cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You will need to think out of the square on solving this issue.

knotsberry_ande
Explorer
To the community and the developers i need you to think out of the square to try and solve this problem i have. I am a disabled gamer and have several disability's from birth. I am thinking of purchasing Quest 2. However my right hand is deformed. So i would be only able to use one hand controller which would be on my right hand and i would use my good left hand to press the buttons on the right. But i wouldn't be able to use the left hand controller as i wouldn't be able to press the buttons with the right hand. So you can really see the difficulty i would have.

The only solution i can find is if Oculus combined both controllers into one and then had a sensor on the other arm for movement and motion. I was hoping that the community and the devs may have another solution to this problem thinking out of the square. I am sure a solution can be found thinking out of the square.

Thank you for your assistance.
13 REPLIES 13

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Take a look at knuckle grips anti throw covershttps://www.amazon.com/Linkstyle-Controller-Compatible-Oculus-Controllers/dp/B083V2WTSL/ref=mp_s_a_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=anti+throw+oculus+touch&qid=1602891351&sr=8-21 and then you can slightly modify

Richooal
Consultant
I'm not sure I understand the problem correctly.

If your left hand is "good", why can't you hold the left controller in the left hand using it's buttons and triggers with the left hand's fingers and thumb?

Many games and apps often only use one controller and allow you to select which one.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

knotsberry_ande
Explorer
Thank you for your reply Matthew, the Knuckle grips wont work either i have to be able to press the buttons with my right hand which would be very difficult to do and also i may not be able to reach it as my arm is shorter. My hand is bent 100 degrees with 3 fingers and one thumb. Fingers very small and narrow my arm compared to a normal arm is very narrow.

knotsberry_ande
Explorer

Richooal said:

If your left hand is "good", why can't you hold the left controller in the left hand using it's buttons and triggers with the left hand's fingers and thumb?

Many games and apps often only use one controller and allow you to select which one.

I can use the left one but i wouldn't be able to use the right controller. Wouldn't most games require two controllers? Even if games do need two controllers could i get away with just using one.

Richooal
Consultant

Richooal said:

I can use the left one but i wouldn't be able to use the right controller. Wouldn't most games require two controllers? Even if games do need two controllers could i get away with just using one.

I would say "many" games use one controller almost exclusively (but not all). There are games for example which would allow you to choose the left controller as your main controller, with all it's triggers and buttons. With the right hand, if you can do a "pointing" movement with your figure, then that is often enough. The virtual finger can be used to press switches, push buttons, etc.
The controllers are deliberately mirrored so they can be used for left or right handed people. Sure there are games/apps which require 2 hands, but I really believe you would find enough content to make it worthwhile, and the wow factor is amazing.

PS: I said that the controllers were mirrored, but each controller has a dedicated button. The left has a "menu" button, the right has an "Oculus" button. On the odd occasions you need it, you can press the Oculus button with your left hand.

What sort of content interests you? Google Earth VR keeps me interested for hours at a time (one hand required), Epic Roller Coasters is one handed too.

knotsberry_ande
Explorer
ETS2 you don't need any hands at all apart from the steering wheel which dosent cause me problems. ETS2 is the main reason i would like to purchased it. But there maybe other games too. I also can only use one eye as the other wanders because of this it may cause a problem. Though i did contact one of the devs when the first Oculus came out. He said they had a person who only had use of one eye and he able to view it well. I guess the only thing i can do is buy and if it dosent work out for me i will return it. So i can only try it.

Richooal
Consultant
There is someone who is still active on this forum who has vision in only one eye. I can't remember his name though.

I would strongly suggest you buy and try, so I suppose Amazon would give the least problem for returns if necessary?

knotsberry_ande
Explorer

Richooal said:

There is someone who is still active on this forum who has vision in only one eye. I can't remember his name though.

I would strongly suggest you buy and try, so I suppose Amazon would give the least problem for returns if necessary?

Oculus will do a refund if necessary. I think they have a trial period too.

Richooal
Consultant

Richooal said:

Oculus will do a refund if necessary. I think they have a trial period too.

Whilst that is true, they are typically very slow. With current demand they will be slower. Either way, I suspect you won't be returning. 🙂