cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 Available Pre-orders UP - November Release Date Confirmed

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Just ordered mine the price is £525 including VAT & Shipping to UK. 

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,930 REPLIES 1,930

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

Replaying Alyx, I'm at the station where the big guards start appearing. Just as I'm about to go into a fight, a big black rectangle pops up in the middle of the screen telling me Vivaldi browser has an update. Turning around makes to panel drift around to try to always be in front of me. I have to open up the WMR interface so I can click on the close button to get rid of it.
Battery warnings on the Oculus software were annoying enough, is WMR going to redirect every windows notification into VR?

For FOV, I wouldn't get anything extra by different padding. If I press the headset a bit harder on my face I can see the screen edges (like on the Quest 2, which is really distracting). I'd rather keep it where it is and have the nice soft lens edge rather than get a couple of extra degrees and hard screen edge.

Turn the notification setting off for the app. Battery warnings for Oculus is part of their software. Windows notifications can be turned off
and on for each app, or notifacations can be all turned off altogether.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Has anyone with a reverb G2 tried sports bar VR?  I know other windows MR headsets can't track properly in this game but from what I have been told the rift S copes ok. I dunno about quest. 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

pyroth309
Visionary

Well just over a week to go until hopefully I get mine. Looking forward to it.

My summary of what I am expecting from it from reviews so far:-

• The tracking to be good when it can see the controllers and a bit flakey when its out of the volume for any period of a few seconds. Controllers feel cheap and a bit buzzy. The volumes not as big as oculus and Oculus tracking has better prediction software and can get closer to the headset. Better than Cosmos - worst than Rift S etc. Hoping for software improvements but cameras / position may be the blocker for that.
  • Amazing clarity and resolution. great colours for an LCD and blacks, well greyish like any other of its kind. Better or worse than other blacks seems a matter of opinion. 
  • Small sweet spot but better than G1 and possibly the same as Rift S?
  • FOV - Depending on face shape FOV is varying. There apparently is a 14 degree increase if you use a thinner face plate / foam which will definitely be on the cards for me. I remember the Index having reviews saying the FOV wasn't that great but you need to really get close to it to achieve its full FOV potential. If you wear glasses you were not getting the full benefit. I use disposable contacts.
  • Steep learning curve to WMR
  • Possibility of pairing it with index controllers later to be seen.
  • Good comfort for long gaming sessions, nice headset design. 
  • Sound, well that seems to be a mixed bag of reviews. A lot of personal preference due to design. I think I'll like the off ear approach. My ears do tend to ache a bit with the CV1 or just normal headphones if worn for any time period.

Seems about right from what I've seen. Tracking is really flaky out of the cameras after a couple of seconds, as in it stops moving in 6dof and goes down to 3dof with just rotational (IE just wrist movements) until a camera sees it again then it snaps to the real spot. Camera only takes like 20 or 30 milliseconds if I remember right to update the tracking but even a glancing sweep across a piece of a camera will get it going again.

I have a 69ish ipd. Never had it measured but 69/70 feels best to me in VR and I believe Kojack is there as well so if he's seeing black bars I likely won't benefit from the FoV mod either but we'll see.

I wouldn't say there's a steep learning curve to WMR so much so that it's just clunky and not intuitive...like most microsoft products lol. I'll see if I can find a decent setup guide. I never had a problem setting it up but I wouldn't call it good lol.

Rest mirrors what I've seen from multiple people.

kojack said:

Replaying Alyx, I'm at the station where the big guards start appearing. Just as I'm about to go into a fight, a big black rectangle pops up in the middle of the screen telling me Vivaldi browser has an update. Turning around makes to panel drift around to try to always be in front of me. I have to open up the WMR interface so I can click on the close button to get rid of it.
Battery warnings on the Oculus software were annoying enough, is WMR going to redirect every windows notification into VR?

Yes it does which I ended up turning them off in the HMD as I couldn't find a way to move them to the bottom. I'd love to keep the notifications if I could have them all in a spot that's not right in my crosshairs. One of you software developers should create that Lol. But you go here - it's just a check box nowadays but still works on this screen.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I see some people are disappointed with the tracking, but isn't it Microsoft that will have to change the tracking, or can HP tweak the tracking?

pyroth309
Visionary

RedRizla said:

I see some people are disappointed with the tracking, but isn't it Microsoft that will have to change the tracking, or can HP tweak the tracking?

