cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 Available Pre-orders UP - November Release Date Confirmed

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Just ordered mine the price is £525 including VAT & Shipping to UK. 

https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,930 REPLIES 1,930

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

RedRizla said:

I just wish a company would come along and make some cheap base
stations
and Oculus touch type controllers that worked independent of all the VR
headsets.  Why do controllers have to be linked to these VR
headsets?
That's what Sixense was aiming for with Stem. A magnetic tracked base station with up to 10 tracking devices (that could be controllers or strapped to your body). It would be headset independent, you put one tracker on the headset and the coordinate systems are automatically synced. They were also working on a developer library for avatar control with variable number of trackers (that also supported non Sixense tracking).
I still wish they actually finished the damn thing and shipped it.
Even if it wasn't better than the later tracking systems, it was headset agnostic.

If HP / Valve decided to allow index controllers to connect up with a G2 officially, would it need extra hardware do you think?

At the moment a lot of the hassle seems to be fooling the index controllers into believing a compatible headset is connected then disconnecting it.

Could they just use the HP G2 technically to calibrate the controllers? I mean it knows where the headset is?

I saw you could use a Vive with base stations 1.0. Interesting as you can pick them up pretty cheap. Didnt quite get from the video(s) if you would need to connect and disconnect the Vive on system boot up everytime after linking the controllers. I wonder if you can link the wands.

I can get full vive setup for 150.00 GBP. Quality of the heaset is irrelevant as its being used effectively as a dongle replacement.

Although it's possible, using G2 with Index controllers is unsupported and may not work (great) for many. Some experiences shared here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/jz7336/reverb_g2_index_controllers_and_the_need_for_a/

True but as mentioned before I don't mind a little tinkering.

Interesting though a little further down, Facebook gave another guy a 24 hour ban because he posted a picture of Index controllers next to his G2 which it's AI thought was a picture of guns. I presume any ban like that would stop a user using their Oculus headset.

Wow that is bad.  If it can confuse that what would it think of my sinden lightguns?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Luciferous
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

kojack said:

RedRizla said:

stations
headsets?
That's what Sixense was aiming for with Stem. A magnetic tracked base station with up to 10 tracking devices (that could be controllers or strapped to your body). It would be headset independent, you put one tracker on the headset and the coordinate systems are automatically synced. They were also working on a developer library for avatar control with variable number of trackers (that also supported non Sixense tracking).
Even if it wasn't better than the later tracking systems, it was headset agnostic.

If HP / Valve decided to allow index controllers to connect up with a G2 officially, would it need extra hardware do you think?

At the moment a lot of the hassle seems to be fooling the index controllers into believing a compatible headset is connected then disconnecting it.

Could they just use the HP G2 technically to calibrate the controllers? I mean it knows where the headset is?

I saw you could use a Vive with base stations 1.0. Interesting as you can pick them up pretty cheap. Didnt quite get from the video(s) if you would need to connect and disconnect the Vive on system boot up everytime after linking the controllers. I wonder if you can link the wands.

I can get full vive setup for 150.00 GBP. Quality of the heaset is irrelevant as its being used effectively as a dongle replacement.

Although it's possible, using G2 with Index controllers is unsupported and may not work (great) for many. Some experiences shared here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/jz7336/reverb_g2_index_controllers_and_the_need_for_a/

True but as mentioned before I don't mind a little tinkering.

Interesting though a little further down, Facebook gave another guy a 24 hour ban because he posted a picture of Index controllers next to his G2 which it's AI thought was a picture of guns. I presume any ban like that would stop a user using their Oculus headset.

Wow that is bad.  If it can confuse that what would it think of my sinden lightguns?

Ironic if it banned a user for posting a picture of his Oculus Quest 2. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Interesting though a little further down, Facebook gave another guy a 24 hour ban because he posted a picture of Index controllers

Yeah, but fair with me, Knuckles often scare me too - totally feels like a weapon in your hand  😄

Street Crime And Gang Violence Concept With Bloody Brass Knuckles Stock  Photo - Download Image Now - iStock

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
One dude complaing about the vertical banding (pixel inversion) with the G2:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jzaaqx/g2_vertical_banding_problem_column_correction/

Index, Reverb G1 and Rift-S have it too (horizontal on Rift-S), but not all can see it. In one case, an Index user simply couldn't see it, while another could easily see it - using the same hmd. 
It's my main problem with lcd, but the banding may differ between hmds and colors. I never noticed it in Alyx though, simple games with even colored surfaces may expose it more - and the banding may only appear when moving the hmd. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/jzaaqx/g2_vertical_banding_problem_column_correction/

Index, Reverb G1 and Rift-S have it too (horizontal on Rift-S), but not all can see it. In one case, an Index user simply couldn't see it, while another could easily see it - using the same hmd. 
It's my main problem with lcd, but the banding may differ between hmds and colors. I never noticed it in Alyx though, simple games with even colored surfaces may expose it more - and the banding may only appear when moving the hmd. 

I think he has a bad headset. He rebooted and it's mostly gone. I don't see any banding on mine for what it's worth but I know it can vary between individuals. He added the below.

[Edit After another reboot the problem is greatly diminished but not
gone. Might have nothing to do with the reboot though. Could be a
hardware defect. ]

[Edit again - now it has reduced 97% Not sure what gives]

pyroth309
Visionary

kojack said:

RedRizla said:

stations
headsets?

IDK. Most of the issues I've seen is the room setup always launching and base stations not wanting to power off tho to be fair the base station issue happens to vive and Index sometimes too lol. They think they will be able to fix the room setup issue in advanced open vr settings. I've not read much on the others though. Most seem to have no problem once they get playing but it can require some setup to get going. It's a mixed bag for sure.

Also you can do the same trick as the Vive HMD with the Index HMD or if you're one of the 8 people that have a Cosmos HMD. Don't need dongles.

Here's a good set of instructions from the legend himself... PumkinspiceTruknuts. It's more up to date than the ones MRTV did and also has a troubleshooting section.

Pumpkin doesn't have his G2 yet so this guide may get updated a bit once he works through it himself. These instructions are the ones he used with his O+.

Also if something seems to be legitimately broken, you can either post it on the Open VR advanced settings github or talk to the devs on their discord. https://discord.gg/ZPsJKhtv There's a troubleshooting section there and they can help or tell you if it's known already.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

I think he has a bad headset. He rebooted and it's mostly gone. I don't see any banding on mine for what it's worth but I know it can vary between individuals. He added the below.

hardware defect. ]

Of course it could be, but being lcd I would be surprised if the G2 does not have any banding. Then again, due to the res and more limited fov the banding may be much harder to see than Index with lenses all dialed in. It takes 6 months to truly know a hmd, let's see how the status is in spring 2021 😉 

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

hardware defect. ]

Of course it could be, but being lcd I would be surprised if the G2 does not have any banding. Then again, due to the res and more limited fov the banding may be much harder to see than Index with lenses all dialed in. It takes 6 months to truly know a hmd, let's see how the status is in spring 2021 😉 

I would think banding would be noticeable quickly as most people who have issues with it saw it quickly on other headsets. Also evidence of this is that a guy is already posting about seeing it when it showed up for him lol. I just spent 20 minutes searching for it and I don't see any when moving my head. Considering the guy complaining about it resolved it with a reboot pretty much proves it was a glitch or a bad HMD/Screen issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Been running my G2 daily for about 10 days now, can't say I have noticed it yet.
Perhaps it could be there and I am just not perceiving it.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
I wonder if there is a test pattern for banding on YouTube.

If not maybe I will make one and post it here