New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb G2 Available Pre-orders UP - November Release Date Confirmed

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,009 Valuable Player
    edited November 20
    I just wish a company would come along and make some cheap base stations and Oculus touch type controllers that worked independent of all the VR headsets.  Why do controllers have to be linked to these VR headsets? I'll get by with the WMR controllers, but I hope the next VR headset will have the best displays and the best tracking. Surely, it's not a lot to ask for when we've had a taste of these things on different VR headsets already. They just need to combine all this into one package to make it more successful.
    Has Microsoft Flight Sim got VR up and running?

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,303 Valuable Player
    edited November 20
    RedRizla said:
    I just wish a company would come along and make some cheap base stations and Oculus touch type controllers that worked independent of all the VR headsets.  Why do controllers have to be linked to these VR headsets? I'll get by with the WMR controllers, but I hope the next VR headset will have the best displays and the best tracking. Surely, it's not a lot to ask for when we've had a taste of these things on different VR headsets already. They just need to combine all this into one package to make it more successful.

Yea, I hear you there. While I've been having a blast with the G2, having Index like tracking with this headset is definitely the pinnacle right now and makes a great experience...really great. Maybe Decagear can deliver something special. (Not optimistic but who knows)

HP did what they could with a system that Microsoft doesn't seem interested in updating much. I've been considering the index controller/reverb combo for awhile but I just don't really want to shell out $650+ after taxes to just improve the tracking when it's fine in majority of games I want to play. We'll see how I feel after a month lol.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,064 Valuable Player
    I've had more time to use the G2 now, the tracking isn't as good as CV1 for sure, but it's not bad at all for me.  I occasionally lose tracking, but I'm getting used to where I keep my hands as I move my head.  I can play Onward just fine with these, and I've started playing with Bigscreen again for the first time in almost 4 years because I can actually see the screen clearly.  3D movies look amazing to me in this.  I really like this headset.  A few of my friends have Rift and Quest 2, I'm going to stream the Tyson Jones fight on bigscreen so my friends and I can have a virtual get together and watch the fight.  This headset is really cool.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 1,044
    Neo
    edited November 21
    some people have said the displayport type c isn't working out for them. there is a firmware update here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

i tested my gtx 1060 to see if it needed the update and it did, but cards all the way up to the 1080ti might also need it.

dl the sw in the link and if it needs the firmware update it does it automatically then you reboot when done.

my order is showing processing. what does processing mean?
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,897 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

I believe in the long run we will no longer have companies making base stations. It will all be inside out tracking.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,287 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    dburne said:
    pyroth309 said:

dburne said:
    I am thoroughly enjoying my second play through with Alyx. Running it at 125% Resolution in the G2 and it is gorgeous.
    Dang jump scares still get me though. Freakin head crawlers.

Nice, I think I'm going to crank my 3090 up to that as well. It ran silky smooth at 100% and looked so good but it was on adaptive so no telling what it was running at. I need to figure out how to stop Alyx from doing that. I'm also looking forward to playing all of the Alyx mods as I've avoided them all until I got this headset. My playtime is low this week but looking forward to hitting a lot of VR in the next couple of weeks. I need to get my HOTAS setup and try some sims with it too.

Yeah I have been enjoying my flight sims earlier this week. Also Star Wars Squadrons is gorgeous in the G2 if you like that sort of game.

It's already on my list lol. That, IL-2, DCS, Dirt 2, Project Cars 2, and the new flight simulator are all high on the list. I can only imagine how insane FS 2020 will look in the G2.

I should have several hours free tuesday to try some stuff, my playtime will be spotty over the weekend I'll be jumping in random things when I can. I also want to try Revive and jump into Asgard's Wrath/Stormlands asap and see if it's better than the last time I attempted with O+. Needless to say, I'll be spending all the free hours I can in VR for the next few months lol.

