New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb G2 Available Pre-orders UP - November Release Date Confirmed

Comments

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 363
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    Been playing Alyx a good bit today, already getting low battery message on controllers.
    Ugh.

Still using my mine that came with the G2 and they have been in the red for a bit now. Last evening I played a further 2hrs with them in the red an never once lost any tracking. I want to see how long they will last in the red before they give up the ghost. I have my 3000mWh EBL (8 Red ones with charger) ready, but haven't used them yet.

If your getting good tracking then keep using them until they either die or loose tracking, unless you don't want to miss something in a game when that happens. If you can get 3500mWh then they'll prob be a bit better...but it depends on whether 3500mWh is true or just marketing. 3000-3500mWr is actually about 2000mAh equiv.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, MSI 1080ti Gaming X, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details soon...don't want to spill anything just yet!!
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 1,044
    Neo
    edited November 18

I'm hoping to get mine shipped in a week from today. maybe some from the Australian luck shined on us Canadians. :)
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,302 Valuable Player
    edited November 18
    dburne said:
    Been playing Alyx a good bit today, already getting low battery message on controllers.
    Ugh.

Still using my mine that came with the G2 and they have been in the red for a bit now. Last evening I played a further 2hrs with them in the red an never once lost any tracking. I want to see how long they will last in the red before they give up the ghost. I have my 3000mWh EBL (8 Red ones with charger) ready, but haven't used them yet.

If your getting good tracking then keep using them until they either die or loose tracking, unless you don't want to miss something in a game when that happens. If you can get 3500mWh then they'll prob be a bit better...but it depends on whether 3500mWh is true or just marketing. 3000-3500mWr is actually about 2000mAh equiv.

Yea, that's what the fuss is about with 1.5V batteries. Alkaline starts at 1.5V but drops down fast so you get that warning before the battery is actually fully discharged. Usually the warning causes haptics to stop working and the lights on the controller to be dimmer. But I still found the tracking to be fine even in this mode. I'm sure lighting/environment is a factor. When you go to 1.5V rechargeables or batteries that don't lose voltage so fast, It goes a lot longer before getting the message/works more normally.

Also I dug up some posts on WMR reddit about Advanced Supersampling Filter and found this regarding Odyssey+.

Advanced supersampling filter uses a different filter when supersampling, to reduce jaggies. Consensus is that it softens the image, which O+ is known for so I'd say turn it off.

With Reverb since it has a sharp image already, it may not be a big deal. I just remember with my O+ it looked bad and caused me stuttering. I had much better results with it off. I'll tinker with it when my Reverb comes in.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 3,064 Valuable Player
    edited November 18
    I got the G2 today, it was easy enough to setup, I don't like walking the headset around the room as opposed to drawing out your guardian with the controllers, but that's no big deal.  Steam VR was easy to setup also, but I had to unplug my CV1 for it to even see the G2.  I have a 1070 card and had to reduce the steam settings to 46%.  It plays most games fine, but DCS got back that terrible stutter I had with the 1060 card.  The clarity is so good, but I'd rather play with the CV1 than G2 with this card because of that nauseating jittering.

Onwards graphics look so much better than CV1.  I can actually see guys across the map. And I didn't have to remap the controllers from what I had setup for touch.

Here's what I don't like.  I think the controllers are cheap garbage.  I have had this headset for 7 hours and 45 mins.  I've actually used it for maybe 1 hour today.  The right thumbstick is already starting to stick!  The controllers don't feel as good as the original touch controllers, not even close.  Touch felt perfect.  These feel large, but with worse button layout also.  I'm used to outside in tracking, so this is my first taste of wireless.  Good god, please tell me they can fix this with an update?  But WMR has been out forever, wouldn't they have fixed it by now?  Tracking is ok, but when I play Onward it constantly loses tracking.  The camera's have limited range so if your arms are down to far, it loses part of the tracking and all of a sudden it's like your arms are down and your twisting your wrists.  I think I might play onward with CV1 despite the HUGE bump in clarity on the G2, this tracking is just terrible.  I just need to upgrade the GPU so I can actually push this thing, I just can't find a good GPU anywhere right now.

You can play just about any game with this, I'm just spoiled with that outside in tracking.  I put the rift back on and the tracking is smooth, I can't make it lose tracking unless I pretty much block a controller from the 3rd sensor and move awkwardly. 

On G2, Constantly lost it.  my hands would just randomly float sometimes.  I'm still adjusting, but it feels this is going to force me to move my hands in certain positions because just tilting your head and not moving your hands could cause tracking loss since rotating your head can move the lower camera's away from a controller that might be held just too low.

The clarity is amazing though.  Now if only I could find a GPU....
    edited November 18
    falken76 said:
    You can play just about any game with this, I'm just spoiled with that outside in tracking.  I put the rift back on and the tracking is smooth, I can't make it lose tracking unless I pretty much block a controller from the 3rd sensor and move awkwardly. 

On G2, Constantly lost it.  my hands would just randomly float sometimes.  I'm still adjusting, but it feels this is going to force me to move my hands in certain positions because just tilting your head and not moving your hands could cause tracking loss since rotating your head can move the lower camera's away from a controller that might be held just too low.

