cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Oculus Link

• Fixed numerous black screen issues that could prevent you from being able to use Oculus Link.
  • Fixed an issue where the new graphics settings in the Oculus desktop app weren’t showing for some people.
51 Comments
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I've been leaving mine on beta v23 for the last 5 days expecting it to go v23 final (although everything was working fine with my Q1 and Link and my PTC v23 showed up the graphics setting fine).  So, I was pretty surprised to see it update to PTC v24.0.0.22.393 today.  Anyway, I tested a few Oculus, Steam, and independent (X Plane 11) apps with my Q1/Link and all seems to work fine.
CactusCowboy
Adventurer
Things I wish for:

• Less power consumption when Oculus Software is open but headset is idle or Quest in standby
  • Quest2 Audio and Microphone stays on when Link is enabled but headset in standby
  • Paththrough on Quest while on links should not mute audio and microphone!

All of those are equally important and would improve the experience (and electrical bill) temendously.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Things I wish for:

• Less power consumption when Oculus Software is open but headset is idle or Quest in standby
  • Quest2 Audio and Microphone stays on when Link is enabled but headset in standby
  • Paththrough on Quest while on links should not mute audio and microphone!

All of those are equally important and would improve the experience (and electrical bill) temendously.

None seem to effect the Q1 so maybe it just needs a Q2 fix.
Mr_John
Honored Guest
I'm still seeing black screen issues with Link with a Quest 2 - anyone else also having troubles?
Anonymous
Not applicable
please anyone reply and help me i cant use the oculus link because it keeps saying there is a recommended update for the link software and to go to the about section and update but there is no update:((((((((((((((
Reaper0fVR
Honored Guest
Same issues here... I plug in the link cable and try to enable Oculus Link it just kept crashing saying “Link available in settings”. Seems to try to start Link then crashes. I'm using the official link cable and have v23 on quest 2 right now
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll post this here also, because the problem persist with PTC v24
---
Don't know if this is "by design" or a failure in v23 Desktop-App: static resolution for Link with Quest2!
(the changes in Hz are working flawless, but eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920)

On wendsday I've received the v23 desktop-app (retail channel)... I've thought, the problem may vanish with it, also existed in v23 PTC. So with the Quest1 everything is fine... resolution change results in a consistant change of the "eye buffer" in the headset (see OVRMetricsTool v1.5.1). Also seen with the great wireless tool VirtualDesktopMobile low/medium/high changes the eye buffer in the HMD and 1:1 in SteamVR. Never seen such a sharp/clean image in SteamVR with the original Quest!

But not so with the Quest 2... OK, VirtualDesktopMobile does the same... with higher resultions compared to Q1 and the additional 60Hz compared to link for Q1/2. Works like a charme, also with 80Hz or 90Hz. But Link doesn't... the eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920 which itself is nice, because it's the native resolution of the headset. But regardless of what you set in the Desktop App... it stays at that eye buffer and you see only marginal differences. But workload of the graphics card and also latency rising... don't misunderstand: the quality of link is much improved compared to v21 Desktop-App (eye buffer and Link fixed to 1440x1520@72Hz and 2064x2272@72Hz with Quest1), but it could be much better, if you look at the visual results with the original Quest.

On the application side (games etc.), everthing seems right... 
On the headset everything seems right (look at VirtualDesktopMobile or SKYBOX for expl.)...
But Link with Desktop-App v23 does "strange things" with the eye buffer on Quest 2 only!

Thank's in advance!

And sorry for my bad english...
:blush: 

P.S.: also tried all tests with newly installed os, desktop app and factory resetted quest2... with same results.
Just tried the Oculus-App-Version 24.0.0.22.393 (PTC) - same results.

P.P.S.: switching between PTC and retail (v23 to v24 an back) are much faster now... thx@oculus!
nalex66
MVP
MVP

Buetigame said:

I'll post this here also, because the problem persist with PTC v24
---
Don't know if this is "by design" or a failure in v23 Desktop-App: static resolution for Link with Quest2!
(the changes in Hz are working flawless, but eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920)

On wendsday I've received the v23 desktop-app (retail channel)... I've thought, the problem may vanish with it, also existed in v23 PTC. So with the Quest1 everything is fine... resolution change results in a consistant change of the "eye buffer" in the headset (see OVRMetricsTool v1.5.1). Also seen with the great wireless tool VirtualDesktopMobile low/medium/high changes the eye buffer in the HMD and 1:1 in SteamVR. Never seen such a sharp/clean image in SteamVR with the original Quest!

