cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Users - one Oculus Quest 2

Sophos707
Explorer
Hi there!
We just bought a new Oculus Quest 2. Very excited!
I have six kids, so obviously we want to have our own accounts.

Is this accomplished by each of us signing up for our own facebook account, then logging in and out? Or do we have one Facebook account attached to the device and multiple users for that account?

Or something else?
Thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Oculus still doesn't not have a family friendly solution. Here are the issues you will encounter.

1. Changing from one account to another requires a complete wipe of the headset and re-downloading of any apps.
2. Apps that don't have cloud save, which right now I believe is the majority, lose all progress when deleted from the headset.
3. Each Facebook/Oculus account that wants to play on a given headset needs to purchase a copy of any app. So, if you have an app that all six kids want to play, you have to buy it six times.
4. A very few apps will let you set up you multiple users. For example, Rec Room would allow each person to create a login and then you would log in and out inside of Rec Room and you wouldn't have to reset the whole Quest.

Right now, you are better off keeping a single Facebook/Quest account and just sharing it. It's not a good solution, but eventually they will come up with something better. 

Edit: A statement from Facebook recently said this "...we plan to introduce the ability for multiple users to log into the same device using their own Facebook account.
The idea is for people to easily share their headset and eligible apps with friends or family while keeping their information separate. We will have more to share on this soon."

Presumably, you'll still have to purchase multiple copies. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Oculus still doesn't not have a family friendly solution. Here are the issues you will encounter.

1. Changing from one account to another requires a complete wipe of the headset and re-downloading of any apps.
2. Apps that don't have cloud save, which right now I believe is the majority, lose all progress when deleted from the headset.
3. Each Facebook/Oculus account that wants to play on a given headset needs to purchase a copy of any app. So, if you have an app that all six kids want to play, you have to buy it six times.
4. A very few apps will let you set up you multiple users. For example, Rec Room would allow each person to create a login and then you would log in and out inside of Rec Room and you wouldn't have to reset the whole Quest.

Right now, you are better off keeping a single Facebook/Quest account and just sharing it. It's not a good solution, but eventually they will come up with something better. 

Edit: A statement from Facebook recently said this "...we plan to introduce the ability for multiple users to log into the same device using their own Facebook account.
The idea is for people to easily share their headset and eligible apps with friends or family while keeping their information separate. We will have more to share on this soon."

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

kojack
MVP
MVP

The part of "share their headset and eligible apps" makes it sound like games owned by the primary account would be shared with people who log in.

Of course the other thing to be aware of is technically any of those accounts still have to meet the Oculus and Facebook license restrictions of ages 13 and over.
(Not that I think its a problem, I had my 4 year old niece use my quest, she loved the Bogo demo. But kids under 13 can't have their own facebook accounts, could be banned if found out)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Sophos707
Explorer
Hopefully they do this quicker.
It's really painful. I had planned on purchasing a few, but will hold off.

It's weird they would make people buy multiple copies for the same device. I was assuming it would be more like other devices, where you download it for the device, and all your users on that device can play it.

modestas_baran
Honored Guest
That just sounds like a plain greediness. I doubt its something "difficult" to implement multiple users to have its own save data/settings. Nah, they just be like "create another facebook account, buy same games on that account and hard reset device every time you change profile" or even better - buy multiple devices to save time for hard resetting and buy same games twice or more.

For me it sounds like a pretty obvious feature which must be implemented even before product comes out - consoles have it, netflix have it etc.

Wraith2021
Explorer
If they don't sort this out, and I mean fast! Come Christmas this is gonna come back and bite them in the arse!

I have worked in retail for years, and I can tell you now, people don't read, they don't listen, and they go along blinkered when it comes to informing them. If Facebook thinks that sticking "Requires A Facebook Account" on the box and on all the adds is going to get parents to notice it, they are sorely mistaken.

This Christmas parent all over the globe will be buying their 10, 11, and 12 year olds a Quest 2. And when they find out that it doesn't work like any other console out there, and they can't just create an account for their kid, or they make a fake account, and end up with a paperweight, they are gonna come down on Facebook like a ton of bricks.

You think the launch was bad?

If they don't sort out their logins before Christmas, this is going to hit them hard! Don't get on the wrong side of parents, they are your bread and butter when it comes to mass adoption, and those headsets they all picked up in the millions for Christmas, will find themselves being returned to the stores, which in turn get returned to Facebook, which then hits them in the pocket.

rumplin
Honored Guest
Come on Oculus, prioritize this feature!

The thing is, people have made solutions to this issue, however Oculus/FB keeps blocking them whenever they pop up.  First was one involving settings.apk, 2nd enabled a feature already on the Quest that let you add another user.  Maybe try NOT blocking one until you get the official solution up and running?

wallsfam4
Honored Guest
The fact that this isn't actually a feature right now boggles the mind. Facebook is risking a PR nightmare when families that bought ONE of these for everyone (just like the bought one Playstation 4, or one Nintendo Switch, or one Xbox) are going to find out after unboxing that....spoiler alert, they can only have one kid play one game at a time or that their kid has messed up their save. You listening, Facebook? You hear that wave coming? Christmas is going to wreck this thing if they don't get this figured out. Every...single...family that bought one device is going to share their experience, and it isn't going to be pretty. 

Jimboguil
Honored Guest
It is unthinkable to have a "console" for games and entertainment without thinking about families. I bought the Oculus Quest 2 and am extremely disappointed that I couldn't add more users to it. It is a marketing choice on the part of Facebook which is very questionable. At the cost of an Oculus device, I can't afford to buy one for the whole family.  For this reason, I will therefore return my purchase to the store. (I use google translate, hope it's understandable)