cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Strap Battery discharging if left plugged into Quest 2 Headset

AndiiMan
Explorer
Following a full charge, my Elite Strap Battery Pack is going down by about 24% a day if left plugged into the Headset, despite a hard turn-off. The Headset stays at 100%. If however the strap is not connected, both batteries stay at 100% until used, so something is draining the strap battery when it is connected.
I wouldn't have thought it to be necessary to have to unplug the strap after each use, so there must be a fault somewhere.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
66 REPLIES 66

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Every battery strap got this behaviour. Pluging it in triggers the constant charging procedure of the main battery. Only thing left is to unplug it while not in use. 
You also will notice that if both are at 100% and you use your Quest main battery will first unload to 80% till the battery pack will kick in. That's due to its battery management...
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

StormRacer1984
Honored Guest

h.r.gargi said:

Every battery strap got this behaviour. Pluging it in triggers the constant charging procedure of the main battery. Only thing left is to unplug it while not in use. 
You also will notice that if both are at 100% and you use your Quest main battery will first unload to 80% till the battery pack will kick in. That's due to its battery management...

This isn't true at all. Many people are reporting not having this issue, and Oculus Support is saying this isn't intended behaviour. 

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Really? All people I know having this strap have that behaviour. Well if the support say so try to replace it and let me know if the new one is different. I say no ?
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

NosePunch
Adventurer
I'm having this same issue if I leave the strap battery plugged in.  I'm thinking that the Oculus support person who said this isn't the intended behavior, doesn't have the correct information.  

imraxus
Explorer
Did you turn off your OQ2? Or just put it to sleep? 

NosePunch
Adventurer
Doesn't matter if the Quest 2 is in sleep mode or completely turned off, the strap battery will still drain trying to keep the Quest battery charged.  The only way to stop this is to unplug the strap battery from the headset.

AndiiMan
Explorer
No reply from Oculus to my email to Support enquiring about this, and my son has just bought a Quest 2, and the battery pack also drains fast if left plugged in to his. I can understand that the battery pack would charge the headset if the headset was below 100%, but there should be some sort of software fix to break the link when the headset is full. Where is this power going if everything is fully off? Surely this would ruin the headset battery if left plugged in once fully discharged to zero

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've has exactly the same issue and after c. 2 weeks they've now issued an RMA to replace it. It will be interesting to see if the replacement performs any differently, but my hunch is that it won't. This seems to me to be some kind of of hardware/firmware fault. Effectively the Oculus is a glorified Android device, but you don't see a mobile phone discharging a battery or power bank when it's completely turned off. The more people who report/RMA, the more seriously this issue will be taken. Ultimately I suspect a firmware update may address this assuming they can find the source of the power drain...

RainaAnatra
Honored Guest
Same issues happening here in my Oculus and my husband's. We just got the Elite straps with battery pack so would assume they're the latest model. It's not a huge deal for me to unplug the battery from the headset, but I do hope they fix this.