cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed With Headphone Implementation

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
The built-in headphones are a significant upgrade from the Quest, but I am frustrated at the lack of a decent solution for external headphones. Strapping two devices to your head is definitely a step backwards. I have the official Oculus headphones for my Quest and they are decent and make easy to take the headset on and off.

I have come up with a solution for my Quest 2 that works, it is another kludge. 

Why can't I have an out-of-the-box solution that doesn't make me feel like that poor kid in high school that had black tape on his glasses?

This is a second generation product. It should either come with a decent solution or have an add on that makes it feel like it is designed for the product.

rjuxzi2jbd50.jpg

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

28 REPLIES 28

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
The Elite strap + Over ear headphones implementation looks flawed to me. Surely you can't get the headphones against your head above your ears since the rigid strap is in the way. Therefore you're not going to get a seal and your bass response will suffer, not to mention sound isolation from the outside world.

I've used over ear headphones with the included strap and it just about works ok but the plastic arm does cause issues, I can only imagine what it's like with the full rigid arm of the Elite.

Or can you get the arm high enough that the top of the cup fits between the arm and top of the ears?
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech

enigma01
Trustee
@"oliver.jp" Sure the strap gets in the way a little prevents a full tight seal. Still sounds way better than on ear or in ear buds. 

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I bought some AKG headphones after being recommended by someone on this forum - for Quest, they fit very well and the sound is easily good enough for gaming, even though they weren't expensive.

Now I can use them in total comfort with the Quest 2 - the seal over the ear is just fine, no gaps and no discomfort, the lead goes along the headset and down my back, where excess length is coiled in my back pocket.

Yes, I do need to remember the headphones are there before taking off the Quest, and this is the only downer - but the two come off or lift up as a unit without any problem.
** with the elite strap fitted

qd1b22v5cbep.jpg

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Got some more pics - unfortunately the Mrs is at work, so I'm having to take the photo's 'blind' - but you can see the ear cup easily fits under the elite strap - and you can in fact lift the headset like a visor as you see my handsome, friendly face in the last pic! 🙂

0pesfbz652hs.jpg

r9avzxybstrd.jpg

i6sb95eux3a8.jpg

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
lol, thanks for your pics and loving the extra padding at the back! It looks like the back might be sitting a bit high but I guess if it's comfortable and secure then that doesn't matter.

I don't know why I'm worrying about this, I have plenty of decent on-ear, over ear and earbuds so I'm sure I can find something that works! It just looks like a bit of an oversight and a curved arm similar the Rift would be better. I do however realise the Elite strap has the back lower loop that goes down quite low, plus the arms seem to attach slightly higher than the Rift so that curved arm probably isn't needed as the whole arm is higher.

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
I have tried my AKG headphones with Quest 2. They sound great, but the wire length is just too long. I had to wrap the wire to the back and around my arm. With the link cable attached, it becomes a mess to take the headset off easily.

I will have to design a wire loom attachment to the headset to use my AKG headset with Quest 2.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
Higher end headphones, especially bluetooth tend to have a standard, fully detachable, 3.5mm cable. You can easily get short ones online. Not sure what the best length would be and will also depend which side your headset plugs in. 10cm 20cm and 30cm/1ft cables would probably be the right sizes to try. I have a pair that take a 3.5mm to 2.5mm, cables aren't as readily available but they do exist.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well, as I said in my post, I usually have it going back along the side of the strap (looped over the ear foam, though it isn't in the photos as I just put it on for that) and going down my back where the excess is coiled in my back pocket. I found this was the best way to keep it out of the way. When I put it in the front pocket I was always concerned I'd catch it when moving my hands - not a good feeling when you're trying to get immersed.

I do wish I could get some with a short lead, though - I would do it myself if modern wires weren't so damn hard to work with. I'm looking at bluetooth ones like this

but according to YT vids I've watched, the BT audio is still buggy and doesn't work in many apps.I'll be keeping an eye on that and getting some straight away if the BT improves.

**edit - in fact I've just ordered those ones linked to. I'll test them with Quest 2 stuff, but for my wireless PCVR I'll use them connected to the PC audio.

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
I have quite a few bluetooth headsets, haven't tried any of them yet with the Quest 2, I just assumed the lag would be too great for games and I don't know if the Quest would delay videos/movies to sync A/V in the same way phones do. Some games it may be fine for though, where lag doesn't matter. I've spent too long setting up cinema receivers and setting audio delay so I'm personally a bit sensitive if they're out of sync.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I had a hell of a job getting a BT soundbar for my TV - latency was awful. Finally did get one - took a chance on one at Amazon, based entirely on customer reviews - wasn't even expensive (about £100) and has a very nice 80W output. It's been great on 2 different TVs now, so I think it's been well worth the money.
Cas mentioned latency in her video covering this as well. Of course, that would be an insta-kill for VR.