Yeah both IL-2 and DCS look great. I have Automobilista 2 but have not tried it yet since getting the G2.
    Think I will check into using Revive also for Asgard's Wrath. That game frustrates me but it keeps occasionally pulling me back in.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,054 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    I just wish a company would come along and make some cheap base stations and Oculus touch type controllers that worked independent of all the VR headsets.  Why do controllers have to be linked to these VR headsets?
    That's what Sixense was aiming for with Stem. A magnetic tracked base station with up to 10 tracking devices (that could be controllers or strapped to your body). It would be headset independent, you put one tracker on the headset and the coordinate systems are automatically synced. They were also working on a developer library for avatar control with variable number of trackers (that also supported non Sixense tracking).
    I still wish they actually finished the damn thing and shipped it.
    Even if it wasn't better than the later tracking systems, it was headset agnostic.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
    edited November 21
    Jumped in Beat Saber and made an attempt to record my first Video in G2. I need to figure out how to back the camera off again to make viewing videos more pleasant but didn't have much time. I'm quite enjoying the tracking in BS. Here's a run I did on Overkill from Monstercat pack on Expert. I'm not the most familiar with this song and missed 2 blocks that were on me, not the tracking. As long as you don't leave your hands way down too long it works pretty damn good.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,351 Valuable Player
    Yeh Upload VR offers a decent, concise review and fairly excitable over the G2 despite the tracking faults. And certainly less drama than putting it away forever unless the tracking is fixed. And now, that guy does a complete reversal which means his first review was just full of typical youtuber hyperbole crap. This sort of thing is why many people simply distrust youtubers. 

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,333 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Jumped in Beat Saber and made an attempt to record my first Video in G2. I need to figure out how to back the camera off again to make viewing videos more pleasant but didn't have much time. I'm quite enjoying the tracking in BS. Here's a run I did on Overkill from Monstercat pack on Expert. I'm not the most familiar with this song and missed 2 blocks that were on me, not the tracking. As long as you don't leave your hands way down too long it works pretty damn good.

I don't care how much I played that game I would not be that good.   My reactions are too shot for that,!
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    pyroth309 said:

I don't care how much I played that game I would not be that good.   My reactions are too shot for that,!

I hear ya, sometimes mine are too. That song gets a bit crazy toward the end. I got behind the curve with my arm movement and couldn't catch up in one section which caused a miss. Then one of the side blocks came and I swung too early and missed it. I had a pretty damn good combo going until then lol.
  • Ocupheus2Ocupheus2 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    pyroth309 said:

It's disappointing that everyone seems to be in consensus that the controllers feel cheap. I haven't held them myself yet but I guess I'll find out in about 12-18 hours.

They feel really low quality.  I'm probably not making a fair comparison since I bought the original touch that cost $200 when Oculus was in innovate mode as opposed to mass production mode, so they used quality material during the innovation phase.  I could punch walls (And have) with touch controllers and the most they ever got was a cosmetic imperfection.  The G2 controllers would explode with enough force to leave the shadows painted on the walls.  The plastic is cheap.  Popping off the cover for the batteries feels like it's going to break, it literally feels like an egg shell in comparison to the first run of touch controllers.  I guarantee you will see posts of people breaking these very low grade controllers.  You'll see when yours arrive.  They're functional.  I only used it for aprox an hour and the right thumbstick is already getting stuck.  I am beyond disappointed in how cheap they actually are in quality.
    Based on reading and seeing enough reviews of the G2 I think the headset is best for flying and driving sims strictly for the impressive visuals. HP's camera placement was a huge mistake.
    edited November 21
    Ocupheus2 said:
    falken76 said:
    pyroth309 said:

It's disappointing that everyone seems to be in consensus that the controllers feel cheap. I haven't held them myself yet but I guess I'll find out in about 12-18 hours.

They feel really low quality.  I'm probably not making a fair comparison since I bought the original touch that cost $200 when Oculus was in innovate mode as opposed to mass production mode, so they used quality material during the innovation phase.  I could punch walls (And have) with touch controllers and the most they ever got was a cosmetic imperfection.  The G2 controllers would explode with enough force to leave the shadows painted on the walls.  The plastic is cheap.  Popping off the cover for the batteries feels like it's going to break, it literally feels like an egg shell in comparison to the first run of touch controllers.  I guarantee you will see posts of people breaking these very low grade controllers.  You'll see when yours arrive.  They're functional.  I only used it for aprox an hour and the right thumbstick is already getting stuck.  I am beyond disappointed in how cheap they actually are in quality.
    Based on reading and seeing enough reviews of the G2 I think the headset is best for flying and driving sims strictly for the impressive visuals. HP's camera placement was a huge mistake.

No doubt that's where the G2 shines and it obviously has a major shortcoming with the camera volume not covering above and especially below very well like Oculus solutions do but if you're mindful of that it, nearly anything is playable. Check that beat saber video I posted a few posts up. That's better than I can do on my Quest 1 as my tracking on it always seems to hiccup/randomly miss in fast parts of that song. 

I do think Quest 2 is a better solution for the average person for a few reasons. A lot can't be bothered to pay attention to their hand placement and just want to be active in VR. Quest 2's Tracking volume is much better for this. It also has lower system requirements, wireless and standalone options. The tracking on it also has less weird stuff happening with the hands when it does lose tracking.

