New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Multiple Users - one Oculus Quest 2

Sophos707Sophos707 Posts: 10
Brain Burst
Hi there!
We just bought a new Oculus Quest 2. Very excited!
I have six kids, so obviously we want to have our own accounts.

Is this accomplished by each of us signing up for our own facebook account, then logging in and out? Or do we have one Facebook account attached to the device and multiple users for that account?

Or something else?
Thanks!!

Best Answer

Answers

• kojackkojack Posts: 7,203 Volunteer Moderator
    Edit: A statement from Facebook recently said this "...we plan to introduce the ability for multiple users to log into the same device using their own Facebook account.
    The idea is for people to easily share their headset and eligible apps with friends or family while keeping their information separate. We will have more to share on this soon."

Presumably, you'll still have to purchase multiple copies. 
    The part of "share their headset and eligible apps" makes it sound like games owned by the primary account would be shared with people who log in.

Of course the other thing to be aware of is technically any of those accounts still have to meet the Oculus and Facebook license restrictions of ages 13 and over.
    (Not that I think its a problem, I had my 4 year old niece use my quest, she loved the Bogo demo. But kids under 13 can't have their own facebook accounts, could be banned if found out)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • kristine.haskellkristine.haskell Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just bought an oculus quest 2 for our family.  Is it possible to have different users for the headset?  It seems crazy to have 4 different headsets.  I get that we each would need our own account. 
  • AugustinesAugustines Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Had I known, I could not have bought a second one. This limitation is a must have requirement. Please prioritize this else you will get a majority of your customers thinking twice.
  • SWISHB2SWISHB2 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Just setup my device to find the same issues. It's Christmas and yet no solution???? I'm having to share my Facebook account with my kids and it feels more like a demo scenario where we cannot play games and have our own score/progress. We should not have to restart games for each user or manually keep track of our progress. This needs to be sorted ASAP. We love the experience but each user wants their own profile and progress!
  • JordanHerringtonJordanHerrington Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Eta for this being implemented would be great. Doesn't seem like it should take this long for them to figure it out. I'm okay with sharing one profile right now, but the further I get into my games, the more upset I will be if my progress gets deleted. 
  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 1,078
    3Jane
    All you people saying fix this or else are whats bad for the quest platform.  You really think its easy to implement and roll out in a pandemic when every one is social distancing, and the typical office work is non existent.

The quest 2 is doing all that is advertised to do.  It is doing the typical things of psvr, hp reverb, valve index etc.  Family sharing is coming in v24, but non productive threads and comment do not help the developers.  Also threatening developers do this or else i return 4 headsets, DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO RESPECT THE DEVELOPERS.

Also single player games are unaffected by this, the headset saves local progress and save states.  Also single player games can use the quest no problem.

Multiplayer is fifty-fifty, that said what makes you think some app developers what a whole family leaching off of one purchase for 2+ users.

Bottom line don't say to developers roll out or i return unit in x amount of days.
  • PITTCANNAPITTCANNA Posts: 1,078
    3Jane
    Also there are like 30 if not more of these threads, it would be better if every one who wants this feature just add to original ones, and not start a new one because your not interesting.  Its just annoying, save the threads for people who actually need genuine help and not just ^&%^% about oculus.
  • BoB_simBoB_sim Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2020
    No sign of family settings in v24 running 24.0.0.42.393
  • baby_yoda_is_minebaby_yoda_is_mine Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    Is this fixed yet? I see in the profile something that claims it might be?

• kojackkojack Posts: 7,203 Volunteer Moderator
    Sophos707 said:
    It's weird they would make people buy multiple copies for the same device. I was assuming it would be more like other devices, where you download it for the device, and all your users on that device can play it.
    Steam is basically the same way. Games are tied to accounts, not devices. Having a steam game on a PC doesn't mean you can play it if the wrong account is logged in.

Is this fixed yet? I see in the profile something that claims it might be?
    It's getting closer by the look of it, but it's not available yet. That stuff on the website can't be enabled yet, it's showing up a bit early.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • tkof1001tkof1001 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    kojack said:
    Steam is basically the same way. Games are tied to accounts, not devices. Having a steam game on a PC doesn't mean you can play it if the wrong account is logged in.

That's not quite true, you can Family share with Steam, my son and Daughter have access to my entire Steam library on there own PC's as well as mine, takes about 5 minutes to set up...
  • RussofineRussofine Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Not allowing multiple user accounts is definitely a big oversight on the part of Facebook/Oculus. It seems ridiculous that every game you buy that has a campaign mode can only be played by one person. For such an advanced gaming platform. This is a total rookie mistake. Hopefully Oculus matures quickly, realizes its mistake, and releases an elegant fix.
  • WildDakotaWildDakota Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Wow....I have a husband and 3 boys. This thing is going right back.
  • DereklbcDereklbc Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 14
    Wow....I have a husband and 3 boys. This thing is going right back.
    they are fixing this in Feb see article www.
    somagnews.com/oculus-quest-2-will-receive-support-for-multiple-accounts/
  • Mythran101Mythran101 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Umm, in a dad.  I know there are "games" I play that I do not want my kids to even know exist!