But not so with the Quest 2... OK, VirtualDesktopMobile does the same... with higher resultions compared to Q1 and the additional 60Hz compared to link for Q1/2. Works like a charme, also with 80Hz or 90Hz. But Link doesn't... the eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920 which itself is nice, because it's the native resolution of the headset. But regardless of what you set in the Desktop App... it stays at that eye buffer and you see only marginal differences. But workload of the graphics card and also latency rising... don't misunderstand: the quality of link is much improved compared to v21 Desktop-App (eye buffer and Link fixed to 1440x1520@72Hz and 2064x2272@72Hz with Quest1), but it could be much better, if you look at the visual results with the original Quest.

On the application side (games etc.), everthing seems right... 
On the headset everything seems right (look at VirtualDesktopMobile or SKYBOX for expl.)...
But Link with Desktop-App v23 does "strange things" with the eye buffer on Quest 2 only!

Thank's in advance!

And sorry for my bad english...
:blush: 

P.S.: also tried all tests with newly installed os, desktop app and factory resetted quest2... with same results.
Just tried the Oculus-App-Version 24.0.0.22.393 (PTC) - same results.

P.P.S.: switching between PTC and retail (v23 to v24 an back) are much faster now... thx@oculus!

I think what's happening there is, you're perhaps seeing the encode resolution after compression being reported as the eyebox size on OVRMetricsTool. The image from the game is rendered at the resolution set in the Devices/Quest 2 panel in the PC app, but then during the encoding process, the peripheral parts of the image are compressed to bring the image size to 3664x1920 (3664 is the default encode resolution width for Quest 2). It seems like they're doing all the barrel distortion and image reduction prior to encoding and sending the image to the headset, so the headset just has to decode and display an image sized for the screen resolution.

You could verify that by changing the encode resolution width in the debug tool and see if that changes the eyebox size that OVRMetricsTool reports.
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@nalex66  Thanks for your always useful tech knowledge.  I gotta be honest and say that much of this is beyond what I can understand, lol!

All I can do is monitor a few performance graphs using OTT hud options and of course see if I can visually see any differences.  One thing I'd like to know is whether or not the Quest 1 is actually limited to 150mbps bitrate.  I have read that this was the case due to its mobile chip limitations.  However, when I play around with bitrate I seem to notice a nice improvement visually (clearer with fewer artifacts) when I increase it from 150 to 250, and a little better at 350.  It does not seem to effect performance (fps) so for now I've just left it at max = 500mbps.  I'm starting to wonder if the bitrate limitation with Link is more dependent on your GPU (1080ti in my case).  Are there any simple to use tools to actually verify this or not?  Thanks mate.
Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Buetigame said:

I think what's happening there is, you're perhaps seeing the encode resolution after compression being reported as the eyebox size on OVRMetricsTool. The image from the game is rendered at the resolution set in the Devices/Quest 2 panel in the PC app, but then during the encoding process, the peripheral parts of the image are compressed to bring the image size to 3664x1920 (3664 is the default encode resolution width for Quest 2). It seems like they're doing all the barrel distortion and image reduction prior to encoding and sending the image to the headset, so the headset just has to decode and display an image sized for the screen resolution.

You could verify that by changing the encode resolution width in the debug tool and see if that changes the eyebox size that OVRMetricsTool reports.

@nalex66 Nice to see that there is someone out there who understands the circumstances...
Your are totally right... a change to encode resolution witdh with ODT, changes the eye buffer 1:1.

But the behaviour, you've noted makes no sense to the fact, that with the the Quest1 everyting works like it shoud. Also VirtualDesktopMobile does this "right"... sending the rendering resoultion direktly to the Quest 1&2, so the only thing to do on the device is a downsampling... beside the decoding of course. And both, XR1.5 and XR2, doing this very good!

