cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 keeps losing 5GHz wifi! Keeps disconnecting

cbcharlee
Honored Guest
After a while of use, my Quest 2 will all of a sudden say it's not connected anymore, and when I go to wifi, all the 5GHz networks are now missing!  I then only see the 2.4GHz networks.  A reboot fixes this but it's happened over 3 times now.  Is this a known issue?  Is there any fix or anything I can try? I want to use 5GHz wifi!

145 REPLIES 145

Anonymous
Not applicable
So... after 6 days waiting... I got the following response from Oculus support...

"I was just reviewing the notes. Unfortunately we do not support Mesh networks. You have proven that the headset will work on a mobile network so we know that the WiFi on the headset is working. "

Very disappointed!  There must be loads of people who have a mesh network and it works fine with other android devices.. what have they done with the Q2 implementation???

SciFi_Steve_69
Protege
Had my headset a few days now and seeing exactly the same behaviour.
5ghz network all set up and working fine. You place the headset on standby and charging and when you come to use it again, the 5Ghz network has vanished.
Turning off wifi and turning it back on within settings doesn't fix it. All the headset does is display 2.4Ghz networks.

I tried an experiment earlier, where I setup an additional 5Ghz access point, so in effect had two 5Ghz networks.
Initially, as expected, both networks visible to the Quest 2. Both could be connected to, access the internet etc.
Placed the headset in standby on charge for a couple of hours.
Came back, brought headset out of standby and as before, no 5Ghz networks showing in the list, only 2.4Ghz available.
None of these are mesh networks as mentioned above. This is two separate routers, both different manufacturers.
It looks to me that when resuming from standby, the headset fails to wake/reinitialize the 5Ghz properly.
Really hoping this gets addressed soon, as judging by the increasing number of people experiencing this, it is quite obvious that this is a headset issue.
As others have said, rebooting the headset is the only way to get the 5Ghz visible again.

jason.yee2
Explorer
This is content that VR youtubers normally love.

wobblyrampack
Explorer
I got the standard response back from Oculus.

"Thank you for contacting
Oculus Support. 

I understand that you are having issues with the WiFi connection of your Quest
2. We appreciate the details you have provided for us about the things you
already did. I'll be happy to assist you. 

If users are having trouble connecting to WiFi please have the user do the
following:

1. Use the app to disable and enable WiFi

2. Reboot your headset.

3. Factory reset your Quest 2. See the process of how to that, just click [here]

Note: It would be better to disable the dual-band feature of the
router so devices can be on the same channel during casting and eliminate the
device jumping to another channel which will disrupt the signal."

Trying to decide whether to RMA the headset. 

By the way, has ANYONE tried to factory reset their headset to see if that works??

Danniego
Explorer
+1
I can confirm same wifi disconnect/disappearing issues with my Quest 2 on 4 different routers with previous no connection problems with Quest 1 and any other devices in use.
Also, factory reset and dit not help at all.
Tried different settings and configuration to no avail.
[ Asus , Edimax, TP-Link (2)]

Seldo32
Honored Guest
There's already a lot of good information here from others, but just throwing in my 2 cents. 

When I first got it going on my 5G wifi, it would randomly freeze and stutter even though the sound would be normal.  I own a nice router, less than 3yrs old with big fat bunny ear antennae.  I ended up powering it off for about 10 min and moved it closer to my game room.  Its about 10 feet away through a door and now it plays near perfect, rarely get any lagging, freezing or stuttering.

Ultimately a cheap $60 router from Walmart isn't going to do it, and if your current router is more than 5 years old it could be wearing out.  Turning it off for at least 10 min is important, not just a quick restart. 

Let it sit off for a bit, get it as close to you as possible.  Now if only they could improve the headset + controller tracking.  I'm sick of losing to the game not recognizing sidearm swings.

jason.yee2
Explorer
I did a search for ""quest wifi disconnect"" and it appears many users had similar issues with Quest 1. I don't have any issues with my Quest 1. The issue is just with the Quest 2 using the same router (D-Link DSL-3900).

The disconcerting part is that the users that had this issue with Quest 1 continued to have the issues or had to implement these workarounds that should be fixed at a driver firmware level. But since Quest 1 works ok, my Quest 2 issue is different.

I tried different security settings in case it was an authentication bug, but nothing worked with 5GHz. Really wish this was a facebook memory from 4 years ago.

NGUDeathmate
Protege
Still an ongoing issue, but it's almost definitely an incompatibility with some routers and the quest 2.
Like Jason.yee2, I also have a DLink DSL-3900, and have the exact same issues. I brought the quest 2 to my office today and it worked perfectly.

I checked out logcat while it was trying to search for networks at home and the wifi module kept throwing errors. No errors when I was searching at home.

It could be an issue with a specific chipset. The DLink DSL-3900 uses the Mediatek chipset, which isn't known as the best around. It's one of the strangest software issues i've ever seen.

Also should be noted that this isn't a cheap router. This bloddy thing cost me 350 AUD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still an ongoing issue, but it's almost definitely an incompatibility with some routers and the quest 2.
Like Jason.yee2, I also have a DLink DSL-3900, and have the exact same issues. I brought the quest 2 to my office today and it worked perfectly.

I checked out logcat while it was trying to search for networks at home and the wifi module kept throwing errors. No errors when I was searching at home.

It could be an issue with a specific chipset. The DLink DSL-3900 uses the Mediatek chipset, which isn't known as the best around. It's one of the strangest software issues i've ever seen.

Also should be noted that this isn't a cheap router. This bloddy thing cost me 350 AUD.

I'd like to know which routers DO work really well... I have a Linksys EA-9500AU Router and a Orbi Mesh Wifi AP - RBR50 - neither of these provide a stable connection... even after setting up a 5Ghz dedicated guest channel on the Orbi.  I even tried an old Telstra modem as a Wifi AP - and found that wasn't good either.. which leads me to wonder if it's actually something about the network that's causing Quest 2 to wig out - rather than the Wifi connection??

I would love to be able to diagnose what is ACTUALLY happening when we have unstable connections.

NGUDeathmate
Protege

Liperty said:

I'd like to know which routers DO work really well... I have a Linksys EA-9500AU Router and a Orbi Mesh Wifi AP - RBR50 - neither of these provide a stable connection... even after setting up a 5Ghz dedicated guest channel on the Orbi.  I even tried an old Telstra modem as a Wifi AP - and found that wasn't good either.. which leads me to wonder if it's actually something about the network that's causing Quest 2 to wig out - rather than the Wifi connection??

I would love to be able to diagnose what is ACTUALLY happening when we have unstable connections.

Telstra, guessing you're also an Aussie then? What about you jason.yee2?

Wondering if there is an issue with Australian wifi chipsets then? I'm no wireless network expert but during research it sounds like different countries have different standards/channels, etc. Perhaps there is some sort of issue with chipsets made for Australia?

I'm totally grasping at straws at this point because I have literally nothing else to go on.