cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
These features and enhancements will become available starting on 11/13/2020

Oculus Move

• From slashing boxes in Beat Saber to mowing down zombies in Arizona Sunshine, you can now keep track of the estimated calories you burn and how long you’ve been physically active across any app or game in VR with our new platform feature, Oculus Move
  • Oculus Move allows you to set daily goals and track progress based on estimated calories burned and time spent being physically active in VR.
  • Please note, Oculus Move is rolling out gradually starting next week, so some users may not see this feature right away.

Quest 2 Frame Rate

• With this release, Quest 2 headsets can now run natively at 90 Hz by default. This higher frame rate has been shown to provide a smoother visual experience and improve your time spent in VR overall.
    • To start, system level software will run at 90 Hz. Additional app adoption is based on developer discretion. Developers will have full-access to this feature as part of the upcoming SDK release.

Voice Commands

• You can now access your Voice Activity in your headset. This means that you’ll be able to view, hear and delete your voice interactions while you’re still in-VR. To manage your voice activity:
    • Put on your Quest or Quest 2 headset, then select Settings > Voice Commands > Activity Log
  • You’ll still be able to access your Voice Activity from your mobile app or from the Oculus website as well.

Voice Dictation

• Automatic punctuation: No more saying ‘comma’ or ‘period’ when you want to add punctuation to your dictation. In this release we’ve added automatic punctuation and capitalization to Voice Dictation, making it easier and more efficient to type with your voice.
    • As you speak, dictation will automatically fill in periods, commas, question marks and capitalization. Afterwards, you can give us a thumbs up or thumbs down to provide feedback on your experience.
      • Note: This experience will gradually roll out to English speaking users in the US & Canada.
  • Dictation from the Search bar: Voice Dictation will now be conveniently integrated within the Oculus search bar. Instead of triggering dictation from the keyboard, you can now quickly find it in the Search bar where your query will auto-submit so you can get your search result within seconds.
    • Note: This experience will gradually roll out to English speaking users in the US & Canada.

Voice Commands, Voice Dictation & Predictive Text availability

• All three features will now be available to English speaking users in Canada.
    • Please note these features will be rolled out to English speaking users in Canada gradually over time.

Accessibility

• To help improve the readability of text in-VR, you now have the option to adjust the font size for text that appears in your headset. To do this, select Settings > Device > Text Size.

Mobile App

• We’ve updated the Oculus mobile app to allow you to seamlessly launch app content the next time you put on your headset. This means that the next time you see a challenge you want to join or an event you want to attend in the mobile app, you can save it and have it show up in your headset.
    • Please note this feature is currently an experiment and may not be available to all users at this time.

System

• We’ve made software enhancements to both Quest and Quest 2 to reduce latency and improve your in-VR experience.

In-VR Experience

• To help keep you comfortable from anywhere in VR, you can now grab and move both the keyboard and menu bar to a more optimal position for your situation.
  • With this release we’ve introduced the ability to complete additional tasks from within an app without having to return to your Home. This means that sending friend requests, sharing media, making in-app purchases and more can be completed without leaving your current app or experience.
    • Please note, this feature is dependent on developers implementing Focus Awareness and updating their SDK to v23.
  • We've also rolled out the new universal menu bar to all first-generation Quest headsets.

Education

• We know it can be overwhelming for new users to enter VR for the first time, so we’ve created some new features to help. These include:
    • Getting to Know your Quest: A series of mini tutorial experiences to introduce you to the basics of VR.
    • Progress bar: See which tutorials you’ve completed and what you can do next.
    • Achievements: Just like your favorite apps and games, get achievements for completing tutorials and leveling up the time you spend in-VR.
      • Please note that these features are part of an experiment and may not be available to all users at this time.

Browser

• You can now seamlessly upload and download files to and from your headset via Browser. Upload a video to YouTube, download photos from Dropbox, or share files via Google Docs, all without ever having to leave VR.

Bug Reporting

• We’ve introduced the ability for you to let us know when something isn’t working by reporting a bug. Bug reporting helps us recognize issues and make adjustments to improve your overall in-VR experience.
    • To report a bug, select Settings > About > Report a Bug or visit Quick Actions and select the Bug Reporter Icon.
    • Please note, the Bug Reporter is rolling out gradually, so some users may not see this feature right away.
    • Also please note, Oculus Support does not respond to bug submissions. If you need assistance, please contact our support team directly.