Look at these examples for Quest 2:
  • native Home 1440x1584@90Hz (i.e. 2880x1584 of course 😉
  • SKYBOX VR 2160x2376@72Hz
  • Amazon Prime VR: 2116x2218@72Hz - 1728x1901@72Hz (lights off)
  • YouTube SKYBOX VR: 2116x2218@60Hz
And now look at Link... AppRes vs. EB (eye buffer) vs. SteamVR

Quest 1:
  • 3104x1712@72Hz > 1568x1728@72Hz > 1568x1728@72Hz (0.9)
  • 3616x2000@72Hz > 1808x2000@72Hz > 1808x2000@72Hz (1.0)
  • 4128x2272@72Hz > 2064x2272@72Hz > 2064x2272@72Hz (1.1)
Quest 2:
  • 3696x1872@90Hz > 1832x1920@90Hz > 1856x1872@90Hz (1.0 for 90Hz)
  • 3920x1984@80Hz > 1832x1920@80Hz > 1968x1984@80Hz (1.0 for 80Hz)
  • 4128x2096@72Hz > 1832x1920@72Hz > 2064x2096@72Hz (1.0 for 72Hz)
Do you know, what I mean?
The higher the frequency, the lower the resolution.

This only makes sense, if you try to adjust the amount of tranferred data to the device...
Keeping the redering load on the PC on the same level if you change the frequency? No... makes no sense.
Reducing the amount of data when lowering the frequency? Maybe... but why with Q2 and not with Q1?

And keep in mind: Virtual Desktop Mobile does everything right - you'll see it with your eyes.
(designed to be used wireless in battery mode only) 

With all this in mind, the circumstances speak for themselves... this must be a bug.
Why shoul I reduce the workload on the much more powerful device?
(while it's wired and charged when in use!)

The most bad thing about this: it reduces visual quality!
Very strange and hopefully can be "fixed".
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nalex66 Sorry but this makes no sense.

(writing this again because the original post vanished)

They try to lower the workload on the device, which is much more powerful than
it's predecessor?

The devices only decode the bitstream and do up-/downsampling to the native
resolution.

No need do any rendering or such...

In short for the two devices based on XR1.5 and XR2.

Quest 1 fixed at 72Hz

• DesktopApp
    > EyeBuffer/SteamVR

• 3104 x 1712
    > 1568 x 1728 (0.9)

• 3616 x 2000
    > 1808 x 2000 (1.0)

• 4128 x 2272
    > 2064 x 2272 (1.1)

• 4708 x 2592
    > 2368 x 2592 (1.2)

• 5408 x 2976
    > 2704 x 2976 (1.3) 

Quest 2 with fixed EyeBuffer at
1832x1920

• DesktopApp
    > SteamVR

• 3696 x 1872
    > 1856 x 1872 (1.0 @90Hz)

• 3920 x 1984
    > 1968 x 1984 (1.0 @80Hz)

• 4128 x 2096
    > 2064 x 2096 (1.0 @72Hz) 

The higher the frequency, the lower the
resolution.

In order to keep the workload the same for the PC? Why?

In order to reduce the transmitted data to the device? Maybe... but why for Q2
and not Q1?

Most bad about this: It results in a markable loss of visual quality.

And it doesn't reduce the workoad to the PC which have to do all the work for
rendering at (very) high resolutions.

Now look at Virtual Desktop Mobile.

Quest 1 with Home at 1216 x 1344 @
60/72Hz (1:1 for  AppRes/EyeBuffer/SteamVR)

• 1536 x 1728 =
    low

• 1824 x 2016 =
    medium

• 2208 x 2400 =
    high

Quest 2 with Home at 1880 x 1970 @
60/72/80/90Hz (1:1 for  AppRes/EyeBuffer/SteamVR)

• 1728 x 1824 =
    low

• 2016 x 2112 =
    medium

• 2496 x 2592 =
    high

If you put all of this together: this
must be a bug!

