cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought Oculus Quest 2 as gift to my niece. How to download games before I give it away?

CyberTompai
Honored Guest
I bought Oculus Quest 2 as gift to my niece.
I am currently charging it, since it only had 47% battery.
How to download games before I give it away?
I don't want her to spend hours on her birthday on creating account, setting it up, download games etc on the country side with slow internet.
I don't dare to use my own Facebook account or create a new one, since I read that there is risk my own account will be blocked and the Oculus bricked and unusable.
9 REPLIES 9

nalex66
MVP
MVP
You would need to activate the headset on her Facebook account, which means you need her password to sign in. You would also have to set up a payment method associated with her account.

I believe you can do some of the initial updating before signing into a Facebook account--if you fire up the headset and put it on, it starts with setting up WiFi, and once connected, it will do the firmware and OS update. I think it may also download the First Steps intro app and the same demos that Quest 1 came with (demo versions of Beat Saber, Space Pirate Trainer, Sports Scramble, Journey of the Gods, and Creed), so there will be some stuff for your niece to try straight away.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

w_benjamin
Adventurer
For the payment method, you can set up a Paypal account and use that with the Quest. 
It will allow you to gift money to her for games whenever you want without giving her access to the actual accounts.

CyberTompai
Honored Guest
* Asking for a 15 year old girl's Facebook password would make a creepy uncle, while my intention of giving her a Quest is to be a cool uncle.
* The PayPal method sounds like a good way to go. I will give that a try.

Seems like the Quest is not a good gift to give, since it will lead to a boring start.
Hopefully not as bad as when I got my brother a GoPro camera and he was swearing for 2 days setting it up.

A Quest 2 is a very generous present to give, but it potentially has some social safety implications, particularly for young people, so I think it's best that account integrity has priority over the hassles of downloading games over a slow connection, if that's what they have.

There are some great small(ish) apps that can be downloaded first but the best are usually pretty big.

CyberTompai
Honored Guest
It took 17 hours from my niece unboxing Quest 2 before we could install a game on it.
14 hours we waited for email confirmation to get her Oculus mobile app to pair with headset.
We gave up on that and her mother installed the app on her mobile phone and got pairing to work.

So now my niece has finally  a working Quest 2, but paired with her mothers mobile phone and connected to my Paypal account...

jab
Rising Star
And when a random Facebook 'AI' scan detects the mismatch, the real fun will begin..

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

It took 17 hours from my niece unboxing Quest 2 before we could install a game on it.
14 hours we waited for email confirmation to get her Oculus mobile app to pair with headset.
We gave up on that and her mother installed the app on her mobile phone and got pairing to work.

So now my niece has finally  a working Quest 2, but paired with her mothers mobile phone and connected to my Paypal account...

No big deal which phone was used to setup her Q2, as long as it's available if some settings changes need to be done (like turning on developer mode if you want wireless with Virtual Desktop). 

Hopefully she has her own FB account linked to her own Oculus account.  Otherwise , this may cause problems in the near future.  Please do not underestimate the importance of doing this.

If her payment method is your PP account that should be fine, and very generous of you imho. The payment method can always be changed later anyway, like when she gets a real job, and/or you lose yours, lol!  Man, I wish you were my Uncle!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

w_benjamin
Adventurer
You should make a PayPal account specifically for her Quest.
That way access is limited to just that account.
Move money into it whenever you want to gift her a game.

LinguaProf
Protege
I've done this. I gifted my husband an Oculus Quest back in July and I pre-loaded games for him. By the time he booted up his Oculus out of the box and went through the First Steps experience, the home screen displayed all of the games that I had purchased for him.

I did this by installing the Oculus Quest app on his phone, connecting it to his Facebook account and then connecting my Paypal account.  After I had purchased about five or six games, I deleted my PayPal information. From this point if he wants anything else he has to connect his own form of payment.