cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Strap breaking?

rbhamilton
Explorer
Hey people.  I ordered my Elite Strap and it's due to arrive in a couple days.  But I have seen now 26 documented posts with photos of the plastic breaking - all in about the same spot.  Is the strap OK?  It's expensive enough that it should be really decent.  Is this a widespread manufacturing defect?  A bad batch?  Some kind of user abuse?  
96 REPLIES 96

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This is a growing concern. Oculus will need to address this asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeodkZGzQG8

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

dburne said:

Ah so I see we now have a "Strap-gate" with Quest 2.

Looking forward to the incoming Baz video explaining how consumers should make sure their headsize is in good standing before using this strap with their Q2. Lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I hate to say this but there also seems to be problems with the Q2 stock foam faceplate leaking its black dye.  A few have reported black circles around their eyes after a long (maybe sweaty?) session. 

I gotta say that after a fairly long session a couple of days ago I placed my headset on top of the cardboard box it came in and later I noticed 2x black marks on the box where the headset had been resting on.  I have not noticed any leakage on my face at least and I have now given the foam a bit of a wipe with a slightly damp cloth and I did not see any dye transfer.  So, maybe just like the new car smell it fades away, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The Quest-2 has been a incredible launch - especially considering the Global crisis underway. To be able to develop and roll out a production VR system of this quality and price point, under these conditions is outstanding and shows the wealth of support Facebook brings to the table for Oculus.

All that said the QA side of Oculus has never really gotten into gear (see the previous list of issues just with Quest-1) - we know they have had serious exec replacement but still this is a big miss. But I am sure it will not impact the overall roll out, once addressed and refunds are circulated.  

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@kevinw729 what VR companies have ever had perfect QC?  Pretty easy answer = none.  Probably the best I've experienced so far is with Vive (QC that is, not including poor inside-out Cosmos tracking tech, lol!).  My Vive Pro headset is flawless and it's 2.0 base stations/controllers are a work of art and work perfectly (but still not as nice to use as Oculus touch controllers of course). 

The main thing I like about Vive 2.0 gear is that even though they have to buy it from Valve (Vive is only licensed to manufacture 1.0 base stations/controllers which is why the Vive Cosmos Elite combo only includes these) they do their own QC before accepting them.  So there is at least another level of QC.  I think that this is why my Vive 2.0 base stations are always quiet as a mouse  and why quite a few Index 2.0 base stations are reported to squeal and squeak.

Having said all that, I agree that it's pretty amazing that Oculus/FB has been able to pull off a high volume Quest 2 launch as successfully as they have with all the global  c.virus issues.  So far the QC on my Q2 seems fine.  It's no Vive Pro wireless but heh, just the Vive Pro wireless adapter cost me more than my Q2, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

@kevinw729 what VR companies have ever had perfect QC?  Pretty easy answer = none. 

And as you can see, I made a point not to claim that they were any different to the rest of the sector. I would actually go father and say that their roll out of hardware is usually in the 80% scale of reliability, compared to the rest that are in the low 70%, (not including peripheral however).

I think you may have missed my point that Quality Assurance - rather than Quality Control was an issue that the company had worked long and hard to address and still found it difficult. I would also say the "neutral" method of communicating with the community has meant they have had to look too "fire fighting" than "fire prevention", leading to these own goals.

One issue about Sony is their QA structure, and how they have a tired QC approach to fabrication, deployment and returns. While Oculus still utilizes the "ticket" scheme for customer complaint - Sony have deployed a different model that allows them to track issues as they emerge - rather than fight with the customer till they are forced to give in! I think the way the "Oculus fail cable" or the "CV1 Red screen of death" problems were handled internally are perfect examples of the hazards of this approach.

But as I already said, and you concurred, the Quest-2 has been an amazing launch. Now to address their internal and external marketing optics and they can hope to achieve that incredible sales goal they have set themselves.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:
Quality Assurance - rather than Quality Control was an issue that the company had worked long and hard to address and still found it difficult. 

This is backwards actually.
  • Quality Assurance addresses external standards and guidelines, such as EU policies.
  • Quality Control addresses internal standards, such as making sure products are durable.
The elite strap issue shows a problem with Oculus QC, not QA. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Here is a version that wont break, as HTC did their Quality Assurance on their product range:

dsfm3exvq8yj.png

ed5zjt4cly48.png

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya Vive does get some things right.  So, is the stuff up with my Cosmos inside-out tracking a QA or QC related problem?  Maybe both, lol!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

Ya Vive does get some things right.  So, is the stuff up with my Cosmos inside-out tracking a QA or QC related problem?  Maybe both, lol!

Yeah, it's common for people who don't work in the industry to get QA and QC confused. I've worked in this field for many years, and QC is what helps ensure something won't "break." 

The whole idea is that, when you're building something, you use QA standards/guidelines to produce a product with the best quality possible. But when you build it, how do you know that you actually succeeded? That's where QC comes in to play.

In this case, Oculus engaged in QA just fine, as they produced a fully functional elite strap. But what they failed to do is send it through QC processes that would have determined if the strap would break. It's a bit of common sense really... since all the "breaking" is happening post-production. That's sort of your clue that this is a QC problem, not a QA problem. QA comes at the time of building something, whereas QC comes after it is built.

QC activities monitor and verify that the project deliverables meet the defined quality standards.
QA makes sure you are doing the right things.
QC makes sure the results of what you've done are what you expected.

QA is the process to create the deliverables.
QC is the process to verify that deliverables.
https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/quality-assurance-vs-quality-control/

It's very easy to get the terms confused unless you've worked in this field/industry specifically.

The best way to think about is: QA is what goes in to making something, QC is what happens when you make sure that the thing you made doesn't suck. lol

The Cosmos was likely built to a standard, so QA was probably followed just fine. But in order to uncover any defects with the tracking before releasing the Cosmos, it would have needed to go through some QC. All post-production issues are QC failures.