cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Positional Headtracking Demo (Hydra & Rift optional)

drash
Heroic Explorer
Hello!

I took inspiration from tbowren's videos on using a Hydra controller for positional headtracking to throw a simple demo together that lets anyone play with this idea firsthand (up to you if you want to strap a controller to your head or just hold it in your hand).

At the same time, I'm trying to get an idea on how exactly Unity demos and "VR experiences" can be shared with the community in general. I don't have a Rift yet, so I'm hoping the Unity integration is taking care of everything already. My apologies if it doesn't work for you!

Here is a link to Version 2 of the demo:
https://mega.co.nz/#!Q19VXKoB!RfnaVSXNZzeIeU7dJE7oGEwjt5MDYuqGnBYi0SpPyZA (220MB). Also included is the full source code (in the form of a Unity package that can be imported).

If you end up trying it out, please let me know if something doesn't work or if things can be improved from a Rift user experience standpoint. 🙂 If you don't want to download anything, you can just watch a video of the old version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYdIH8nMrY

Thanks!

• Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes yes! Thanks for making this demo! Adding positional tracking is soooo important and I've been looking forward to trying it.

Even though this is a rough setup, it REALLY helps with motion sickness and immersion.

Oh my gosh. I hope there will be many more demos with this integration. You can actually just move around and it's reflected in the game instead of only relying on the sickening controller.

Please make a Tuscany version using this controller setup ASAP if you have the time.

Things:
The positional tracking was exaggerated, not 1 to 1. But I can see instances where this might be a good thing. I know you can adjust the arm length distance in the hydra Tuscany demo.

While I do like having a body in demos, this one was blocking the FOV too much.

Awesome!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would suggest making the body automatically turn when the head turns. This allows you to move around more freely in the world instead of having this big ball and chain in your view that you have to adjust with the controller.

It went back to non-Rift mode sometimes, and it seemed to be triggered when both looking to the side and then rotating the body to match up.

Seriously, I'm more excited about this demo than about the awesome spaceship simulation First Law. This is the first playable Rift demo with positional head tracking (the awesome Tuscany video demonstration was never posted as something we could try ourselves as far I know), which makes it some little part of VR history.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"danworld" wrote:
I would suggest making the body automatically turn when the head turns. This allows you to move around more freely in the world instead of having this big ball and chain in your view that you have to adjust with the controller.

Thanks for this suggestion -- hearing someone call the body rotation a big ball and chain is helpful in understanding that it gets in the way of immersion. 🙂

"danworld" wrote:

It went back to non-Rift mode sometimes, and it seemed to be triggered when both looking to the side and then rotating the body to match up.

I had this happen to me once too -- I found out that I had the Razer Hydra system tray thing going after I accidentally called up some onscreen keyboard. I'm really not sure what happened there but left/right on the controller was sending the backspace key to the app as a keyboard function or something! Killing the Razer system tray thing made the problem go away.

Seriously, I'm more excited about this demo than about the awesome spaceship simulation First Law. This is the first playable Rift demo with positional head tracking (the awesome Tuscany video demonstration was never posted as something we could try ourselves as far I know), which makes it some little part of VR history.

Thank you for saying that 🙂

zaptruder
Protege
Thanks for this. This is a great demo. Definetly helps to improve the sensation of been inside the space...

But one of the bugbears I had about it was simply looking up and down - attaching the hydra to my head, when I look up, the hydra goes down. When I look up, the hydra goes up. It actually ends up exacerbating some of the issues that positional tracking is intended to correct. But when it works... it works brilliantly. Can't wait for Oculus to release the positional tracker/tracking version of the Rift.

SiggiG
Protege
Thanks for this demo, it was great to have something to try out when I got my Hydra 🙂

One feedback I'd like to give you is to look at your scaling. I felt like a 10 meter high giant that was flying through the air when bending down or moving at all.
If you are using Unity then generally 1 unit = 1 meter.
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG

drash
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for the solid feedback zaptruder and Siggi, I guess I'll just have to leave this demo here as a good example of what NOT to do huh? 🙂

Zap, I guess it's true what I've read that it's better to put a positional tracking Hydra controller on your chest rather than on your headband. Now I understand why!