Hopefully they'll fix this soon.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@Buetigame  Nice analysis.  All above my pay grade but it certainly looks like while Oculus is gifting the choice of 72/80/90Hz refresh rates for the Q2 with Link, they appear to force a drop in resolution as the the refresh rate is increased.  Maybe this is to help maintain performance and battery life?  Who knows?  It would be nice if an Oculus tech guy would chime in and explain all this.
Xarstealth
Protege
is this still rift forum section? LOL
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

is this still rift forum section? LOL

Sharing the luv, that's all, lol!
Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

@Buetigame  Nice analysis.  All above my pay grade but it certainly looks like while Oculus is gifting the choice of 72/80/90Hz refresh rates for the Q2 with Link, they appear to force a drop in resolution as the the refresh rate is increased.  Maybe this is to help maintain performance and battery life?  Who knows?  It would be nice if an Oculus tech guy would chime in and explain all this.

That would be great... really!

Yes it seems, there are some performance related implementations to the Quest2.
Sadly, you can't find any specific information about that.

P.S.: both Posts are there now... the vanished one and also the last... terrific
Daws-ITA
Expert Protege

Buetigame said:

nalex66 said:

Buetigame said:

@nalex66 Nice to see that there is someone out there who understands the circumstances...
Your are totally right... a change to encode resolution witdh with ODT, changes the eye buffer 1:1.

But the behaviour, you've noted makes no sense to the fact, that with the the Quest1 everyting works like it shoud. Also VirtualDesktopMobile does this "right"... sending the rendering resoultion direktly to the Quest 1&2, so the only thing to do on the device is a downsampling... beside the decoding of course. And both, XR1.5 and XR2, doing this very good!

Look at these examples for Quest 2:
  • native Home 1440x1584@90Hz (i.e. 2880x1584 of course 😉
  • SKYBOX VR 2160x2376@72Hz
  • Amazon Prime VR: 2116x2218@72Hz - 1728x1901@72Hz (lights off)
  • YouTube SKYBOX VR: 2116x2218@60Hz
And now look at Link... AppRes vs. EB (eye buffer) vs. SteamVR

Quest 1:
  • 3104x1712@72Hz > 1568x1728@72Hz > 1568x1728@72Hz (0.9)
  • 3616x2000@72Hz > 1808x2000@72Hz > 1808x2000@72Hz (1.0)
  • 4128x2272@72Hz > 2064x2272@72Hz > 2064x2272@72Hz (1.1)
Quest 2:
  • 3696x1872@90Hz > 1832x1920@90Hz > 1856x1872@90Hz (1.0 for 90Hz)
  • 3920x1984@80Hz > 1832x1920@80Hz > 1968x1984@80Hz (1.0 for 80Hz)
  • 4128x2096@72Hz > 1832x1920@72Hz > 2064x2096@72Hz (1.0 for 72Hz)
Do you know, what I mean?
The higher the frequency, the lower the resolution.

This only makes sense, if you try to adjust the amount of tranferred data to the device...
Keeping the redering load on the PC on the same level if you change the frequency? No... makes no sense.
Reducing the amount of data when lowering the frequency? Maybe... but why with Q2 and not with Q1?

And keep in mind: Virtual Desktop Mobile does everything right - you'll see it with your eyes.
(designed to be used wireless in battery mode only) 

With all this in mind, the circumstances speak for themselves... this must be a bug.
Why shoul I reduce the workload on the much more powerful device?
(while it's wired and charged when in use!)

The most bad thing about this: it reduces visual quality!
Very strange and hopefully can be "fixed".

I understand your concern, and I saw what you mean. Indeed when Quest2 was in V21 and desktop was in V23 the eye buffer changes based on what the desktop client slider changes.
So this suddenly changes in Q2 V23 linked to desktop V23, with the ability to use the 90hz.

So I can tell: we don't know what actually changed in the internal Q2 v23 rendering process.

Internally the Q2 do a AADT rectification, apply ATW, apply barrell distortion (@nalex66 no way the barrel distortion will be done on PC side, you'll totally loose the benefit of ATW).
I think due to the need of 90Hz mode they change something in the internal process, I remember something related to sincronizzation of the sx and dx part of the display to avoid flickering, so what probably OVR metrics show now is the end result of this process: the pixel size of the Q2 display, we don't really know.

