cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 keeps losing 5GHz wifi! Keeps disconnecting

cbcharlee
Honored Guest
After a while of use, my Quest 2 will all of a sudden say it's not connected anymore, and when I go to wifi, all the 5GHz networks are now missing!  I then only see the 2.4GHz networks.  A reboot fixes this but it's happened over 3 times now.  Is this a known issue?  Is there any fix or anything I can try? I want to use 5GHz wifi!

145 REPLIES 145

bbellhouse4907
Explorer
I too have have this issue; however, it seems to only happen when it is plugged in to power like the AC charging adapter or the Elite Battery Strap when the head set hits 100% charge it disconnects from the 5ghz network and will only show 2.4Ghz networks even when turning wireless off and back on, only a reboot of the HMD fixes it.  This does not happen on my Quest 1.  I have an ASUS RT-AC87U dual band router with different SSIDS on the two networks, I have even assigned a static IP address to the Quest to see if that would help, but no luck.

NGUDeathmate
Protege
I've been having a plethora of wifi issues ever since the first update installed during initial setup.
At first it could see all networks easily, after that update, it could sometimes see them all, then every single network in the list would disappear. I've made sure the router (D-Link  DSL-3900) has different names for 2.4 and 5 ghz, even tried turning off 2.4 but no dice)

The only fix i've found is to turn OFF my router, restart my quest, connect it to my phones hotspot, and download games that way. Whenever the router wifi is live,the quest cannot see any wireless networks. It's the strangest thing.

eric_pommer
Explorer
Add me to the list of wifi problems.  Can't get it to stay connected for more than a couple minutes, after which it says it can't detect any networks.  A hard reboot solves the problem, but it comes back again after another minute or two.

mattmeticulous
Explorer
I have this issue too. After my Quest 2 sleeps long enough to disconnect itself from WiFi (>30 min), I can no longer see any 5GHz WiFi signals. I can still see all 5GHz networks (across more than one router) on my phone and can still see all 2.4 GHz signals from the same router on my Quest 2. Restarting the Quest is the only way to solve. This happens every time the Quest is put to sleep for >30 minutes.

jason.yee2
Explorer
Same issue with my D-Link  DSL-3900. 2.4/5Ghz Smart Connect is enabled, but looks like other people have tried troubleshooting those settings. Disconnects after a few minutes and then I can see no wifi at all. Rebooting Quest 2 connects again, but not long enough to download anything.

Quest 1 has no issues.

I did the initial setup of my Quest 2 at work which has Netgear wifi. Was able to download most of my library fine with that.

I logged a support ticket, so hopefully they just tell me that it is fixed an imminent firmware update release. The only issue will be downloading it!

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is driving me insane.  Considering sending back my Quest 2 - I have raised a support ticket and tried lots of things to resolve.  I have an Orbi mesh wifi setup that works perfectly for the many devices I have connected - Android, iOS, PCs, smart stuff.  When I connect I can't see network drives and the connection is terrible.  I have tried a using an old Telstra Router as a Wifi hotspot but that didn't seem to help either.  I'm wondering if it's actually the wifi or something about how my network is configured or devices on it that the Quest 2 takes issue with - very hard to diagnose.
I set up one of my PCs with a 5Ghz wifi hotspot - this allows internet access and doesn't have the same issues as my primary wifi - but it doesn't allow me to see my network to watch movies, stream to Chromecasts etc. - which I would like to be able to do!
Have also tried....
  • Various different wifi channels - to reduce congestion
  • Wifi bands
  • Using the Swifi app on Sidequest
I'd be willing to upgrade my whole wifi network to AX if I was certain that this would fix the issue - but without knowing what is really going wrong - I can't see myself forking out for new wifi for the house.

jason.yee2
Explorer
Did anyone get any support for this? They don't seem very helpful, but maybe I got the facebook support team.

This is what I got -

"Thank you for reaching us
at Oculus Support.

We are glad to know that you had no problem wit your Quest 1 in connecting to
5GHz. I'd be happy to assist you today.

However regarding with your question, you will be notified if ever there would
be any software updates that will support the 5GHz Wi-Fi connection.

If you need more assistance, please reach us back.
Thank you for reaching us
at Oculus Support.

We are glad to know that you had no problem wit your Quest 1 in connecting to
5GHz. I'd be happy to assist you today.

However regarding with your question, you will be notified if ever there would
be any software updates that will support the 5GHz Wi-Fi connection.

If you need more assistance, please reach us back."

paesan
Expert Protege

Same issue with my D-Link  DSL-3900. 2.4/5Ghz Smart Connect is enabled, but looks like other people have tried troubleshooting those settings. Disconnects after a few minutes and then I can see no wifi at all. Rebooting Quest 2 connects again, but not long enough to download anything.

Quest 1 has no issues.

I did the initial setup of my Quest 2 at work which has Netgear wifi. Was able to download most of my library fine with that.

I logged a support ticket, so hopefully they just tell me that it is fixed an imminent firmware update release. The only issue will be downloading it!

I see in your comment you use smart connect, I have the Netgear RAX80, and I find that feature causes problems. You have a good router, I would try disabling smart connect. I am not having any issues with my Netgear, I don't use smart connect because many people in the Netgear forums reported it caused more problems. 
Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch | StarTech 4 port PCI Express USB 3 - 5Gbps

wobblyrampack
Explorer
@cbcharlee  Same here, I thought I was the only one!

My Quest 2 loses the 5ghz wifi connection after a period of time, then the 5ghz SSID is no longer visible in the list of available wifi networks (the 2.4ghz wifi remains but I dont connect to that one ever).

I thought it seemed to happen most often when it has just finished charging but I can't be sure. 

I've experimented with my router wifi settings as much as I can but nothing seems to change it. Only a restart of the headset brings the 5ghz wifi back. No other devices suffer from this disconnect problem.

Should I raise a ticket with Oculus support? I really don't want to return the device, it's brilliant in every other regard.

jason.yee2
Explorer

paesan said:

I see in your comment you use smart connect, I have the Netgear RAX80, and I find that feature causes problems. You have a good router, I would try disabling smart connect. I am not having any issues with my Netgear, I don't use smart connect because many people in the Netgear forums reported it caused more problems. 

Thanks for your suggestion! I disabled smart connect. Unfortunately, I had the same issue where wifi disconnects and all wifi networks disappear after a few minutes or if I put it sleep. However, I decided to just try 2.4GHz network. That has been stable, so I can use that for low bandwidth retro activities.

My PC is wired, so currently I can use that to create a wifi 6 hotspot for the quest 2 when I am using virtual desktop. 

Hopefully, Oculus will confirm there is an issue with some routers and will have a fix soon, before I just bite the bullet and buy a wifi 6 router.