cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember Chronos? Well here's Chronos Before the Ashes Gameplay in 2D

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Remember that lovely Gunfire Games VR game "Chronos" for Oculus CV1. I think most people who played it agreed it was pretty decent and a neat showcase for how third-person games can work well in VR. Gunfire, will release the same game for pancake 2D gamers on consoles and PC next month. If you're interested, here's how it looks on PC using the max settings and 4K resolution. I wonder if you'll get much nostalgia from this?

In my opinion though, despite looking fairly crisp, the 2D version doesn't begin to compare to the VR game. You can still get immersed in this souls-like game on desktop, but I find you lose the sense of scale and just being inside the game VR affords. Either way, don't y'all think it's interesting that a VR game gets the reverse treatment when usually it's the other way around. What's next, an official Half-Life Alyx (yeh I am aware modders made a 2D version) on desktop PC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlbdTR_IjzE

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aw bugger. I was hoping they were going to release a VR version ☹?☹

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

It's the exact same game and I believe Chronos works well with Revive still. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

It's the exact same game and I believe Chronos works well with Revive still. 

Chronos works perfectly with Revive - and is of course still available for PCVR in the Oculus Store.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
I have to revisit Chronos VR...haven't tried it yet in Revive...hoping it does work in my system as I do have a few games that won't work in Revive when they should.

I remember reading a while back that Valve decided they won't do a desktop version of Alyx due to certain aspects of the game not being properly doable outside of VR. I guess the modders figured differently...

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

saami81
Rising Star

I remember reading a while back that Valve decided they won't do a desktop version of Alyx due to certain aspects of the game not being properly doable outside of VR. I guess the modders figured differently...

Which one were right? I have not played modded pancake version. Is it good and as playable as a 50 dollar game should be?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Easily one of my favorite experiences in VR to-date. This was my first immersed RPG experience. Chronos helped me fall in love with VR straight away. It feels odd to talk so nostalgic considering that we're about to enter 2021 and Chronos impacted me back in 2016. It's crazy how time flies!

But yeah, poopoo in the sandwiches of the devs for now making this follow-up title VR-ready.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Easily one of my favorite experiences in VR to-date. This was my first immersed RPG experience. Chronos helped me fall in love with VR straight away. It feels odd to talk so nostalgic considering that we're about to enter 2021 and Chronos impacted me back in 2016. It's crazy how time flies!

But yeah, poopoo in the sandwiches of the devs for now making this follow-up title VR-ready.

Apparently it's not a follow up title, it's a flat port of the VR game. I thought it was a follow up too! 

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

saami81 said:

Which one were right? I have not played modded pancake version. Is it good and as playable as a 50 dollar game should be?

I haven't played the pancake either...and probably won't. VR is definitely the choice to play though...a totally worth the money spent.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@Shadowmask72 - I think this has more to do with money. Whether it's a situation like with Lucky's Tale, where they made the sequel in 2D only, or a situation like this one where the VR version was remade to standard 2D... it's all about the dev's needing to earn some profits.

Despite how well VR has been doing, including the successful sales numbers of both Quest and Index, the fact is that the profit margins are slim pickings. It's well documented that Alyx barely broke even at best. Hopefully the Quest 2 sales will help push it in to some positive margins, but I can only imagine how little money Chronos for VR made. Any profits came from the funding that Facebook provided directly.

Going in to 2021, all VR dev studios face serious challenges yielding any profits if they are relying on sales alone. Having a 2D version is an incredibly smart financial move.

Hell, if they would bring this to the mobile platform then they can make a killing!