The Q1 is different, it still on 72hz so this "extra magic code" is not needed.
Same for VD, it's actually a Quest app, and it uses different pre-post distortion technique, and internally you can set what you want as Eye Buffer.

So I think this "missing" OVR metric eye butffer values, is not a bug, as in V23 Q2/PC  the final image quality is really improved, and on par if not better than VD in HIGH.
Anonymous
Not applicable
@daws72 - Great... that's the point (or "the points") to talk about!
And yes, with Q2@v21 and Desktop@v23PTC the device behaved different.
This is the exact reason, why Q1@v20 behave like before and Q2@v23 don't.

So the firmware with "the magic code" within the rendering pipeline is the main problem.
I'll get in research to AADT, ATW & barrel distortion and come back to this later.

Really thank you so much for your supply!

PattyGar1965
Protege
I was having a lot of problems with v23. This update fix a lot of problems for me
TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I was having a lot of problems with v23. This update fix a lot of problems for me

Running a simple Repair with v23 may have done the same.  I personally did not see any improvements with v24 ptc so I unchecked the beta box and rolled back to v23.  For some reason it now works better than ever.  Go figure?
PattyGar1965
Protege
I did run repair. I don't have the same computer as you. Maybe that's why I see an improvement. 
ShocksVR
Superstar
I sent a detailed feedback report using the Feedback Tool, but I'll echo my issue here:

When opting into PTC v24, Link ceases to function for me. When in the Rift PC software, my Quest2 still registers and has a green checkmark. But if I try a USB speed test, or when I try to launch Link from my QUest2, I get a 'PC/Q2 not detected' error.  I'm using a 3rd party cable (OQLink 13ft')

Rolling back to v23 enables Link to function as it normally does.

Thanks !
philneitz
Protege

ShocksVR said:

I sent a detailed feedback report using the Feedback Tool, but I'll echo my issue here:

When opting into PTC v24, Link ceases to function for me. When in the Rift PC software, my Quest2 still registers and has a green checkmark. But if I try a USB speed test, or when I try to launch Link from my QUest2, I get a 'PC/Q2 not detected' error.  I'm using a 3rd party cable (OQLink 13ft')

Rolling back to v23 enables Link to function as it normally does.

Thanks !

Same for me 
ageofwar666
Protege
Don't know what you was trying to fix with this but ever since I installed this version Oculus app has been complaining there is no audio from the headset until I disconnect the USB and reconnect it, it was fine under v23. I'm using a Rift s
Richooal
Consultant

Don't know what you was trying to fix with this but ever since I installed this version Oculus app has been complaining there is no audio from the headset until I disconnect the USB and reconnect it, it was fine under v23. I'm using a Rift s

Generally, they're not trying to fix anything. This is a "Test" version for the next release.
As always, if you find a problem, use the "Help Centre" to give feedback.

q9l58eye6cgd.jpg
ageofwar666
Protege

Richooal said:

Generally, they're not trying to fix anything. This is a "Test" version for the next release.
As always, if you find a problem, use the "Help Centre" to give feedback.

q9l58eye6cgd.jpg

Someone missed the point.
it seems every time Oculus fixes something/add functions for Quest/Qest2 it breaks Rift/Rift s functions which is the whole point of test version to find out these things 
TonyKabooch
Honored Guest

Oculus Link

• Fixed numerous black screen issues that could prevent you from being able to use Oculus Link.
  • Fixed an issue where the new graphics settings in the Oculus desktop app weren’t showing for some people.

Will there be an update that will allow us to go past 500 bitrate in the debug tool? I still notice compression at higher resolutions on the Quest 2 at a distance.
tanubon
Heroic Explorer
500Mbps. But actual max bitrate is 288Mbps now. And even if we use high bitrate, color banding? is very noticeable.

