cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just found these in the semi-bargain bin and had to support the artists  😄 

4pobv3sry8hf.jpg
q2gq3z1g4g0h.jpg

Maybe not the most award-winning nor intellectual stuff - but there's something important easily overlooked that may increase my ratings, namely image quality:

Bad Boys for Life realizes its full visual potential on UHD, boasting an impeccable 2160p/HDR UHD presentation. Both resolution and color components outclass the otherwise excellent Blu-ray, delivering a richer, more lifelike movie watching experience. Colors soar in spectacular fashion, blasting off of the screen with an intensity that suits the material perfectly. Rich Miami neons are the unmatched highlight in both broad overhead establishing shots and through some of the darker streets and clubs seen throughout the film. Tonal intensity is off the charts, delivering brilliant, eye-popping and display-pushing goodness. Warmer colors in the Bad Boys tradition find perfect saturation to emphasize natural light and skin. Black levels are perfectly deep and dense while whites offer brilliant intensity.
This one really shines on UHD. For as good as the movie looks on 1080p Blu-ray, this 2160p/HDR-enhanced presentation of The Great Wallsourced from a 4K digital intermediate, is much better. Color depth and density are noticeably improved right of the bat. The clay- and beige-colored earthy terrains seen early in the film offer a quick tell-tale sign of the upgrade. Saturation is much improved, and there's significantly more punch and vibrancy and nuance to the colors without betraying the essential appearance of each shade or the basic textural integrity of any given scene or location. Here, it's easy to see that terrain sharpness and detail, even at distance, are much greater on the UHD as well. Black levels are a little brighter, but here offering, at times, an opportunity to reveal more detail. The dark, blue and gray-dominant scene inside the wall in chapter two isn't as dense on the Blu-ray, but the trade-off is much more visible detail on the dark armor. The finer points and most intricate lines and creases shine on the UHD. They're very complex on the Blu-ray, too, but this takes things to another level, and that's not to even mention the tangible increase in minute depth between the protruding decorations and the furthest pieces of background material. For this one, however, it ultimately comes back around to the color. The increase in depth and tonal accuracy is stunning. Every shade benefits, from the most dazzling blues to the most barren, earthy hue. Detail enjoys a fair uptick in sharpness and definition but the color makes this UHD what it is, definitely one of the best on the market and a reference point for HDR excellence.

Thus both movies are rated at a perfect 5/5 for image quality at blu-ray.com - and same for the sound. Also one of my friends recently asked if I wanted some of his *cough* downloaded movies, but the quality simply is so bad with such movies using the 85" Sony tv - where bad res and compression errors are extremely easy to see - that Netflix really is the only thing I watch which isn't on a disc. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Might be the equivalent of "last light of Durin's Day" for my aging 3D plasma, but decided to go all in maybe one last time. According to several 3D movie enthusiasts, these 3 movies, which I just bought on Blu-ray 3D, have the very best 3D pop-out effects:

pjuarvoi6uw1.jpg
zvy208hb16kh.jpgtbzslpignudo.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Might be the equivalent of "last light of Durin's Day" for my aging 3D plasma, but decided to go all in maybe one last time. According to several 3D movie enthusiasts, these 3 movies, which I just bought on Blu-ray 3D, have the very best 3D pop-out effects:

pjuarvoi6uw1.jpg

Jaws 3D was awesome. Wanted to see that movie since I was 10 years old, but my mother would not let me see it in 1983  :'( The movie does indeed show some of the best pop-out effects I've seen with the plasma 3D TV. Colors popped too, this movie simply must be seen in 3D, the movie really does not work in 2D. Even my 12 yo son thought the 3D was great, although he considered some special effects to be similar to fanmade effects from his favorite Youtubers  😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
This movie is one of my favourites of all time, a bit old but definitely timeless. Just stumbled over it recently and re-watched it with my brother. If you haven't seen this movie you are missing out!

t988tw5on6a8.jpg

slev1111n
Explorer
Lucky number Slevin
Spirited Away
Hunger
The Zero Theorem

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said

pjuarvoi6uw1.jpg

Must say my belief in 3D movies has been restored after watching the above movies. Sure the story content in these movies may not win Oscars, but the pop-out effects and use of 3D greatly enhance the immersion. 

House of Magic clearly is 9/10, one of the best animated movies I've seen in a long time - and due to the utterly amazing in-your-face 3D effects. 

Amityville 3D easily is 7/10, but only for the 3D version - 2D is probably not worth watching, but 3D totally opened up the movie. 

Note these movies were made to use 3D effects as much as possible, and may not be good for casual viewers, because the 3D may be much more hard on the eyes than usually. But 3D enthusiasts may find great joy in watching the above movies. Note that my Samsung 3D glasses are running at 2 x 72 Hz (3 x 24 fps per eye), and movie quality was very smooth - using plasma for minimum ghosting (fastest response times, even faster than oled) and great blacks.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Finally got it - some prices were about $100 on Amazon.com  :# But got saved by some British dude on Ebay, and now it's mine  >:) 

Now, before anyone says anything - the blu-ray 3D is known to provide some of the very best pop-out 3D effects ever seen - and that's why I bought the movie:

3ew8t22nkvtq.jpg
Btw, got a few more movies - yeah, the sons aren't going to play MoH: Above and Beyond, but they can get this experience instead  o:)  
i1bf417la9ag.jpg

- the 4K quality should be awesome. Also picked up this one, 8.1 on IMDB:

c36vudwpdr66.jpg

- and I've got to see what Cameron and Arnold are up to this time... 

3l1ubbxk3vgt.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's nowt wrong with classic horror films! B)

I'm a big fan of them, probably why I enjoyed Wilson's Heart so much and why it's one of my favourite VR games.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Talking of classic films, I'm watching the first Carry On film, Carry On Constable.

I totally forgot about Constable Constable ???

I love these films, they're ageless, and still funny today, 60 years later.

Of course if you release films like this these days you'd have certain people having a nervous breakdown over them. I've got every single one of them sitting on my hard drive ???

There was some woman in the London press the other day getting her knickers in a twist over Only Fools And Horses saying that it was racist and sexist because she COMPLETELY missed the fucking point. We're laughing AT the characters and their prejudices, not WITH them. Same goes for the Alf Garnett character in the two series 'In Sickness And In Health' and 'Until Death Us Do Part'.

No sign of the late great (and beautiful!) Barbara Windsor yet, don't think she was in the first few films if I'm remembering correctly.

My favourite ones are Carry On Screaming and Carry On Cleo.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Watched a film on Amazon yesterday called After.Life and it was awesome.

Christina Ricci spent most of the film either wearing skimpy clothes or completely nekked. ???❤?