Quest apps on Quest 2

• If you had a Quest headset and upgrade to a Quest 2, you’ll now have the option to automatically download your previously downloaded apps from your Quest when you finish setting up your Quest 2.
    • Note: You can always re-download apps associated with your account on a new device, this specific update streamlines the process by surfacing the option to download multiple apps at the end of your Quest 2 setup.

Quest Display

• We’ve improved the Pixel density for Quest, leading to improved image resolution.
    • This enhancement is for the first-generation Oculus Quest only.

Casting

• Sharing what’s happening in your headset just got even easier with web casting. With this update, we’ve enabled casting to oculus.com/casting on a desktop web browser such as Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge
  • When casting to the Oculus App on iOS and Android, you can now record what’s being cast directly on the phone where it will save to the device’s camera roll.

Fixes
  • We’ve made improvements to Guardian to reduce unintended drift or positional movement.
  • We’ve fixed a bug that caused some larger apps to fail to download.
  • We’ve fixed a bug that caused some headsets to go into sleep mode while actively watching video in media apps.
229 Comments
xeno3d
Adventurer
Does this mean that Link is now 90Hz?
nalex66
MVP
MVP

xeno3d said:

Does this mean that Link is now 90Hz?

It is, according to today's blog post. You might also need the non-PTC v23 release on PC.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nothing showing any update for the quest 1 yet ?
For me anyway. Still on v20 here ..
BoggitVR
Explorer
j have v23 im in the uk
BoggitVR
Explorer
sorry im on quest 1
Strongit
Heroic Explorer
Looking forward to seeing the pixel density increase on the original quest.  Still on V20 for now.
Nunyabinez
Rising Star
OMG, 90Hz with the Link is awesome! You do have to enable it in the desktop software, but it is smooth like butter.

Also, my desktop and Quest 2 updated, but not my Quest 1, so they may be prioritizing Quest 2.
rtathegawd84
Protege
Not had it come through on my quest 2 yet. I'm on the beta software though on the headset and P.C app so maybe I need to try turning these off I guess? Otherwise it's just waiting for it to roll out as I'm sure it will be a staggered update.
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Not had it come through on my quest 2 yet. I'm on the beta software though on the headset and P.C software so maybe I need to try turning these off I guess? Otherwise it's just waiting for it to roll out as I'm sure it will be a staggered update.

Ya, I normally roll back beta's to previous non-beta's after a new final version is announced.  After that, it's just a matter of time before these get new updates.  We always seem to be last in line in Australia.  Must be the coriolis effect, lol!
rtathegawd84
Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

Not had it come through on my quest 2 yet. I'm on the beta software though on the headset and P.C software so maybe I need to try turning these off I guess? Otherwise it's just waiting for it to roll out as I'm sure it will be a staggered update.

Ya, I normally roll back beta's to previous non-beta's after a new final version is announced.  After that, it's just a matter of time before these get new updates.  We always seem to be last in line in Australia.  Must be the coriolis effect, lol!

Cool. Was gonna give it a try anyway so I'll report back before everyone else starts posting the same question 🙂 
rtathegawd84
Protege
Not updating for me yet after removing beta options and dev mode on both headset and P.C software. Tried resetting everything so I guess it's just a case of waiting! Glad to be getting these updates (when it happens) at least.
Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Don't shoot me, but I was also able to get my Quest 1 to update. I restarted several times before it showed up. I don't know that it had any affect, but eventually it showed up for me.

I think it looks really good, but I also could be just experiencing the placebo effect. I'll mess around with it some more and post what I find. Of course, when it is connected through link it is still at 72Hz.

Edit: Played for a while and I thing it looks much improved. Of course the only thing that really bothered me was the SDE and it is still the same.
dingofoxvrfox
Protege
good does this fix the no audio while streaming on the quest 2
kevinwarhaft
Adventurer
awesome update im getting quest 2 very soon
Fangzhou
Adventurer
Checked on Quest 2 but still says v21 is the latest version. Strange. 
Icecream.inc
Explorer
my headset is v21 and so is the pc software. thats after uninstalled, and reinstalled.
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I just got v23 with my Quest 1.  All seems fine and I now have the universal menu.  Nice that you can now change font sizes.  I'm still waiting for v23 to appear on my Oculus desktop app (still onv21) to see if there are any Link changes but Link seemed to work fine with V21 for now.  Thanks Oculus.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I got version 23 on the PC app and see the rendering resolution option. So, my initial thoughts after trying DCS World is that this is a huge improvement! 🙂 Everything in the cockpit is very readable now. No need to struggle anymore! Still waiting on the Quest 2 to update, so no 90 Hz just yet. This is what you see when the desktop app updates: https://imgur.com/a/Y3LUVPm
Horis0nten
Protege

Don't shoot me, but I was also able to get my Quest 1 to update. I restarted several times before it showed up. I don't know that it had any affect, but eventually it showed up for me.