I want more encode resolusion width. It makes big difference.
h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
It looks like that changing this setting does nothing. I can not notice any difference...
tanubon
Heroic Explorer
It makes clear difference in complex scene. We can see difference even link home. Let's look at forest. There are many noises on default setting. But higher setting, we can see each tree object clearly.
MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer
Anyone checked Bluetooth?
Last iteration of v23 introduced a BT bug for me.
Makes sound on Ironlights very delayed and makes blocks in Beatsaber lag/missed frames.
JLB768
Explorer
Any idea when 24 will go mainstream?
artscout
Protege

tanubon said:

500Mbps. But actual max bitrate is 288Mbps now. And even if we use high bitrate, color banding? is very noticeable.

Did you try to set it beyond 3664 in ODT? I didn't but is it even possible?
Richooal
Consultant

JLB768 said:

I don't understand why it makes any difference.
If you want it now, you can have it. If you don't, you're going to get it anyway. May as well join the PTC now.
Dyld0
Honored Guest

Richooal said:

JLB768 said:

If you want it now, you can have it. If you don't, you're going to get it anyway. May as well join the PTC now.

It makes a difference because v23 has prevented some users from running the Link, in v24 it has been said to supposedly fix this issue. How do you get v24 now?
tanubon
Heroic Explorer

artscout said:

tanubon said:

Did you try to set it beyond 3664 in ODT? I didn't but is it even possible?

Currently max is 4080. 
Richooal
Consultant

Dyld0 said:

Richooal said:

JLB768 said:

It makes a difference because v23 has prevented some users from running the Link, in v24 it has been said to supposedly fix this issue. How do you get v24 now?

Just join the PTC..................
h2dh9mkeuwxl.jpg
vilius_judeikis
Honored Guest

Oculus Link

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

chert1024VR
Protege
The good thing about using the v24 PTC is that it may already include proper support and detection for both Nvidia's and AMD's newest graphics cards like the RTX 30x0-series and the RX 6000 series. The current V23 of the Oculus app came out before these new graphics cards were released.
markwest76
Expert Protege
Playing the game "Moss" with v24 PTC I see from time to time very small green dots on the screen that I didn't notice on official v23
Another thing that I noticed is that the automatic graphic setting resolution in v23 was 4200x2200 (that imho my RTX 2060 Super could handle perfectly even in heavy games like "Saint & Sinners"), so I don't understand why in v24 is set to 3600x2000, but that's not a real problem at all...
Richooal
Consultant

Playing the game "Moss" with v24 PTC I see from time to time very small green dots on the screen that I didn't notice on official v23
Another thing that I noticed is that the automatic graphic setting resolution in v23 was 4200x2200 (that imho my RTX 2060 Super could handle perfectly even in heavy games like "Saint & Sinners"), so I don't understand why in v24 is set to 3600x2000, but that's not a real problem at all...

I can't see those things you're talking about in my Rift, maybe you're using one of those Quest device things?
Don't they have threads for those, and that "link" thing?

markwest76
Expert Protege

Richooal said:

I can't see those things you're talking about in my Rift, maybe you're using one of those Quest device things?
Don't they have threads for those, and that "link" thing?

yep, sorry forgot to say that I'm using Quest 1 with link...
chert1024VR
Protege
Oculus PC App is now v25 @ the PTC. Anybody have release notes about this detailing the improvements and issues solved?

Ok. we already have a separate thread for this.  https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/97362/i-got-oculus-pc-app-ptc-v25-now-what-is-updated#latest
philneitz
Protege
They really should release the changelog that moment the PTC gets an update.....
kojack
MVP
MVP
It's around 2:41am for ShowbizDonkey, give him a chance to wake up.

tanubon
Heroic Explorer
Probably small fix.  😞

I hope they will break the limitation of encode resolusion of link.
huliqan
Adventurer
Why I can't start downlowds?  button "down" not works :(((vbpd7g9tfwrr.png
ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

kojack said:

It's around 2:41am for ShowbizDonkey, give him a chance to wake up.

That's on me - sleeping on the job again! ::smile:  v25 PTC release notes are now live here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/97392/v25-ptc-pc-software-release-notes
huliqan
Adventurer
v25 PTC broken. Who have v24 ? I need it!!!
huliqan
Adventurer

huliqan said:

Himself Found 🙂
michal-opole
Honored Guest

huliqan said:

huliqan said:

Himself Found 🙂

How? Where? 🙂