Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

jab said:

RuneSR2 said:
The only continued growth seems to be among Index and Quest users, WMR has declined for long, maybe G2 can help... 

I am not getting a G2 specifically because it is inside-out WMR. And it is not a budget decision.

Just bought a used Pimax 5K Plus for shits and giggles and to try a LCD based headset.
And it turns out giving people the resolution they wanted, and having non parallel displays for increased FOV results in disastrous performance hits. Like 1080ti with <100% res and still barely being playable in some titles bad..
But the FOV is very, very nice and image is the best I have ever seen using 200% minus the fact it is unplayable.

That's a great point - some may easily forget that even CV1 in 2016-2017 easily could need more gpu power than a 1080 or 1080 Ti could provide. And adding like 80% more res (Index, Vive Pro), or even 260% more res (Reverb), does not make anything better performancewise - well, maybe if you got a 3090 for the Reverb, but that's kinda besides the point, lol. 
That said, many VR games don't need a fast gpu and will work fine using even Reverb - but the very best games like Stormland and Asgard's Wrath, also needing Revive, are a real challenge - even running native with the CV1. 

Alyx only runs so great thanks to Valve delivering a level of optimization we might never see again in a VR game - or maybe in 2025, who knows, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alyx runs so well with high quality textures because it's a corridor shooter. Sure, it has plenty of optimisation, but technically Asgard's Wrath is a more impressive title.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

Alyx runs so well with high quality textures because it's a corridor shooter. Sure, it has plenty of optimisation, but technically Asgard's Wrath is a more impressive title.

Sure, but Alyx has several open area locations where the view distance is at least as high as in Asgard's Wrath - just take the opening scene in Alyx which is far more impressive than anything I've seen in Asgard's Wrath. Still performance feels like 2-3 x better in Alyx than in Asgard's Wrath. Probably due to incredible optimization skills among Valve devs. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

snowdog said:

Sure, but Alyx has several open area locations where the view distance is at least as high as in Asgard's Wrath - just take the opening scene in Alyx which is far more impressive than anything I've seen in Asgard's Wrath. Still performance feels like 2-3 x better in Alyx than in Asgard's Wrath. Probably due to incredible optimization skills among Valve devs. 

I agree with you on Alyx having several open area locations with a large view distance that look and perform great.
But IMHO Asgard's Wrath opening scene I found way more impressive than Alyx' opening scene.
But I do like Alyx more than Asgard's Wrath.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

RuneSR2 said:

snowdog said:

I agree with you on Alyx having several open area locations with a large view distance that look and perform great.
But IMHO Asgard's Wrath opening scene I found way more impressive than Alyx' opening scene.
But I do like Alyx more than Asgard's Wrath.

Also I experienced Asgard's Wrath with the CV1, while I experienced everything in Alyx with Index max FOV and res looking close to 200% - of course choice of hmd may have impacted my experience a lot. Alyx looks beyond stunning using the Index, also in regard to textures which are of a much higher quality than in Asgard's Wrath (even if textures do look nice in Asgard's Wrath). 

jab
Rising Star
If Value had made anything but a well optimized SteamVR game, I would be very, very worried for the future of SteamVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

jab said:

If Value had made anything but a well optimized SteamVR game, I would be very, very worried for the future of SteamVR.

Agreed, but Alyx makes nearly all other VR games look like something the cat dragged in, lol. Thinking about it - that may be a serious problem (might already be for some, read that some dude had completely Alyx 5 times since nothing else compared). 

After completing Alyx and thereby sort of losing the game, can't say I didn't feel nearly exactly like this :blush: 

https://youtu.be/0-EF60neguk

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

jab said:

Agreed, but Alyx makes nearly all other VR games look like something the cat dragged in, lol. Thinking about it - that may be a serious problem (might already be for some, read that some dude had completely Alyx 5 times since nothing else compared). 

After completing Alyx and thereby sort of losing the game, can't say I didn't feel nearly exactly like this :blush: 

https://youtu.be/0-EF60neguk

Ok seriously - I highly suggest you give yourself a break - say a min vacation - from PC gaming...
 😉 

jab
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:
Guess I am lucky since I mostly do simracing, and cockpit games are a perfect fit for VR.
You can even to some degree justify the narrow FoV, by pretending it is the racing helmet obstructing your view.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steam Hardware Survey no longer displays VR headsets. It could be a temporary bug, but Valve likely just wiped it off themselves. Could be the end of Valve's commitment to VR. I seriously hope not...