cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 Pro Please!

Cyion
Protege
Dear Oculus/Facebook,

I will not be buying a Quest 2 and I would suggest that there is a need for a PRO version of the Quest 2.  For context reasons, I will reveal that I own a Rift CV1 currently with 3 cameras.

Here are the reasons I am not buying a Quest 2:

- No mechanical IPD slider.  I am one of the rare people who get headaches if my IPD is off by only 1 mm.  I am a VR veteran and have logged thousands of hours so this isn't a VR noobie issue.
- Cheaper microphone than the Rift CV1
- No FOV increase
- I have heard reports that the tracking is worse than the first Quest tracking.  Having excellent tracking on the CV1 makes this very undesirable.  Perhaps it will improve with software updates?
- No built in "quality" headphones.  The CV1 headphones are amazing!  Anything less in quality to that is unacceptable to me.

Now that the rift line is being killed.  Oculus should consider making all future headset have a standard and pro edition.  It is no more work then when you were making a quest and rift s at the same time.

I would love to see a Quest 2 Pro that has these features:

- mechanical IPD ******* (IMPORTANT!)
- built in "quality" headphones
- a "quality" microphone
- increased FOV
- a proper cable that isn't a link cable, I don't want to deal with increased latency due to compression or potentially decreased resolution

Of course it would cost more, but I am willing to pay it.  I am sure many others would pay it too.  Especially those who are buying their second headset or those who have many headsets.

Also for people reading, could you please comment if you want a pro version of the quest 2 as well.  Please also, I don't really want to respond to people who want to pick apart stuff that I have said, can those people please focus on the quest pro part of my message, that would be appreciated.

Thank you for listening,

Cyion
33 REPLIES 33

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
Thank you for your worthwhile discussion Cyion.

Why people feel the need to shut down other people's dreams because they want to feel some sense of superiority is beyond me.

I think it's great to discuss what we would like, if only for other manufacturers to give us what we want instead.
  • Yes, I would like to see an IPD slider even if there aren't separate displays.
  • OLED also please. RGB not pentile.
  • Better headphones aren't a priority to me because you can use your own. A decent set of headphones would be a significant proportion of the price. I would at least like a Pro to have a headstrap that gets out of the way of headphones, perhaps without the plastic arms where it connects to the headset. But, I do agree, it would be nice to have better built in ones for when you want to keep things compact, but then again you can just use earbuds. I think a removable plastic arms would be good.
  • A headstrap that has a low profile at the back, something that's comfortable for you to rest your head back on a pillow or your sofa. (Like the old Quest or Rift strap)
  • FOV increase would be nice but then you have distortion issues, probably something that could be solved with more expensive optics.
  • A short MMCX cable accessory would be nice. A lot of higher end earbuds use such a cable, but it seems to be impossible to buy a short one. These cables run all the way to the earbud so you can replace the entire cable.
I have a Quest 2, but after 5 days I already have a hardware issue with the left speaker that hasn't gone away after a factory reset. So perhaps better build quality?! I may have been unlucky but seems to have been an issue with the Quest 1 also. I also have a Rift CV1. The resolution of the Quest 2 is way way better. I tried watching movie on the CV1 and felt the resolution was too much of a compromise, with the Quest 2, I feel it's practical to enjoy a movie but I would still like a bit higher resolution or more accurately PPI. But, due to the LCD you get this kind of foggy effect, this may however be just a software issue where apps are built and tuned for OLED when blacks can look too black.

Power?... I wouldn't want the headset to be any heavier, lighter please. But perhaps if we have more power efficient electronics, we could have a smaller, lighter battery. 

To summarize:
The obvious:
  • Higher resolution
  • Higher FOV
  • Better audio (removable plastic arms)
  • IPD slider
The not so obvious:
  • OLED RGB
  • Headstrap suitable for resting your head back
  • MMCX earbuds included? (But the current solution is good for sharing the headset and keeping it compact)
  • USB-C rechargeable controllers?
  • Any way to move away from a fresnel lens? God-rays I find can distract you and break your immersion.
Do you have any more thoughts Cyion? What do you think of mine?
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

oliver.jp said:

Thank you for your worthwhile discussion Cyion.

Why people feel the need to shut down other people's dreams because they want to feel some sense of superiority is beyond me.

I think it's great to discuss what we would like, if only for other manufacturers to give us what we want instead.
  • Yes, I would like to see an IPD slider even if there aren't separate displays.
  • OLED also please. RGB not pentile.
  • Better headphones aren't a priority to me because you can use your own. A decent set of headphones would be a significant proportion of the price. I would at least like a Pro to have a headstrap that gets out of the way of headphones, perhaps without the plastic arms where it connects to the headset. But, I do agree, it would be nice to have better built in ones for when you want to keep things compact, but then again you can just use earbuds. I think a removable plastic arms would be good.
  • A headstrap that has a low profile at the back, something that's comfortable for you to rest your head back on a pillow or your sofa. (Like the old Quest or Rift strap)
  • FOV increase would be nice but then you have distortion issues, probably something that could be solved with more expensive optics.
  • A short MMCX cable accessory would be nice. A lot of higher end earbuds use such a cable, but it seems to be impossible to buy a short one. These cables run all the way to the earbud so you can replace the entire cable.
I have a Quest 2, but after 5 days I already have a hardware issue with the left speaker that hasn't gone away after a factory reset. So perhaps better build quality?! I may have been unlucky but seems to have been an issue with the Quest 1 also. I also have a Rift CV1. The resolution of the Quest 2 is way way better. I tried watching movie on the CV1 and felt the resolution was too much of a compromise, with the Quest 2, I feel it's practical to enjoy a movie but I would still like a bit higher resolution or more accurately PPI. But, due to the LCD you get this kind of foggy effect, this may however be just a software issue where apps are built and tuned for OLED when blacks can look too black.

