as you use VR more you'll have this issue less and less.

It's about to be 48 hour straight with this feeling, will this pass soon or should I consider consulting my physician?

Maestronomic
Protege
Relax. It will pass. I had a similar experience after playing a long session a couple of years ago. It was my first time in vr and i was literally out for a whole day after. After that my hands felt weird as if they were of the wrong size etc. My mind felt drifting as if it was somewhere else. I could not even walk properly without feeling dizzy for about 24 hours.
Just take it easy with th vr in the beginning. You'll be fine!
Take a couple of walks outside and focus on nature. Get back to reality and the get back into the virtual one. Then try something less intense in vr and work yourself upwards.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

KillaJamm said:

I've been using it for 2 days now as well, I felt a bit disconnected after my first few hours like with my hands and that but after a few more sessions with the headset it's gone away, if it persists maybe speak to your GP. 

Agreed, if it doesn't pass rather quickly, it may be something unrelated to VR. Several days do seem like a rather long time if symptoms are pronounced. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

DangerousDanH
Protege
Ha ha yes I had this too! I'd forgotten about it.

For the first few days of using VR I felt like I was still in it, and I would have strange dreams as well.

Its all back to normal now...........or is it??