cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Forums Maintenance / Platform Change: 2/21-2/24

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support

Edit: Maintenance is now underway. Thanks for your patience!

Hi everyone - I have an update to share: we plan to complete the forum platform transition next week. In order to accommodate this migration, our forums will need to experience a period of downtime. This Oculus Forums maintenance period will begin the evening of February 21st and should end on February 24th. During this time, you will not be able to log into your forum account, which will prevent the creation and editing of any posts or comments. Existing content should still be viewable as a guest user, but may be briefly unavailable as we near completion of the migration.

Once the new forum platform is live, all content that exists on our forums today will be available on the new platform. The interface will look much different, but all of the categories that you are familiar with will be present. When you sign into the new forum platform, you will be presented with a screen asking you for permission to share your Oculus username and email address with the forums. For now, you can expect to see this screen each time you log in.

As a reminder, private messages from our current forums will not be migrated to the new platform. You will also need to rebuild you forum profile once you sign into the new platform for the first time, so if there's any info you have there that you want to bring over, be sure to back it up.

As always, we greatly appreciate your patience and understanding while we work through this transition period!

Original announcement follows:

---

Hey everyone -

First, I just want to say a sincere thank you to everyone on these forums who has helped shape our community over the past 5+ years. It’s been fun to watch the community grow and evolve over that time, continually adding new members and providing opportunities for discussion around new Oculus products, features, and industry developments. With that in mind, I’m excited to announce the next steps for the Oculus Forums.

In January, we will be migrating the forums to a new service provider: Khroros Communities. Our goals in this migration are to provide a more stable and seamless forum experience, better connect users with the assistance or answers they are seeking, and bring the forums more in line with our updated branding. We are putting all of you at the center of the experience and want to make sure that we’re serving your community needs as much as possible. Both the community forums and the developer forums are included in this move.

As part of this migration, all posts and comments will be transferred to the Khoros platform and will remain publicly available. In order to accomplish this, the forums will need to experience a period of extended downtime. This will allow us to make sure that we move all recently made posts when the time comes. We’ll share more details as we get closer to the migration date. Please note that any private messages you have on the forums will not be migrated to the new community.

After the move, you can expect the forums to look and feel different. The UI is going to be getting a bit of an overhaul and things like how forum badges and ranks function will change. As with all things at Oculus, we are always open to hearing feedback from the community and will constantly be looking for areas of improvement. When the new forums launch, you can look forward to a pinned thread where we will be soliciting feedback on how the new community is working for you.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding while we work through these changes. We’re excited for the future of the Oculus community and we hope you are too. In the meantime, see you around the forums (and in VR)! []-)

49 REPLIES 49

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
Looking forward to the new system, Here is one thought for you or the wonderful moderators here. The most frustrating thing for me is seeing an interesting topic at the top, jumping in and then realizing that someone has resurrected a thread that no one has commented in for more than a year. It would be wonderful if the system locked threads that haven't had any activity for a substantial period of time. There is nothing wrong with threads that sit for some time and then new events make them relevant again, but it seems to me that there is a period of time after which a new thread is justified. I especially hate when someone is trying to solve someone's problem from more than a year ago, as if they have been sitting and waiting for someone to help them for a year.

#firstworldproblems

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice to see this is being done, this forum has been long due an overhaul imho.

Richooal
Consultant
"and bring the forums more in line with our updated branding."

@ShowbizDonkey Will it be business as usual for logins or is this the start of facebook logins for the forum?

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:

"and bring the forums more in line with our updated branding."

@ShowbizDonkey Will it be business as usual for logins or is this the start of facebook logins for the forum?

I kinda hope so.  This  may be the only way to get rid of multi-posting FB/Oculus haters.

Maybe a public  archive can be made for non-FB Oculus users?  I kinda doubt that this would be all that useful for new Oculus users but it might assist current non-FB Oculus users for the next couple of years.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Khoros Communities isn't owned by or associated with Facebook, and since the content of this forum (all posts and comments) is being ported to the new platform, we can assume that we will be using the same accounts after the changeover. So, current members using Oculus accounts will presumably be able to continue accessing the forum as they can now (at least, until 2023 when Oculus accounts are discontinued).

All new users since October 11th have needed Facebook accounts to join the forum, since Oculus account creation ended on that date. I would expect that to remain the same going forward.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@nalex66 So how is this change going to effect current moderators?  Maybe more Oculus/FB support staff?  Who knows?  Personally I would like to see both, including yourself.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

nalex66
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

@nalex66 So how is this change going to effect current moderators?  Maybe more Oculus/FB support staff?  Who knows?  Personally I would like to see both, including yourself.

The current group of volunteers will continue to serve on the new forum platform. I haven’t seen the new moderation tools yet, but I imagine they won’t be too different from what we use now. I don’t know if there are plans for any changes on the support staff side. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
This is great news!

It would be awesome if the new forum required a Facebook Login for everyone, including existing users.

Either way though, this type of change is good. And as Tom pointed out, hopefully the change will help increase the amount of fun and constructive posts among members, and help attract those who want to be here for the right reasons.

Upwards and onward!  ❤️

kojack
MVP
MVP
Having existing users require facebook to get help on here would be unfair when there's still 2 years before support for oculus accounts ends.
While the account merging is still optional, or problematic for some, people need to be able to ask for help on it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2