cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

First results with 3080 vs 2080 Ti using Index 120 Hz:

urc1ztzab3qq.png

Not sure what happened with that single 1080 lol. The 3080 owner mentioned getting 115 fps average in Alyx compared to 118-119 using 2080 Ti, so clearly Alyx or SteamVR - or Nvidia's drivers - needs an update. 

That 1080 and the Ryzen 7 seem to be producing some form of magic going by the benchmark scores. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

OmegaM4N said:

RuneSR2 said:

First results with 3080 vs 2080 Ti using Index 120 Hz:

urc1ztzab3qq.png

Not sure what happened with that single 1080 lol. The 3080 owner mentioned getting 115 fps average in Alyx compared to 118-119 using 2080 Ti, so clearly Alyx or SteamVR - or Nvidia's drivers - needs an update. 

That 1080 and the Ryzen 7 seem to be producing some form of magic going by the benchmark scores. lol

Must be the GTX 1080 ghost in the machine, lol - remaining 2080 Ti scores look legit though. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The maybe most awesome sword fighting VR "sim" just got even better!  ❤️ Simply looks beyond awesome! (Note that the game did work before with the Index and Index controllers, but did not have have full support including finger tracking.)

https://youtu.be/G3W52au8NOA

Hello, our dear friends! We're glad to present you the first major update of Hellsplit: Arena, where we tried to consider the most important remarks and suggestions you shared with us, as well as implement long-promised functions, including Valve Index support, Half-Swording and many others. Below you'll find the complete change log:

• Universal auto-calibration added
  • Manual calibration removed
  • Hands IK added
  • More accurate control system of shoulder and elbow joints added
  • Pelvis moving backward (while squatting) added
  • Camera behavior while head bending improved
  • Jumps are added

Control system
  • Valve Index сontroller support added
  • Universal control configuration on all controllers is added

Settings
  • Rendering Scale setting is added
  • Rotation speed option is added
  • Rotation angle option is added

Gameplay
  • Half-swording is added
  • Interaction with static environment improved
  • Grabbing of all interactive objects improved
  • Grabbing of enemies improved
  • The possibility to pull the weapon is added
  • Shield bashes improved
  • Stabbing of enemies improved
  • Stabbing with weapon in the environmental objects is added
  • New interactive environmental objects are added
  • The possibility to stab zombie's neck in a closed helmet is added

Graphics
  • Lighting in “Bar” location improved
  • Lighting in “Snow Ruins” location improved
  • Lighting in “Tomb of Heroes” location improved
  • Lighting in “Torture” location improved
  • Fruits visual effects improved
  • Locations of “Arena”-campaign improved
  • Kick wounds are added
  • Lighting of hands skeleton improved

Arenas
  • "Fort" training arena is added
  • Lighting variations of "Cemetery"-arena are added

System
  • New engine version (UE 4.24)
  • FPS stability is improved
  • The game loading time is improved

We thank you for supporting us, playing our game and giving us advice on how to improve it. This update is just the tip of the iceberg and the very first part of the extensive work planned by our small team and aimed to reforming and improvement of our game. Welcome to our Discord, where every two weeks we post the latest news about our game's development! Thank you for being with us!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

emelyb
Explorer
Wow. Awesome spec effects.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

emelyb said:

The game really is awesome. You now have full finger tracking and in-game super sampling finally works. Due to the Unreal-engine, SteamVR res has no effect, only the in-game slider works.

Made the usual error of starting the game wearing a sweater - shorts and a tshirt are the only clothes recommended, because you easily sweat a lot in this game, lol. 

Visually the game is very impressive, even using in-game res 1.0 the game looked awesome - I activated motion smoothing and it felt like perfect 90 fps. 

FpsVR did say I used like 7GB of video ram, but not sure that program can be trusted, at least it could not correctly read the in-game ss, but just blindly reported SteanVR res. 

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

emelyb said:

FpsVR did say I used like 7GB of video ram, but not sure that program can be trusted, at least it could not correctly read the in-game ss, but just blindly reported SteanVR res. 

It can be trusted on most of its measurements but for the Supersampling on the realtime stats it's just a direct report out of SteamVR. There's a button though in the settings called Detect Resolution that can take a snapshot and it will try to calculate the actual resolution. I ran into this problem when I was benchmarking Revive awhile back.

There isn't a way to easily detect actual resolution in real time in SteamVR. Unfortunately this shortcoming falls on Valve. Here's a post about it from FPSVR developer. 