Yep, it's Microsoft's system. You know, 2 camera WMR tracking was pretty good....in 2017. I found it to be a better solution than say PSVR at the time but was never on par with the other external trackers. Quest and Rift-S though came along with the multiple cameras that are positioned better and made it obsolete. Most of the outrage is from people who have used one of those latter systems and are stepping back into 2017 as it doesn't seem the additional 2 cameras of the G2 added a whole lot. And they have perfectly valid points to be unsatisfied with it. It's a shame that the 2 extra cameras doesn't seem to address the biggest shortcomings. That said, it's a usable tracking system just doesn't seem to be a good one in 2020.

I'm personally fine with it if it's on par with WMR 1.0, I just want to play games with sick visuals and if I can get through the game without major problems with normal WMR usage then great. I'll steal my wife's Quest 2 if really have to for better tracking. 😄 I also still have a CV1 worst case but that thing's in a closet and I don't anticipate needing them for any of the games I want to play.

Luciferous
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

RedRizla said:

Yep, it's Microsoft's system. You know, 2 camera WMR tracking was pretty good....in 2017. I found it to be a better solution than say PSVR at the time but was never on par with the other external trackers. Quest and Rift-S though came along with the multiple cameras that are positioned better and made it obsolete. Most of the outrage is from people who have used one of those latter systems and are stepping back into 2017 as it doesn't seem the additional 2 cameras of the G2 added a whole lot. And they have perfectly valid points to be unsatisfied with it. It's a shame that the 2 extra cameras doesn't seem to address the biggest shortcomings. That said, it's a usable tracking system just doesn't seem to be a good one in 2020.

I'm personally fine with it if it's on par with WMR 1.0, I just want to play games with sick visuals and if I can get through the game without major problems with normal WMR usage then great. I'll steal my wife's Quest 2 if really have to for better tracking. 😄 I also still have a CV1 worst case but that thing's in a closet and I don't anticipate needing them for any of the games I want to play.

However Microsoft must have updated the tracking to take into account more cameras do you think, so new code?

It would be good to see where the cameras can physically see.

I am 63-64 IPD by the way.

pyroth309
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

RedRizla said:

However Microsoft must have updated the tracking to take into account more cameras do you think, so new code?

It would be good to see where the cameras can physically see.

I am 63-64 IPD by the way.

You would think. And yea, I'd also be curious to see what the camera can physically see. You can kind of get an idea by using the little flash light deal. It turns black when you get to the edges. On my O+ I could go down pretty far and never had a problem with it tracking my hands in my normal 90 degree elbow posture. I hope that's still the case with G2. It's looking like it'll be awhile before I get to find out. People that ordered in May still haven't gotten theirs yet and I'm in July.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

ok screw it. It seems the EU deliveries due to be shipped on the 13th have still not let HP yet and HP are radio silent with their distribution partners.... I am.. keeping my order for now but also gonna try this, arriving Thursday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0879DGZ5W/

went for the 5m version with the booster in it.   under £30 if it does not work well @90hz i will send it back.  depending on how good it is i shall cancel my G2

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

ok screw it. It seems the EU deliveries due to be shipped on the 13th have still not let HP yet and HP are radio silent with their distribution partners.... I am.. keeping my order for now but also gonna try this, arriving Thursday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0879DGZ5W/

went for the 5m version with the booster in it.   under £30 if it does not work well @90hz i will send it back.  depending on how good it is i shall cancel my G2

Are you being serious because if you are I'm starting to get well peeved off with this now. This will be the fourth bloody time I've being given a different date. Are HP just going out of their way to just piss people off or something? Who has said it hasn't shipped to the UK yet?
I've just seen this (link below) you are serious. This is getting beyond a joke now and if I still haven't received my HP -G2 by November 30th then I'm cancelling. They got frigging paid nearly 5 months ago now.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea, that's ridiculous. If I thought Quest 2 could be my daily driver I'd probably order one but I wouldn't be happy with it. For me it's either G2 or wait for Samsung or Decagear. /sigh.

On a positive note for me, I just saw this - Maybe mine has shipped already. 😮

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jvwuyz/shes_finally_here_july_18th_order_from_connection/