The clarity is amazing though.  No if only I could find a GPU....
    Yea, there's no comparison to CV1 tracking lol. And yea that's exactly it. You have to be mindful of your hands where you don't on CV1/Index. The weak spots are way up above which is only a problem in a few games, and anything below your nipples basically from what the videos have showed of the G2. You either need to go down and come back quick or look down. It's a bit jarring when you come from constellation or Lighthouse where it tracks you pretty much no matter where your head is looking.

It's disappointing that everyone seems to be in consensus that the controllers feel cheap. I haven't held them myself yet but I guess I'll find out in about 12-18 hours.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,332 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Ugh.

Don't forget even when not good enough for the controllers from what I have read there will still be plenty of juice in them.    Just stick em in telly remote or something 
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,287 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @dburne -You don't need to use Super Sampeling with the HP Reverb, if you run it at its native resolution it should look good enough. Super Sampeling just uses up resources and FPS will drop. There again if you have a fps monitor you are using on the fly, then you can see how much it's affecting your FPS. I have a small program I got from Steam (Cant Remember what it's called) where I just flick my wrist over and it shows me information like FPS.. etc.
    Yeah I have it also, fpsVR.

Thanks
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,041 Valuable Player
    i put in a order today for the reverb g2 in canada. i have a gtx 1060 6gb videocard. so not full resolution.

i will say when its shipped and how its working out for me here in can a da.
    Welcome to HP club :) The first rule of HP Club, you do not talk about tracking ;)

Ya, same goes with the OG Cosmos Club, lol!  Its tracking has improved over the last year but it is still no where near Oculus Rift S or Quest (1 or 2) standards imho.  I think it's pretty well equal to WMR standards now though.  Not really a high bar to jump, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

I can't compare the G2 to the G1 tracking, but so far I am finding the G2 to not be too bad. Played several hours of Alyx yesterday. Oculus is better, but I think G2 tracking for me is going to work. This was a concern I had going in.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,064 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

It's disappointing that everyone seems to be in consensus that the controllers feel cheap. I haven't held them myself yet but I guess I'll find out in about 12-18 hours.

They feel really low quality.  I'm probably not making a fair comparison since I bought the original touch that cost $200 when Oculus was in innovate mode as opposed to mass production mode, so they used quality material during the innovation phase.  I could punch walls (And have) with touch controllers and the most they ever got was a cosmetic imperfection.  The G2 controllers would explode with enough force to leave the shadows painted on the walls.  The plastic is cheap.  Popping off the cover for the batteries feels like it's going to break, it literally feels like an egg shell in comparison to the first run of touch controllers.  I guarantee you will see posts of people breaking these very low grade controllers.  You'll see when yours arrive.  They're functional.  I only used it for aprox an hour and the right thumbstick is already getting stuck.  I am beyond disappointed in how cheap they actually are in quality.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,663 Valuable Player
    edited November 19
    I was pretty prepared for this and still considering the Index Controller mod. I guess we will see. However this is a cheap stop gap headset until someone delivers something closer to my ideal.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 363
    Trinity
    pyroth309 said:

Yea, that's what the fuss is about with 1.5V batteries. Alkaline starts at 1.5V but drops down fast so you get that warning before the battery is actually fully discharged. Usually the warning causes haptics to stop working and the lights on the controller to be dimmer. But I still found the tracking to be fine even in this mode. I'm sure lighting/environment is a factor. When you go to 1.5V rechargeables or batteries that don't lose voltage so fast, It goes a lot longer before getting the message/works more normally.

Yes, the Alkaline's that shipped are still going strong in the red. Played another 2hrs last night and still had awesome performance and tracking. I think I'll put my 1.5v EBL's in now and see how long they last. It'll prob take about 5 recharges to get them at their peak so that might be a while down the road. I'm definitely impressed though. I'm not sure if I'll keep the haptics enabled...mine buzz very loudly and feel like their going to jump out of my hands. I'm wondering if the internal settings for the vibration is slightly different from HMD to HMD.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, MSI 1080ti Gaming X, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details soon...don't want to spill anything just yet!!
    Mines due the 1st of December now got an email yesterday from System Interactive, one day slip. Seems a more definite date now though. Glad you guys are having a positive experience.
    Yeah my controllers with the original batteries gave me a low message along with disabling haptics two days ago.
    Played Alyx yesterday another three to four  hours and controllers were working fine up until about the last session when they started acting up just a little. Will put a fresh set in today and see how long they last.
    Will be ordering some re-chargeables here soon.
    Don

Ok now that I know the controllers are going to be fine for me,  ordered two sets this morning, thanks again !
    Don

edited November 20
    Jumped into Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot as I wanted a game to try that I never played before and wow. That was probably the most immersed I have been since I first put on the CV1. Inside the building/on the chair wasn't the best but once I got out into the missions it looked awesome. (Not the best game though lol and the controls in this game are weird). Dark areas in this game looked really dark. I'm gonna load up something with true black next time I Play.

