cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don’t use you quest rite away

dc2889
Expert Protege
Don’t use your quest  right away put it on the charger let it charge you 100% and don’t let it go under 10% of battery life my headset went under 10% of battery life and would not charge with the oculus quest charger I tried everything but no luck the only solution I had was to use a different charger that had a higher amperage and voltage don’t let your excitement be the death of your quest 
9 REPLIES 9

Good advice.

I always charge a new device but this instruction should be included in the little set-up guide. Particularly as a lot of people either won't have another high output charger with a USB-C connection or a USB to USB-C cable.

The Oculus charger is rated for 3 amps according to the label which is quite high. Quick charging phone chargers tend to be around the 2A rating and my tablet (which I thought was my highest output charger) is rated for 1.5A.

Edit: I'm wondering if there's charging protection circuitry in the Oculus charger itself that would have caused your problem rather than in the headset. Just a thought.

enigma01
Trustee

dc2889 said:

Don’t use your quest  right away put it on the charger let it charge you 100%

Received my Quest today and the first thing I did was put it on charge, not even powered it on yet. Now been charging for just over 2 hours and the LED is still amber? I have read full charge should take around 1 hour 45 mins from 5% on a review somewhere, the battery can't have been that depleted when I received it? 

Lujho
Expert Protege

enigma01 said:

dc2889 said:

Don’t use your quest  right away put it on the charger let it charge you 100%

Received my Quest today and the first thing I did was put it on charge, not even powered it on yet. Now been charging for just over 2 hours and the LED is still amber? I have read full charge should take around 1 hour 45 mins from 5% on a review somewhere, the battery can't have been that depleted when I received it? 

You can see how charged it is when charging by tapping (not holding) the power button - an indicator will appear in the headset for a second. 

enigma01
Trustee

Lujho said:

You can see how charged it is when charging by tapping (not holding) the power button - an indicator will appear in the headset for a second. 

Okay, cool thanks for that info! LED has literally just turned green as reading your post though! 

jab
Rising Star

The Oculus charger is rated for 3 amps according to the label which is quite high. Quick charging phone chargers tend to be around the 2A rating and my tablet (which I thought was my highest output charger) is rated for 1.5A.

You need both voltage and amperage to know how many watts (W=V*A) your charger can deliver. Your quick charger is probably 9V/2A (18W). So if the Quest charger is 5V(?) and 3A it will still be less (15W) then the 2A charger.

And using a weaker charger is not harmfull. It only means the charge will take longer, and your battery will thank you for that in the long run. Anything else like refusing to take a charge, means there is a fault in the Quest charging logic as you mentioned.

jab said:

You need both voltage and amperage to know how many watts (W=V*A) your charger can deliver. Your quick charger is probably 9V/2A (18W). So if the Quest charger is 5V(?) and 3A it will still be less (15W) then the 2A charger.

And using a weaker charger is not harmfull. It only means the charge will take longer, and your battery will thank you for that in the long run. Anything else like refusing to take a charge, means there is a fault in the Quest charging logic as you mentioned.

You do indeed need both voltage and current to arrive at power. I'm really just talking USB chargers here though & unless I'm mistaken all USB chargers are 5V, so power is just a factor of the charger's current rating, indeed USB chargers tend to just state the 5V and then the current rating. I guess that's because electrical engineers tend to focus on current rather than power as current is what has the major effect on component size, particularly cable size and voltage drops over cable lengths.

The reason I mentioned that the Oculus charger has a high rating is because the OP said using another charger cured the problem of getting the headset to charge so this tells me the problem probably isn't that the Oculus charger is being called to do too much.

It may be that the OPs Oculus charger has faulty regulation. Well just guessing.

InfinitR
Protege
Just made another thread about charging solution that may work for you fyi. I had a situation where I couldn't charge, but found how to fix it..

Darcsyde
Protege
Quick Quest(ion)... I have a MacBook Pro charger (USB-C to USB-C) I wonder if that will be ok to charge my headset (Quest 2)... The cord seems to work for Link as well (although the speed isn't optimal)