I made a request to Valve to add a function to the API to get real
render resolution, more than a year has passed. I have an alternative
method, but it leads to lag every time calling for screenshot, this
method uses screenshots to calculate the current real resolution.
As soon as there is an opportunity to do this in a more acceptable way, I will definitely add a display of real resolution.

Pulling the SteamVR value was fine unless you were playing Unreal games. Now though with more games having adaptive scaling, Valve really needs to add something.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Regarding my Index controller issue - for which they already replaced my left controller. After finding the replacement was also problematic, they actually offered to replace the controller again, but I refused and
said I was pretty sure the controller wasn't the problem. Fortunately
someone with some noddle read it. On Valve's advice I re-paired the controllers in the opposite order to
what I had originally done. The order that you pair them determines
which receiver is used in the headset. After that the right controller stopped working. At this point they were looking at replacing the headset (again).

Anyway, instead I did a complete Windows reinstall along with fitting my PC upgrade bundle and now it seems to be working just fine. Not sure if I did the right thing there, as the replacement controller had a fully clickable thumbstick... 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Regarding my Index controller issue - for which they already replaced my left controller. After finding the replacement was also problematic, they actually offered to replace the controller again, but I refused and
said I was pretty sure the controller wasn't the problem. Fortunately
someone with some noddle read it. On Valve's advice I re-paired the controllers in the opposite order to
what I had originally done. The order that you pair them determines
which receiver is used in the headset. After that the right controller stopped working. At this point they were looking at replacing the headset (again).

Anyway, instead I did a complete Windows reinstall along with fitting my PC upgrade bundle and now it seems to be working just fine. Not sure if I did the right thing there, as the replacement controller had a fully clickable thumbstick... 😉

It takes some time to know the Index kit - have been using CV1 for a while, and Index didn't start last evening - got an error that the hmd could not be found and was offered to "reset hmd". That could be the start of many fun things 😉 - but I chose to just restart the rig, and now everything worked perfectly, no need to reset or unplug anything. Never had controller pairing or tracking problems though.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yet another Index problem - this time I lost my rag with support.

During the last controller issue mentioned above, they asked me to replug my cable at the junction bit - which I did. Normally I'll never do this when it's powered, for obvious reasons, but as support had specifically told me to, I did (apparently to force a 'hard' reset of the headset).
Since then the audio has been terrible. Loud pops and crackles which sometimes are painfull. On top of that, there are lots of speckles (noise) on dark screens and I get the old tilt syndrome a few seconds after start-up. The headset also goes dark for several seconds during a session, before coming back up okay. Last time this happened I got a warning that the headset had been unplugged - switched the power off and on and it was okay again. I've done all the necessary checks.

All these problems surfaced after replugging that cable joint, and before I had upgraded the PC. It also continued after upgrading my hardware.

Now Valve support have asked me to do the things I already told them I'd done, plus they want me to try it on another PC. Are they fekkin kidding? I don't know anyone else with a PC these days, let alone a VR capable one. I do have an older one myself, but it's not just minus a decent graphics card - so I'd have to swap the main one over - but I doubt the PSU has the required oomph to run it. In any case WTF?!

Expressed my displeasure and told them to stop looking for other reasons when the cause is pretty clear (I'm guessing they are reluctant to accept responsibility). Also, when I went to try that other PC it had some kind of issue and Windows wouldn't start, so that would have to be sorted - just on their whim, which I've said ain't gonna happen and trying to get them to stop wasting my time. All very politely as always, but making sure they understood how pissed off I am. This is the third major issue I've had - my second headset after the first one went belly up (they actually offered to replace it a second time over the lines issue, but I held on to it) and normally they have been very helpful and not messed me about or wasted my time. Last time they simply said - as their first response to my issue - "yep, you've done what we would have asked, we'll send you an advance replacement".

I guess it depends on who you get responding.

I've actually reinstalled that other PC - losing everything I had on it - and am about to install SteamVR and hope that it will run my 2080Ti and give it a go - just to shut them up on that. I was tempted to just tell them I'd done it and screw 'em - but they would be able to check if I had run Steam from separate hardware and also could have asked for the SteaVR report from it.

Really pissed off, though - the Index is an excellent headset when it's working right, so I wish they would just get their finger out and give proper support to fix the issue or send me another one. I don't care if it's a refurb as I've had this one over a year - just so long as the bugger works!

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Today's newspaper just arrived...

https://youtu.be/o1PQQ32rz78