cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest randomly disconnecting from PC

Muttster
Honored Guest
Alright to walk this through step by step, I load up my Quest (I don't know if the size matters but the 32 GB one but I play through the PC), set my boundary, reset my view so I'm centered, and then plug my Quest into my PC via a 3rd party link cable. I enable the transfer of data between my Quest and my PC and click Enable Link or whatever the little button on the taskbar in Quest OS says to launch me to my desktop (stopped paying attention to what it said long ago. I just know rectangle next to status of my devices put me in happy place). Once that's set and loaded, I click the VR button on Steam to load into Steam VR. Once I'm in, I select what game I want to play and bam here we go.

So this started happening about a week ago but I'll just be mid game and suddenly my vision will go black for like half of a second and suddenly I'm looking at the Quest menu. Not like the Oculus software on my PC. Like as if I'm not linked to my PC but the button will pop back up like not even a second later to enable link again. Now if I could just click the button and be put right back to where I was, I'd be like okay whatever that's a dumb little hiccup. Instead, I have to pull the headset up, take off the controllers, navigate my PC, and click the Steam prompt to either quit or restart Steam VR because my device was disconnected. At first I thought this was maybe just crashes but I will see on one of my monitors my game still running happily, even my friends waving in my face wondering where the hell I went but my HMD won't display anything, not even the Oculus Home software, I can't press the Oculus button to bring up the taskbar, just no interaction.

So I have to click restart Steam VR, wait for that to load, my headset to start displaying things, load my game up, rejoin my friends and it'll happen again in some arbitrary amount of time, not usually more than 15 minutes is when it can happen again and I assume you get it's frustrating.

Like is something wrong with my HMD? I tried a couple spare cables I have lying around and all give me the same result. Just half of an hour ago, I even tried wrapping the cable around my neck (I absolutely strangled myself trying that lmao) and leaving some slack for the connection to the cable and played very gently but it just did all of that again where it blacked out for half of a second and popped me back up to the Quest OS menu, with the enable link button popping up quickly after.

I'm really not sure what changed from the point of purchase to a week ago when I started having issues. Software update? Oculus being more egregious with pushing their $80 cable when a regular 3rd party cable was working just fine up until this point? I just wanna play some damn VR games with friends. Any suggestions for things to try would be appreciated, or if anyone knows exactly what's going on, I'd love to know so I can hopefully get back to playing.

Thank you!
95 REPLIES 95

Buffalmacco
Explorer
maybe i've got the solution!
  1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Click on Hardware and Sound.
  3. Click on Power Options.
  4. Under "Preferred plan," click the Change plan settings link for the plan you're currently using.
  5. Click the Change advanced power settings link.
  6. Expand USB settings.
  7. Expand USB selective suspend setting.
  8. Make sure this is disabled.

Once those are complete:

• Right click the Start menu and select Device Manager.
  • Scroll down and open the USB (Universal Serial Bus) section.

After you are in the USB section complete each step below for each USB item:

1. Right click the first option and select Update.
  2. Wait for this to finish.
  3. Right click the first option and select Properties.
  4. Open the Power Management tab, and uncheck the "Allow this device to turn off" box.
Restart your pc at the end. I tried a little before going to work, and it lasted longer than ever. I will try more this afternoon. 

pch4n
Honored Guest
@Buffalmacco
I have disabled the power management of the USB ports. It lasts indeed a lot longer than before! However, it still disconnected the Oculus Link after 20 minutes

Buffalmacco
Explorer
@pch4n
I've tried oculus link for something like half an hour/45 minutes, it all went good. Certanly better than the 2 minutes i can play previously :smile: . I don't know do you wanna try some external usb port with power connection? (can't post amazon link to show you an example)

Razuel
Explorer
My issue was AMD drivers, reverting to September's whql did the fix. Though I could not connect even. Maybe it will help here.

TwixHazie
Honored Guest
For those that have a nvidia graphics card try to turn off in game overlay in geforce experience this fixed it for me! 

Dimiisback
Honored Guest
ive been talking to customer support for a straight week now trying to get this problem resolved. it doesnt really seem like they know whats going on at all with this.

xkathiax
Honored Guest

TwixHazie said:

For those that have a nvidia graphics card try to turn off in game overlay in geforce experience this fixed it for me! 

how do you disconnect it ?

TwixHazie
Honored Guest

xkathiax said:

TwixHazie said:

how do you disconnect it ?

First open geforce experience
 when you have that open click on the settings wheel on the top right
When you have the settings open you will see in game overlay if the bar on the right of it is green click it to disable it 

Hope my not so great explanation helped 

eblavender
Honored Guest

Official Response #1 from Oculus.

·       Tried a different USB
3 ports.

·       Re-seat the cable on
both ends.

·       Ensure up-to-date
graphics and USB drivers:

·       https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012609/windows-10-fix-usb-c-problems

·       https://support.oculus.com/1802104516741690

·       Ensure USB power saver
settings in Windows Device Manager are not enabled

right-click the Start
button and open Device Manager

find your USB ports

right-click and select
Properties

go to Power Management

make sure that options
to save power are deselected (please note that it is normal that some of them
will not have any checkbox for power saving settings).

·       Make sure your laptop
is plugged when using link.

Ensure the port the headset
is connected to, is running through the primary GPU and not integrated.

Official Response #2 (None of the above worked for me):

·       Repair Oculus Home,
follow this steps by clicking here.

·       Manually re-install
Oculus Home. follow these steps below:

Disconnect your
computer from the internet.

Backup any necessary
content.

·       You can find steps on
how to do so by clicking
here

Reboot into Safe Mode.

Uninstall Oculus Home
using the Control Panel.

Delete all Oculus
folders from the following folder:

·       C:\Program Files

Remove any Oculus
folders from the following locations:

·       C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData

·       C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local

·       C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow

·       C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming

·       C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache

Restart your computer
in normal mode.

Reconnect your
computer to the internet.

Install Oculus Home
again using the setup tool from our website here.

pch4n
Honored Guest
UPDATE: I managed to circumvent the problem by plugging my Quest 2 into USB 3.0 A port and it worked without disconnecting. However, the USB C one still disconnects frequently even after power management adjustments. This results that I still cannot use the Oculus Link cable that I bought.