So if you prefer visuals and don't mind giving up some tracking volume (but still able to play nearly all games) then G2 is a good choice. If you prefer better tracking and/or versatility (and don't mind facebook) Quest 2 or Index is a good choice.

For me, G2 was a no brainer as I have access to a Quest 2 if I REALLY need its tracking for something and also a CV1 if I need some insane tracking for something lol. So far though, G2 is handling it all. 

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,041 Valuable Player
    edited November 22
    Ocupheus2 said:
    falken76 said:
    pyroth309 said:

I've read quite a lot of user reviews now - my impression is that if you're already used to WMR, then G2 will probably work wonders - and might be the best thing you ever bought. Also if you play sims or mostly play seated. 

Most complaints I see from users going from solid tracking options like having base stations or even the CV1 - in those cases, and for those wanting perfect tracking and the ability to hold your hands on your back for as long as you'd like, G2 will not be an optimal solution (even if G2 may be worse, same goes for Quest 2 and Rift-S etc). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,663 Valuable Player
    edited November 23
    kojack said:
    RedRizla said:
    I just wish a company would come along and make some cheap base stations and Oculus touch type controllers that worked independent of all the VR headsets.  Why do controllers have to be linked to these VR headsets?
    That's what Sixense was aiming for with Stem. A magnetic tracked base station with up to 10 tracking devices (that could be controllers or strapped to your body). It would be headset independent, you put one tracker on the headset and the coordinate systems are automatically synced. They were also working on a developer library for avatar control with variable number of trackers (that also supported non Sixense tracking).
    Even if it wasn't better than the later tracking systems, it was headset agnostic.

If HP / Valve decided to allow index controllers to connect up with a G2 officially, would it need extra hardware do you think?

At the moment a lot of the hassle seems to be fooling the index controllers into believing a compatible headset is connected then disconnecting it.

Could they just use the HP G2 technically to calibrate the controllers? I mean it knows where the headset is?

I saw you could use a Vive with base stations 1.0. Interesting as you can pick them up pretty cheap. Didnt quite get from the video(s) if you would need to connect and disconnect the Vive on system boot up everytime after linking the controllers. I wonder if you can link the wands.

I can get full vive setup for 150.00 GBP. Quality of the heaset is irrelevant as its being used effectively as a dongle replacement.
    kojack said:
    RedRizla said:

If HP / Valve decided to allow index controllers to connect up with a G2 officially, would it need extra hardware do you think?

At the moment a lot of the hassle seems to be fooling the index controllers into believing a compatible headset is connected then disconnecting it.

Could they just use the HP G2 technically to calibrate the controllers? I mean it knows where the headset is?

I saw you could use a Vive with base stations 1.0. Interesting as you can pick them up pretty cheap. Didnt quite get from the video(s) if you would need to connect and disconnect the Vive on system boot up everytime after linking the controllers. I wonder if you can link the wands.

I can get full vive setup for 150.00 GBP. Quality of the heaset is irrelevant as its being used effectively as a dongle replacement.

Although it's possible, using G2 with Index controllers is unsupported and may not work (great) for many. Some experiences shared here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/jz7336/reverb_g2_index_controllers_and_the_need_for_a/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited November 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    kojack said:
    RedRizla said:

Although it's possible, using G2 with Index controllers is unsupported and may not work (great) for many. Some experiences shared here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/jz7336/reverb_g2_index_controllers_and_the_need_for_a/
    True but as mentioned before I don't mind a little tinkering.

Interesting though a little further down, Facebook gave another guy a 24 hour ban because he posted a picture of Index controllers next to his G2 which it's AI thought was a picture of guns. I presume any ban like that would stop a user using their Oculus headset.

RuneSR2 said:
    kojack said:
    RedRizla said:

Interesing though a little further down, Facebook gave another guy a 24 hour ban because he posted a picture of Index controllers next to his G2 which it's AI thought was a picture of guns. I presume any ban like that would stop a user using their Oculus headset.

In 2020 you do not play the game  with FB Oculus, now you are the game.
     ;) 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,333 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    kojack said:
    RedRizla said:

Interesting though a little further down, Facebook gave another guy a 24 hour ban because he posted a picture of Index controllers next to his G2 which it's AI thought was a picture of guns. I presume any ban like that would stop a user using their Oculus headset.

Wow that is bad.  If it can confuse that what would it think of my sinden lightguns?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited November 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    kojack said:
    RedRizla said:

Wow that is bad.  If it can confuse that what would it think of my sinden lightguns?
    Ironic if it banned a user for posting a picture of his Oculus Quest 2. 

