cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link Official Cable not working on Thunderbolt 3 Port

Fangzhou
Adventurer
I try to connect Oculus Quest 2 to PC with Official Oculus Link Cable but it does not works. The connection will green for few seconds, then win10 pop up warning "The USB device is not working properly" and then Oculus software shows "No HDMI connection" and disconnect the Oculus Quest 2. 
This only happens when I use official Oculus Link cable. If I use third-party poor quality cable with same Thunderbolt 3 port, it works perfectly. If I use official Oculus Link cable on same PC same Quest 2 but a different USB-C port (not Thunderbolt3, only USB-C), then it works.
Most strange behavior is that: the official Oculus Link + Thunderbolt3+Quest 2 combination works twice, and seems randomly. If it can successfully connect, the Oculus Link just works. But if I disconnect then connect again, it fails.  Most of time it will just fail in few seconds as what I descript. 
I try to use a copper extension cable so that the thunderbolt3 does not communicate with the official Oculus Link cable directly, but it still fail, same as before. 
If I connect other devices (for example, iPad Pro) + official Oculus Link cable + thunderbolt3 port, it does not working. I think the problem is the PC or the cable. 

My PC spec is i7-6700k + Gigabyte Z170 Gaming GT motherboard + GTX1070. Software is latest non-PTC. (Tried latest PTC, also not working). 

16 REPLIES 16

Fangzhou
Adventurer
My Quest 2 finally got updated to v23, and the problem is NOT fixed..
Anyway I am using a PCIE USB card and generally happy with that. 

lepryy
Honored Guest

FearlessV said:

im having the same issue with the same exact setup. I wonder if its the gigabyte mobo. i have the z170 gaming 7. 6700k and 1070. keeps connecting and disconnecting. no update on my quest 2 yet

I have literally the exact same setup except a 1080Ti. Same issues here. No fix I can find yet. Any luck?

Drolle
Honored Guest
I am having the same problem.  I am using a Quest 2, Official Link Cable connected to Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard Thunderbolt port.  The disconnects only happen when I pick up my Quest 2 to use it and the screen comes on.  I believe its a problem with power/data going at the same time.  

Fangzhou
Adventurer
Looks like I should avoid Gigabyte motherboard in future..

kayadmt
Explorer
I am surprised it works at all on a usb c on motherboard.  That will be running off of the built in graphics, not pulling from your 1070 I believe.  It has to be a port on your graphics card, it can't do a pass through to your graphics card via motherboard.  Just like hdmi on mobo won't use your graphics card.  So what might be causing issues is the actual drivers on your system...ie you are telling your system to push this out of your mobo while the 1070 is running your monitor.

Just a thought not sure as I have not had much hands on with this, but I have the same mobo.

FearlessV
Honored Guest

lepryy said:

FearlessV said:

im having the same issue with the same exact setup. I wonder if its the gigabyte mobo. i have the z170 gaming 7. 6700k and 1070. keeps connecting and disconnecting. no update on my quest 2 yet

I have literally the exact same setup except a 1080Ti. Same issues here. No fix I can find yet. Any luck?

i bought a usb c hub and it works. but i want to try something else too. i actually dont tink it fully plugs into the slot. my port works because i use it for other things.

Hey, could you share a link or the model of the hub that you used? I'm finding some in amazon but it looks like the UBC that it's on the hub it's only for charging. Thank you!