cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed With Headphone Implementation

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
The built-in headphones are a significant upgrade from the Quest, but I am frustrated at the lack of a decent solution for external headphones. Strapping two devices to your head is definitely a step backwards. I have the official Oculus headphones for my Quest and they are decent and make easy to take the headset on and off.

I have come up with a solution for my Quest 2 that works, it is another kludge. 

Why can't I have an out-of-the-box solution that doesn't make me feel like that poor kid in high school that had black tape on his glasses?

This is a second generation product. It should either come with a decent solution or have an add on that makes it feel like it is designed for the product.

rjuxzi2jbd50.jpg

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

28 REPLIES 28

enigma01
Trustee
I’ve tried several BT headphones and my BT Bose Soundbar with both Quest 1 and 2, latency was awful, it also caused Beat Saber to have unplayable frame rate lag. 

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
I'm afraid I just tried 5 pairs of bluetooth headsets. All of them had about 100-300ms of latency in video and 500-700ms in games, well I'm assuming all games but tested with Skybox VR for video and Tetris Effect:
  • AirPods 2
  • Jabra Elite 75t
  • Bose Sport Earbuds
  • Bose NC700
  • Sony WH-1000XM4
I can't say I'm surprised. There may be video apps that could delay the video and therefore sync. but for games that isn't possible.

I think I'm correct in saying Sony were able to achieve zero lag with audio through their controllers which I believe are bluetooth, so why we don't see it in other devices nowadays I don't know. (I know the controls are sent over bluetooth, but I don't know how the PlayStation sends data/audio back to the controller)
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

soundnest said:

honestly if its that annoying just get some wire cutters and shorten your cable to the perfect length, get a soldering iron and a $1 headphone jack and solder it yourself

I certainly can do that. But my point is that I would really like a complete product from the start without having to mod it. Or at least well designed upgrades and add-ons (the Elite Strap is an example of this done well.)

I doubt you would tell me if my food came out cold at a restaurant to just go put it in the microwave.

My CV1 had no mods and worked just great from day 1. No product that Oculus has made since has been a straight update from that. Everything has been better in some way and worse in some other.

I am not a naysayer, I am firmly in the Oculus system, but I am also neither a fanboy nor apologist.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
I do agree that it doesn't feel complete as an all in one system without a decent audio solution. I'm sure they have it in the works. It appears to be their pricing strategy to release the headset itself super cheap and make it back with accessories. I'm sure it's in the works and may have even been on the schedule for release at the same time as the headset but held back is it's not deemed critical, especially as most of us have headphones we can use anyway. They could have included some sort of cable management even if it was just a couple of velcro ties!
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Have you guys tried soldering current audio device leads? I was a radio technician by trade and I find it a real ballsache. Modern 'wires' are super thin and sometimes even just foil is used. It's extremely difficult to do - insulation is now also a completely different ballgame, being fused onto the wire.
I usually make my own controller boxes for flight and driving sims, and I tried to modify the internal of gamepads, using their controller chips to do all the work rather than purchasing a controller board as I used to, and the more recent ones were a complete nightmare for the same reason as the earphones have been.

edit: having said that, if you use your own wire from speaker to plug, you could get decent results.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

MADMAXMARVIN1
Honored Guest
I'm also disappointed with the lack of headphone implementation and don't understand why Oculus/Facebook couldn't have given us options with the likes of the Elite strap, such as the very decent sounding integrated headphones that come with the HTC Vive Deluxe audio strap (would be great to have the option of extended integrated battery + decent integrated on-ear headphones).

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
Yeah, I use my in ear monitors (pretty expensive, but I had them from performing music before COVID...) and while they sound great, it for sure isn’t the most convenient situation. The link, then the headphones, etc. 

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
I agree.  Even with the quest 1 they just kind of left you on your own for any kind of cable management.  Personally I think they should have spent another 10 cents or so per headset and included some kind of cable management clip that fits somewhere on the headset.  Everyone who has this HMD will deal with wires and you can't tell me that a USB C port is designed to have a long, somewhat heavy cable flopping around when you're using link.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I finally decided to upgrade and get the DAS. This is the solution. Much more comfortable than the Elite Strap and headphones are pretty good. Not quite as good as CV1, but gets the job done.
ql2mesfopdm8.jpg