Where are you located?
Horis0nten
Protege

Fangzhou said:

Checked on Quest 2 but still says v21 is the latest version. Strange. 

I haven't received it either. Located in Sweden. I'm guessing they have some priority system to not overload the servers lol... Wonder what they prioritize and if we all are going to get it today, or if we are talking days before everyone has it.

Edit: It was released yesterday the 13th, it's early morning the 14th in Sweden already ☺️
Icecream.inc
Explorer
put my headset on and it says an update is available to download.
click download....nope no internet. but store works, all the youtube it recommends works.
try again, no internet. can still load stuff off youtube and connect to mulitplayer stuff so thats not true.
restart headset.... no update available and still v21.
niklas.fritzell
Protege
Improved quest 1 pixel density? Nice but what does that mean? Native resolution when using link?
LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
Updates a no show in NC. PC is on V23 though.
philneitz
Protege
KaBox
Explorer
available starting on 11/13/2020
now it's 11/14/2020 , we are still V21 . What's wrong ?
Adapto
Protege
no updates yet. Only PC have v23. Could support tells us how updates is rolling around the world? Is US region prioritized? What about EU?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why would the US be prioritised???
LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer

Cubby1962 said:

Why would the US be prioritised???

I don't feel prioritized.
Adapto
Protege
If you have v23 you are prioritized 😛
LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
Only PC though. I've got my flippers on standing in the desert lol.
rtathegawd84
Protege
FYI everyone.. it's 100% confirmed to be a rollout update, so just like an android update it's not coming to everyone at once.. my oculus P.C app has updated now but so far my headset is still on v21. Worst case it might be a few more days I imagine. Good things come to those who wait
ShermanHerman
Protege
How do you know what version the headset is on?  All I can find about the headset is a really long number beginning with 92
rtathegawd84
Protege

How do you know what version the headset is on?  All I can find about the headset is a really long number beginning with 92

on the headset go into settings-about-version (just under that long number starting with the 92). if it says version 21. you haven't got the update yet
Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Where are you located?

I am in the Western USA
Anonymous
Not applicable

KaBox said:

available starting on 11/13/2020
now it's 11/14/2020 , we are still V21 . What's wrong ?

Your lucky on V21 ... Still V20 here 🙂
I have a Lazy Headset .. Cant be bovvered 
Tomoflong
Honored Guest
i pushed the update on the PC app. I've not noticed any major differences yet but i'm sure they will come in time. I have noticed, however, that when running Half Life Alyx through Steam VR it really struggles, which it didn't do before i updated. It's very, very laggy. It's actually unplayable. Has anyone else experienced this? 
tanubon
Heroic Explorer
What is correct version number?

23.0.0.76.517?
rtathegawd84
Protege

Tomoflong said:

i pushed the update on the PC app. I've not noticed any major differences yet but i'm sure they will come in time. I have noticed, however, that when running Half Life Alyx through Steam VR it really struggles, which it didn't do before i updated. It's very, very laggy. It's actually unplayable. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Do you have v23 on the headset though? You need both updated for it to work properly I imagine.. I have V23 on the P.C oculus app still stuck on old version 21 on my headset! 
Bigchief23
Honored Guest
This sucks that they didn't make the quest one have the option to make it 90hz. Alot of ppl paid a lot for it and  even if you sell it now. You are losing money because resell is low. Make quest one 90hz damnnn it! 
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

This sucks that they didn't make the quest one have the option to make it 90hz. Alot of ppl paid a lot for it and  even if you sell it now. You are losing money because resell is low. Make quest one 90hz damnnn it! 

This has been discussed quite a few times over the last year or so.

Carmack mentioned in his keynote at OC6 Sept1919 that the FCC certification Oculus filed limits the refresh rate to 72 Hz. He said the panel can go higher, but because that would void their FCC certification, they can’t allow it. He also mentioned that had they didn’t want to allow a higher refresh rate when filing because most developers would have too hard a time optimizing or even being able to deliver experiences that could hit a higher frame rate.  I think a lot of this is also due to the weaker Q1 mobile chip.  So, I kinda doubt that we are ever going to see 90hz on the Q1.