Interesting though a little further down, Facebook gave another guy a 24 hour ban because he posted a picture of Index controllers

Yeah, but fair with me, Knuckles often scare me too - totally feels like a weapon in your hand  :D

Street Crime And Gang Violence Concept With Bloody Brass Knuckles Stock  Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

One dude complaing about the vertical banding (pixel inversion) with the G2:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jzaaqx/g2_vertical_banding_problem_column_correction/

Index, Reverb G1 and Rift-S have it too (horizontal on Rift-S), but not all can see it. In one case, an Index user simply couldn't see it, while another could easily see it - using the same hmd. 
    It's my main problem with lcd, but the banding may differ between hmds and colors. I never noticed it in Alyx though, simple games with even colored surfaces may expose it more - and the banding may only appear when moving the hmd. 

edited November 23
    RuneSR2 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jzaaqx/g2_vertical_banding_problem_column_correction/

Index, Reverb G1 and Rift-S have it too (horizontal on Rift-S), but not all can see it. In one case, an Index user simply couldn't see it, while another could easily see it - using the same hmd. 
    It's my main problem with lcd, but the banding may differ between hmds and colors. I never noticed it in Alyx though, simple games with even colored surfaces may expose it more - and the banding may only appear when moving the hmd. 

I think he has a bad headset. He rebooted and it's mostly gone. I don't see any banding on mine for what it's worth but I know it can vary between individuals. He added the below.

[Edit After another reboot the problem is greatly diminished but not gone. Might have nothing to do with the reboot though. Could be a hardware defect. ]

[Edit again - now it has reduced 97% Not sure what gives]

edited November 23
    kojack said:
    RedRizla said:

IDK. Most of the issues I've seen is the room setup always launching and base stations not wanting to power off tho to be fair the base station issue happens to vive and Index sometimes too lol. They think they will be able to fix the room setup issue in advanced open vr settings. I've not read much on the others though. Most seem to have no problem once they get playing but it can require some setup to get going. It's a mixed bag for sure.

Also you can do the same trick as the Vive HMD with the Index HMD or if you're one of the 8 people that have a Cosmos HMD. Don't need dongles.

Here's a good set of instructions from the legend himself... PumkinspiceTruknuts. It's more up to date than the ones MRTV did and also has a troubleshooting section.

Pumpkin doesn't have his G2 yet so this guide may get updated a bit once he works through it himself. These instructions are the ones he used with his O+.

Also if something seems to be legitimately broken, you can either post it on the Open VR advanced settings github or talk to the devs on their discord. https://discord.gg/ZPsJKhtv There's a troubleshooting section there and they can help or tell you if it's known already.

edited November 23
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I think he has a bad headset. He rebooted and it's mostly gone. I don't see any banding on mine for what it's worth but I know it can vary between individuals. He added the below.

[Edit After another reboot the problem is greatly diminished but not gone. Might have nothing to do with the reboot though. Could be a hardware defect. ]

Of course it could be, but being lcd I would be surprised if the G2 does not have any banding. Then again, due to the res and more limited fov the banding may be much harder to see than Index with lenses all dialed in. It takes 6 months to truly know a hmd, let's see how the status is in spring 2021 ;) 

edited November 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Of course it could be, but being lcd I would be surprised if the G2 does not have any banding. Then again, due to the res and more limited fov the banding may be much harder to see than Index with lenses all dialed in. It takes 6 months to truly know a hmd, let's see how the status is in spring 2021 ;) 

I would think banding would be noticeable quickly as most people who have issues with it saw it quickly on other headsets. Also evidence of this is that a guy is already posting about seeing it when it showed up for him lol. I just spent 20 minutes searching for it and I don't see any when moving my head. Considering the guy complaining about it resolved it with a reboot pretty much proves it was a glitch or a bad HMD/Screen issue.
    RuneSR2 said:

Been running my G2 daily for about 10 days now, can't say I have noticed it yet.
    Perhaps it could be there and I am just not perceiving it.
    Don

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 1,044
    Neo
    I wonder if there is a test pattern for banding on YouTube.

If not maybe I will make one and post it here 
    edited November 23
    Here's another vid showing beat saber. I changed the FOV to 120 and moved my mouse cursor off, but somehow it came back to the center when I hit record. Rip

The way the controllers are shaped is great to me for Beat Saber and I'm able to do better than I ever could with Quest while maintaining a traditional grip. Possibly Quest 2 would be better but I would need a lot more time with it. Only thing better for beat saber that I've used is CV1 when the batteries weren't moving in the controller and Index when holding em like light sabers. But everyone's got an opinion lol.