Power?... I wouldn't want the headset to be any heavier, lighter please. But perhaps if we have more power efficient electronics, we could have a smaller, lighter battery. 

To summarize:
The obvious:
  • Higher resolution
  • Higher FOV
  • Better audio (removable plastic arms)
  • IPD slider
The not so obvious:
  • OLED RGB
  • Headstrap suitable for resting your head back
  • MMCX earbuds included? (But the current solution is good for sharing the headset and keeping it compact)
  • USB-C rechargeable controllers?
  • Any way to move away from a fresnel lens? God-rays I find can distract you and break your immersion.
Do you have any more thoughts Cyion? What do you think of mine?

Mostly I think Quest 2 was made to make Horizon look good and sharp for ordinary users, who might not even know the difference between oled and lcd, lol.
I'm sure most common users are just happy for the price and quality - very easy access to swinging lightsabers and hitting floating boxes.
In fact Quest 2 could be the key for Facebook to get millions of users to adopt VR, we'll see. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
After the "collapse" of the Samsung partnership after the aborted GearVR phone-less prototype was dropped - I think it became inevitable that this was going to be a one platform company. That the phone-less design would reemerge as Quest is fascinating. That PC VR would be sidelined was inevitable when the CV2 was abandoned. Those that tried to bet that CV2 would come out have moved on, or are now belatedly thinking of joining the HP bandwagon.

For me in the remaining time, I look forward to seeing the first of the Horizon ecosystem take full shape, and see how the PC VR and Standalone VR communities will diverge. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

vududeman
Expert Protege
Good discussion here--I'm pretty happy with my Quest 2 and hopefully in the next 1-2 years the next version will check more of those boxes to make it even better.  In the meantime--the current one is pretty fun to play, even with some limitations.  From someone who bought the original CV1 + controllers--this is much less expensive and is really fun with no wires.

oliver_jp
Expert Protege
@vududeman
Completely agree, I have a Rift CV1 + controllers + 3 sensors. All permanently set up but still find it a faff to turn on my computer, wait, login, start up Oculus (+Steam VR), plug in the USB and HDMI, straighten the cable out in the right position... so much of a faff that I rarely use it.
Quest 2, put your headset on and you're straight back in, so simple.
But... the faff is worth it for the AAA games if you're going to be in for a couple/few hours. I have yet to give Link or even wireless Link a go though.
My tech reviews: https://www.simplythebest.tech

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I think we need to be very careful from this point on wishing on new hardware from Oculus. It is obviously that Facebook support has doubled down on Quest-2, and the roll out planned is a multi-million hardware investment. But I doubt we will see any further investment in hardware till at least one strategy proves to return an investment. Remember the promises and claims regarding expected sales on CV1!!

lhk5ctexgsim.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I was not sure how new to the scene you may be and if you missed the announcement of development of a Half Dome 2 platform - called the Oculus Del Mar [Image] this was to use the mechanical focal length tech claimed to be part of the Half Dome series, and also be twice as powerful as the CV1. For some time posters claimed it would come out as the CV2 or as a new Quest 2 design - but in reality it seem this may have been a dead-end concept used to spice up the clickbait of Oculus Connect events - and may explain the change in format now to Facebook Connect.

2gsvxhn7cd5u.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cyion said:

- a "quality" microphone
- increased FOV
- a proper cable that isn't a link cable, I don't want to deal with increased latency due to compression or potentially decreased resolution

Of course it would cost more, but I am willing to pay it.  

Cyion

Ironically that was probably what was omitted to drop the price of the Quest 2 to the $299 
That will probably all be in Quest 3 next year when the price will probably return to a higher level now they got ya.
🙂

inovator
Consultant

Cyion said:

- a "quality" microphone
- increased FOV

Cyion

Ironically that was probably what was omitted to drop the price of the Quest 2 to the $299 
That will probably all be in Quest 3 next year when the price will probably return to a higher level now they got ya.
🙂

I don't think the price will go higher for quest 3
 The goal will be to continue making this a mainstream thing. Price contributes to that. We will slowly get all the other goodies as tech costs come down. Maybe before I die of old age.

Cyion said:

- a "quality" microphone
- increased FOV

Cyion

🙂

Pretty confident there will be no Quest 3 until 2022.  More likely 2023.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3