Obviously, the more powerful Q2 chip, together with fast lcd panels has raised the bar and Carmack said this year that the Q2 panels were actually capable of 120hz but he did not see this being practical.  This is because higher refresh rates takes more processing power.  With Link now coming out of beta and offering 72/80/90hz options for the Q2, it will be interesting to see what people think.  On a properly controlled Blind Test I doubt that many could tell the difference imho.
Fangzhou
Adventurer
My Quest 1 version is still v20, not even got updated when v21 was available. When I connect it to PC with v23, it disconnect in few seconds. 
My Quest 2 version is v21 (pre-installed) and never get updated after received. 
Do Oculus really have roll-out software update for Asian countries?
h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer

Fangzhou said:

My Quest 1 version is still v20, not even got updated when v21 was available. When I connect it to PC with v23, it disconnect in few seconds. 
My Quest 2 version is v21 (pre-installed) and never get updated after received. 
Do Oculus really have roll-out software update for Asian countries?

The Q1 never got the v21 your firmware v20 is the most recent one. I guess they update every device no matter what country.
Adapto
Protege

About Android updates and the Check now button

As Dan Morrill explains here, updates roll out in batches, starting with 1 percent of all devices in the first 24-48 hours. The team checks for problems, and if everything goes to plan, proceeds to update the next batch, typically consisting of 25 percent of devices. So the percentage of updated devices goes from 1%, to 25%, to 50%, to 75%, to 100% over a period of 1-2 weeks.

And here’s the thing – the devices that go into each batch are randomly selected once for each batch. In other words, if you are turned down for the first batch, you have to wait for the next one, and no amount of tapping the Check now button will help.

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-android-updates-roll-out-force-clear-gcf-318744/
Anonymous
Not applicable
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jtrrsc/want_the_new_quest_2_90hz_update_now_skip_the/ i have side loaded the new update and wow i love it i mainly play using link and loving the 90hz mode with the huge bump in resolution its made a massive difference thank you oculus you have nailed this headset, and to think i was going to get a G2 so glad i didnt

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really don't congratulate Oculus for this update. Although the new features are great, this was a hell of a transition.

I had to restart my headset three times for it to work. The first time, I had no controller ; the second time, I had no WiFi ; the third time, everything finally worked, lol.

90 Hz is glitchy, it's just not smooth. I'd like the option to keep 72 Hz, because frankly, it was more comfortable. It's stupid not to have options and they know that.

I can't move the keyboard in any app. Anyone managed to do that? I see the bar under the general menu, but the keyboard doesn't have any.

Virtual Desktop PCVR streaming became glitchy. It stutters in Beat Saber. Now I don't blame Oculus on that one, it's a 3rd party unofficial feature and I know very well that updates break stuff, but it still annoys me. Now Oculus didn't update on my PC yet, maybe that's the issue.

FInally, I was hoping to test Oculus Move today, but I don't have it yet. I understand why the update is "rolling out", but why doesn't that specific feature have the same rythm as the update?

But hey, it was a necessary update. But I was expecting a more stable transition...
francesco_2013
Protege
I am in NL still stuck at version 21. Come on ! What is that ? I want version 23 ....
francesco_2013
Protege

Adapto said:

no updates yet. Only PC have v23. Could support tells us how updates is rolling around the world? Is US region prioritized? What about EU?

Same here. Netherlands stuck at version 21 ....
lensmandave
Superstar

I really don't congratulate Oculus for this update. Although the new features are great, this was a hell of a transition.

I had to restart my headset three times for it to work. The first time, I had no controller ; the second time, I had no WiFi ; the third time, everything finally worked, lol.

90 Hz is glitchy, it's just not smooth. I'd like the option to keep 72 Hz, because frankly, it was more comfortable. It's stupid not to have options and they know that.

I can't move the keyboard in any app. Anyone managed to do that? I see the bar under the general menu, but the keyboard doesn't have any.

Virtual Desktop PCVR streaming became glitchy. It stutters in Beat Saber. Now I don't blame Oculus on that one, it's a 3rd party unofficial feature and I know very well that updates break stuff, but it still annoys me. Now Oculus didn't update on my PC yet, maybe that's the issue.

FInally, I was hoping to test Oculus Move today, but I don't have it yet. I understand why the update is "rolling out", but why doesn't that specific feature have the same rythm as the update?

But hey, it was a necessary update. But I was expecting a more stable transition...

I understand there is an option to select 72, 80 or 90Hz?
I'm still waiting for the update.
Ah edit...That is on the PC update.
LameDuckWarrior
Heroic Explorer
i just updated manually it was pretty scary .i've never done that before but oh my god this is amazing .
Bautin1
Honored Guest
En España aun no esta disponible