Some other observations:

God rays - About on par with quests I would say. Can still see them but they don't beam into your eyes like Rift. No glowing lenses like Index either but there's still god rays in high contrast scenes.

I actually find the Sweet Spot to be pretty big. I only have a bit of blur around the outer edges. Most of the lens is clear for me.

I've run into a couple of games that wouldn't accept my custom mappings for some reason, I solved it by just setting the controllers to mimic Vive Wands and I was good to go.

I've also noticed that when I tightened the strap a bit and Press down on the front, It holds it down and I keep most of the FoV. I imagine when this cushion breaks in a bit I will always have more FoV. I may not have to mod it but we'll see.

I need to install FPSVR to see what my FPS actually is but I haven't had any problems running everything at the 100% resolution which is 3176 x 3096 with my 3090. Seems like good performance.

Overall a very positive experience for me. I'm looking forward to playing a lot of VR in it.
    edited November 20
    System Interactive are saying anybody who ordered in August will get it now on the 10th of December.

At least part of my headset arrived today :)

edited November 20
    I have accumulated many hours since last Friday with my new G2.
    I have to say I am quite impressed, I find even the controllers to be satisfactory and not having any problem using them currently. May have to give Revive a try and see if I can play Asgard's Wrath with it. My flight sims are stunning with it.

Only negative (for me) was the headphones, just did not offer enough on the volume side for my tastes. Which for me is fine as I really prefer earbuds anyways, love the noise isolation they give me. Plus removing them the headset even got a tad lighter.
    Don

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,040 Valuable Player
    Tested just reviewed the G2:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,897 Valuable Player
    He is taking it out of the draw. Now it is his daily headset. If I was able to do this the g2 would be a buy.  The g2 can be a dream all around headset. 

edited November 20
    inovator said:
    He is taking it out of the draw. Now it is his daily headset. If I was able to do this the g2 would be a buy.  The g2 can be a dream all around headset. 

Yea I'm on the fence about doing this. A part of me feels like with Valve co-designing the lenses of the G2, they're probably going to take what they learned and leap frog it at some point with a better tracking system. So rather than spend my money on the Knuckles at this point I will probably wait to see what happens as I'm fine with the WMR tracking.
    edited November 20
    Wow that is a turn around from his last review. He seemed in a bad mood about it in the last pre-production review. 

oooo I am excited now, Nice video innovator on the controllers
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,897 Valuable Player
    Wow that is a turn around from his last review. He seemed in a bad mood about it in the last pre-production review. 

oooo I am excited now, Nice video innovator on the controllers
    Ya it now allows him to do crystal clear vr in his shooters. I love that the g2 can be made to work for everything. It won't be in reach for me for set up reasons but I'm passionet about vrs future and like I said before I want the g2 to succeed. When I sent videos about its faults it didn't make me feel good. The last video I sent made me feel good.
    I am thoroughly enjoying my second play through with Alyx. Running it at 125% Resolution in the G2 and it is gorgeous.
    Dang jump scares still get me though. Freakin head crawlers.
    Don

edited November 20

dburne said:
    I am thoroughly enjoying my second play through with Alyx. Running it at 125% Resolution in the G2 and it is gorgeous.

Nice, I think I'm going to crank my 3090 up to that as well. It ran silky smooth at 100% and looked so good but it was on adaptive so no telling what it was running at. I need to figure out how to stop Alyx from doing that. I'm also looking forward to playing all of the Alyx mods as I've avoided them all until I got this headset. My playtime is low this week but looking forward to hitting a lot of VR in the next couple of weeks. I need to get my HOTAS setup and try some sims with it too.
    Apparently if you just add the below to launch options it'll work. I'm going to do that next time I play.

Turn off adaptive super sampling: -console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3

Add that to your launch options for the game. Then you can set your SS/resolution in steamvr to whatever you want.

pyroth309 said:

dburne said:

Nice, I think I'm going to crank my 3090 up to that as well. It ran silky smooth at 100% and looked so good but it was on adaptive so no telling what it was running at. I need to figure out how to stop Alyx from doing that. I'm also looking forward to playing all of the Alyx mods as I've avoided them all until I got this headset. My playtime is low this week but looking forward to hitting a lot of VR in the next couple of weeks. I need to get my HOTAS setup and try some sims with it too.

Yeah I have been enjoying my flight sims earlier this week. Also Star Wars Squadrons is gorgeous in the G2 if you like that sort of game.
    Don

dburne said:
    pyroth309 said:

dburne said:

Yeah I have been enjoying my flight sims earlier this week. Also Star Wars Squadrons is gorgeous in the G2 if you like that sort of game.

It's already on my list lol. That, IL-2, DCS, Dirt 2, Project Cars 2, and the new flight simulator are all high on the list. I can only imagine how insane FS 2020 will look in the G2.

I should have several hours free tuesday to try some stuff, my playtime will be spotty over the weekend I'll be jumping in random things when I can. I also want to try Revive and jump into Asgard's Wrath/Stormlands asap and see if it's better than the last time I attempted with O+. Needless to say, I'll be spending all the free hours I can in VR for the next few months lol.